• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Really strange PIS pronunciations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Anne says Shroesbury which I flipping hate
. Portalbot

You might hate it, but it was what some residents of Shrewsbury use. It very much depends on which side of the river they come from.

And again, Portalbot is correct and what the locals use. If you wanted otherwise there would be two Ts in the middle!

seagull

As one of my GCSE English Literature studies was "The Taming of the Shrow", and as I'm a member of train crow, I will continue to pronounce Scrobbesbyrig the correct way....
... Salop :D

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
By that logic any place that people pronounce incorrectly has no correct pronunciation! I don't agree.

Marley-bone is correct pronunciation, as stated in the Bakerloo Line announcements

If people from the Midlands get it wrong, I'd like to know what they would think of someone calling Leicester 'Lei-cester' instead of 'Lester'; it's the same principle.
I'm a Londoner born and bred and I pronounce it Marra lebone. I've never heard any Londoner pronounce it differently, not that it comes up in conversation very often.

lightbulb

Yes, and another one in London that few pronounce correctly is Holborn: it's now usually Holl-born instead of Hoe-bn.

bearhugger

The female voice on the Scotrail 156s (which do a couple of trips per day from or to Newcastle) get Prudhoe wrong, saying "Prood-hoe" in a delightful Scottish accent!

Or at least that was the case two or three years ago, it might have changed since.
Tyndrum is officially TIEN DRUM - with the TIE sound from the men's item of neckwear - but some people say TIN DRUM.

Newcastle - yes heard a lot of different ways including NEW CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASL - which is a bit OTT!

Yes been on a train through Prudhoe and can attest to it being prounced as the poster above says - which I thought was right at the time - clearly not!
I think improvements have been made for Prudhoe, I have heard the correct pronunciation of Prudder a lot more over the lat year.
And to add some of my own that I have heard on my local line, Commondale was pronounced more like Come On Dale, Ruswarp has a silent w but announced Rus-warp as in warp drive in the starship Enterprise from Star Trek, and Battersby occassionally gets Batteeerrsby.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
The make announcer on platforms 3 and 4 at Bristol Parkway pronounces Didcot as 'Did-cut', Weston-super-Mare as 'Weston-SOOPERMARE' as if Super-Mare is all one word, and Cheltenham as 'Chel-TEN-ham', with extra emphasis on the 'ten' (in reality we all pronounce Cheltenham as 'Cheltnham').

O L Leigh

Established Member
The PIS at Cambridge announces slow GN/TL stoppers as calling at Ashwell...

...and Morden!!

Mind you, the EMR one at Melting Mowbray seems to be suffering from a brain injury as it says "Ooor-or-dley End".

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
I know this is a bus rather than a train one (although in my defence, the OP never restricted themselves to trains!), but the 115 in East London has - or, at least a couple of years ago had - an announcement for (something like) 'Plaistow High Street for Plaistow Leisure Centre', one of the Plaistow's being 'Plar-stow' and the other being 'Play-stow'. (Another on the same bus route had 'Plaistow, Prince Regent Lane' but was announced as 'Plaistow Prince, Regent Lane'...)

When Overground trains first ran south of New Cross Gate, the class 378 on train announcement used to give a station call at Brokely

bramling

Veteran Member
The 365s also used to announce ‘This train is for bLondon kings cross’, before the system was replaced.

St Neots is a bit of an odd one as there seems to be quite a body of local opinion which apparently says it should be “St Neets”. However as someone (reasonably) local I’ve always known it as “St Knee-ots” and this is the majority view.

Dave W

Rowley Regis is often mis pronounced as "Rowlee" i.e. as in row row row your boat! Instead of row as in argument!

I remember Phil Sayer’s Birmingham NS recording doing this - of course it was very rarely heard - I do remember having a 150 off 4c around Galton Jn in the late 2000s on a Saturday morning.

I’ve also heard Crad-lee for Cradley Heath - the locals wouldn’t be happy.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I've seen people in this thread complaining about Shrowsbury. I've picked my hill to die on and its that hill, Shrowsbury is right and Shrewsbury is just plain wrong.

I'm not sure if its still the case but back in ATW days the auto-announcer on the 175s used the put massive stress on the a in Cwmbran. CwmbrAAAAAAAAAn.

People from Shropshire pronounce it as Shrewsbury. No idea where Shrowsbury comes from, it's wrong.

seagull

People from Shropshire pronounce it as Shrewsbury. No idea where Shrowsbury comes from, it's wrong.

The 'shrow' pronunciation is from the very ancient name 'Scrobbesbyrig' which was pronounced 'Scrow-birz-birree'. However with the modern spelling, I tend to prefer to pronounce it as Shrew. But as said in my earlier post, calling it Salop is even easier.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm a Londoner born and bred and I pronounce it Marra lebone. I've never heard any Londoner pronounce it differently, not that it comes up in conversation very often.
Only people I’ve heard of calling it this is northerners or people who think they’re being clever.

From an article online:

How do you pronounce Marylebone correctly?
Buckle up because the pronunciation of Marylebone is hotly disputed. Nevertheless, I have hunted down the correct pronunciations, yes pronunciations, because there are two, they are very similar and both are correct. How did I nail down the pronunciation? When I was in London as a child, I asked for directions to Marylebone and mispronounced it. My pronunciation was quickly and firmly corrected by a very English gentleman. More recently, I researched the pronunciation and went on a mission of asking every Londoner I could find how to pronounce Marylebone. My investigation began by speaking to a true Cockney in her 70's, born within earshot of the Bow Bells which is how Cockneys are traditionally defined. She didn't hesitate: MAH:lee:bone or MAH:lee:bun, either are acceptable, no other variation has the right to exist, and therefore it cannot possibly be correct.

The 'marry-le-bun' pronunciation of Marylebone
I wrote an article on the definitive pronunciation and then the fun began. Someone posted a flurry of comments insisting that the correct pronunciation is 'marry-le-bun'. I started asking every Londoner I could find if they had ever heard this one. They were all bewildered that anyone could possibly suggest it and dismissed it out of hand. The 'marry-le-bