• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reading Buses and Thames Valley

nctd2306

My understanding is that it will initially be used on the new Bracknell Business Improvement District (BID) bus route that performs a loop to/from the railway station for workers on the western an southern industrial estate areas. I can't back this up with a firm source though, as is just what I've been told, so there's every chance it might well end up in a generic Thames Valley livery and the route be operated by any bus going forward. More information about the new route can be found at: https://bracknellbid.co.uk/access/shuttle-bus/#:~:text=Bracknell BID fully funds a,and departures in the evening.
Interesting, I wasn't aware of this but that would make sense, hopefully it becomes a well used service

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duncombec

Saw this in Bracknell today, bearing the fleet number of the deceased YX17 NNM.
Anyone able to shed any light on this replacement 667? (when it was purchased, which routes is it planned to primarily operate, what livery it might receive etc)
There is nothing about it in Robert Williams' (Reading/Thames Valley CEO) March update on April 8th. The ticket machine it is currently carrying has only tracked briefly on 15th and 17th April, so I'd guess it was a relatively recent arrival.

If you're not already a member, Robert posts a monthly update to the Buszone google group, with all the fleet changes in the set month: https://groups.google.com/g/buszone.

nctd2306

There is nothing about it in Robert Williams' (Reading/Thames Valley CEO) March update on April 8th. The ticket machine it is currently carrying has only tracked briefly on 15th and 17th April, so I'd guess it was a relatively recent arrival.

If you're not already a member, Robert posts a monthly update to the Buszone google group, with all the fleet changes in the set month: https://groups.google.com/g/buszone.
I do read these, they are very useful but didn't see anything about this, hence why I enquired here

BlainRhys

382 went into reserve on 14 April, ahead of transfer to Thames Valley Buses for trial operation on routes 234/8/9 next month Which Normally Used By YJ13 HJX

Edvid

Established Member
Robert Williams' latest fleet update (May 2024) includes orders for 53 new Alexander Dennis buses, of which 24 will be ZEBRA2-subsidised Enviro400EVs. (Doesn't specify whether they're integrals or BYD-based)

Dear all,

Here is the latest fleet news from the Reading Buses group of companies.

Orders for a record 53 brand new buses are being announced over the weekend with Alexander Dennis for delivery over the next 12 months – diesel by December 2024 and electric by June 2025 covering investment across two financial years, and partly supported by the government ZEBRA2 funding. This will comprise of the following, which won’t necessarily be delivered in sequence:

3x E400 City (742-744) for Thames Valley Buses Flightline 703 (existing order)

2x E400 City (745-746) for Reading Buses London Line 702

3x E400 City (249-251) for Reading Buses Lion 4/X4

7x E400 City (252-258) for Reading Buses Jet Black 1

6x E400 City (259-264) for Reading Buses generic

8x E200MMC 9.7m for Newbury & District

3x E400EV for Reading Buses generic

15x E400EV for Reading Buses purple 17

6x E400EV for Reading Buses claret 21

A programme of cascades and disposals will follow thereafter to displace E400 ex-hybrids from sky blue, berry and the new University brand amongst other things.

Reading Buses

211 returned from repaint into base University off-white livery on 8 May, and 213 on 15 May.

810 was withdrawn on 4 May.

186 was withdrawn on 10 May.

382 went into reserve on 14 April, ahead of transfer to Thames Valley Buses for trial operation on routes 234/5/8/9.

Withdrawn 182, 186, 803, 810, are on site pending disposal. 1203, 1205, 1206 have been moved to reserve for repair with 1207.

Newbury & District

We are taking delivery of four brand new 86-seat seat-belted Alexander Dennis Enviro400 MMCs on six months lease pending the delivery of new vehicles to Reading later in the year. They are to become 775-778 registered YX24 PCU/PCV/PCY/PCZ, 775/8 arriving in Reading on 1 June, 776 on 4 June and 777 is imminent. They will operate in white Newbury & District livery, and be allocated solely to school and private hire work for the duration of their stay. The intention is that this will release 1202, 788, 863 & 864 for transfer to Reading when they enter service at the end of next week, and that the current jet black vehicles will cascade to N&D in the autumn.

165 gained a new MegaRear for Howdens on 1 June.

Thames Valley Buses

781 returned to service following retrim on 20 May.

795 went away for repaint into Thames Valley Buses generic livery (ex Flightline 703) and retrim on 20 May.

Regards,

Robert

Edvid

Established Member
You may well be right - it certainly isn't marketed by ADL - but a Metroline order for 46 of the BYD version was publicised not a month ago, which implies it is still available on request (but to whom or for how long I don't know).

Goldfish62

Established Member
You may well be right - it certainly isn't marketed by ADL - but a Metroline order for 46 of the BYD version was publicised not a month ago, which implies it is still available on request (but to whom or for how long I don't know).
The BYD version, both E200 and E400 is most definitely no longer offered. I dare say Metroline got their order in just before the rather abrupt ending of the partnership.

BYD are now concentrating on their own integral BD11 for the UK market.

Thames99

Do the extra branded buses for routes 1, 4/X4, 702 and 703 imply an increase in the frequency on any of these services? For instance, running every 15 minutes rather than 20 on the Lion routes possibly?

citybus2500

Are you sure these are BYD/ADL?

Edvid

Established Member
Are you sure these are BYD/ADL?
My thinking (at the time) was the possibility of them being that was not zero, but even then still deemed it more likely the integrals were chosen.

Looking at where the diesel E400Cities will go I wonder if frequency boosts for the 702/703 are planned.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
My thinking (at the time) was the possibility of them being that was not zero, but even then still deemed it more likely the integrals were chosen.

Looking at where the diesel E400Cities will go I wonder if frequency boosts for the 702/703 are planned.
Maybe in partnership with Heathrow?
Do the extra branded buses for routes 1, 4/X4, 702 and 703 imply an increase in the frequency on any of these services? For instance, running every 15 minutes rather than 20 on the Lion routes possibly?
A programme of cascades and disposals will follow thereafter to displace E400 ex-hybrids from sky blue, berry and the new University brand amongst other things.
Quote from Robert Williams' letter above suggests it's unlikely - more probable that they are replacing the ageing Enviro400 hybrids and selling them off, because they are struggling a lot of the time now.

Mollman

Established Member
Maybe in partnership with Heathrow?

Quote from Robert Williams' letter above suggests it's unlikely - more probable that they are replacing the ageing Enviro400 hybrids and selling them off, because they are struggling a lot of the time now.
I see that as refering to the current vehicles on the 17 & 21 being cascaded. The 4/X4, 701&703 have only just got new vehicles.

sp503

I see that as refering to the current vehicles on the 17 & 21 being cascaded. The 4/X4, 701&703 have only just got new vehicles.
I think it is possible that the new Lions are for service enhancements. There is only one old Lion left in the 4/X4 fleet, the three new Lions just to replace that one doesn’t make sense. The Lions are very busy west of Keephatch Gardens and the ever worsening traffic makes the timekeeping a nightmare on the route. I won’t be surprised if the frequency is slightly increased during the peak hours, or the added vehicles simply to stabilise the timetable during peak times.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The new ones for the 703 will be for the recent enhancements, which are currently having to be covered with older buses.

I think it is possible that the new Lions are for service enhancements. There is only one old Lion left in the 4/X4 fleet, the three new Lions just to replace that one doesn’t make sense. The Lions are very busy west of Keephatch Gardens and the ever worsening traffic makes the timekeeping a nightmare on the route. I won’t be surprised if the frequency is slightly increased during the peak hours, or the added vehicles simply to stabilise the timetable during peak times.
Or maybe a return to the pre-Covid frequencies?

MotCO

Established Member
Robert Williams' latest fleet update (May 2024) includes orders for 53 new Alexander Dennis buses, of which 24 will be ZEBRA2-subsidised Enviro400EVs. (Doesn't specify whether they're integrals or BYD-based)

RouteOne confirms that the EVs are integral ADL products.

Reading Buses will receive 24 latest-generation Enviro400EV battery-electric double-deckers as part of a 53-vehicle order placed with Alexander Dennis.
The Enviro400EV fleet and its associated infrastructure are part-funded by a successful bid by Reading Borough Council to the second round of the Zero Emission Bus Regional Areas fund. It was allocated £4.7 million. The operator will upgrade its Great Knollys Street depot with 13 fast chargers that can each handle two buses at once as part of the work.
When the Enviro400EVs are in service from June 2025, they will displace some of the operator’s existing biogas-fuelled vehicles to enable the retirement of older diesel buses. The battery-electrics will be deployed onto the Purple 17 and Claret 21 routes, with the latter serving the University of Reading.
Managing Director Robert Williams says that the Enviro400EV was chosen after “extensive testing of demonstrators from a number of suppliers.” Passenger and driver experience were prioritised in the decision. The model “has the best layout for customers” and drivers like it, Mr Williams adds.
In addition to the battery-electrics, 29 diesel buses will also be procured from Alexander Dennis. 21 Enviro400 double-deckers are to be complemented by eight Enviro200 single-deckers.
The diesel double-deckers will arrive between October and December and will be utilised on longer-distance duties including the Jet Black route between Reading and Newbury and the London Line 702 and Flightline 703 services. Glazed staircases, skylights and tables form part of their high specification level in the same vein as others already in the fleet.
Newbury and District will receive the Enviro200s to completely replace the local fleet there on a mix of commercial and contracted services.
Mr Williams adds that those buses will suit rural applications in West Berkshire. “They will be a real step change for our customers in the area as we bring some more of the Reading Buses sparkle to Newbury and District,” he concludes.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
That's true, although the 21 is getting a rebrand, so they may choose to increase frequency, as well as replace.

Thames99

Reading has registered a new service 28 from Reading to Henley to start on 29th July which presumably will augment or compete with the Reading - Wycombe service.

Details here

Edit: The link is to the correct url - no idea why it says Pardon Our Interruption!

AlastairFraser

Established Member

jackgwycombe

Route 28 will run every 30 minutes Monday to Saturday between Henley and Reading, branded as the Aqua route!
READING Buses has announced plans to introduce a new bus route serving Caversham and Henley-on-Thames next month.

It follows the recent announcement closure of Arriva’s services in High Wycombe and Aylesbury on July 27, which includes the 800/850 that ran the same route.

The new Aqua 28 route will run between Reading, Caversham, Shiplake, and Henley-on-Thames half-hourly from Monday-Saturday and up to hourly on Sundays.

It means that combined ticketing will be introduced to work with the Reading Buses network where passengers are currently required to use separate tickets when travelling towards such as the Royal Berkshire Hospital and the University of Reading.

Last edited by a moderator:

RELL6L

Route 28 will run every 30 minutes Monday to Saturday between Henley and Reading, branded as the Aqua route!

Hmm. Doubt if it will be via the villages. Will be unwanted competition for Carousel, not sure it’s helpful. And this route used to be the 329, not the 328 (and long ago the 28) - this was the 850 via Wargrave.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Hmm. Doubt if it will be via the villages. Will be unwanted competition for Carousel, not sure it’s helpful. And this route used to be the 329, not the 328 (and long ago the 28) - this was the 850 via Wargrave.
It depends - if Carousel can run express up the A4155 instead of through the villages, then they have a better whack at attracting the Henley College student traffic from Reading off GWR (hundreds commute every day from all over the Greater Reading area - I used to be one of them albeit a bike commuter, partly due to Arriva's unreliable service to Henley from my home area!)

It also means that Carousel can use double deckers (omitting the villages route)- difficult with the tree canopy covered lane between Shiplake primary school and the eastern edge of Binfield Heath.

These will be much better at mopping up the crowds from Henley northwards, especially north of Marlow with the crowds of kids pouring on from Great Marlow School/Borlase Grammar School.

Thames99

Don't the 800s run direct along the A4155 already? I thought they stopped going via Dunsden some while ago.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Don't the 800s run direct along the A4155 already? I thought they stopped going via Dunsden some while ago.
Yes, they do, but I suspect Reading Buses will have negotiated with Eye & Dunsden/Binfield Heath parish councils to bring a more regular service back as there is a sizeable amount of traffic from the villages into Reading/Henley for schools/colleges/work (I don't know where exactly you are from, but try driving into central Reading or Henley in the peaks and you'll understand why the bus looks attractive), plus it's a convenient starting point for Chiltern walks to the north.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
It is a bit of a shame that Reading - Sonning Common - Henley has never been seen as a viable option instead of competition along the direct route. The journey time wouldn't be that uncompetitive relative to the Twyford / Wargrave route.

cactustwirly

Established Member
It is a bit of a shame that Reading - Sonning Common - Henley has never been seen as a viable option instead of competition along the direct route.
Well it's very slow with roads that aren't suitable for buses

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Well it's very slow with roads that aren't suitable for buses
No one would try and run a bus via Harpsden, but the route via Greys is suitable for full size buses (as otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get to Henley College many years ago), but I guess it is just too slow for through custom.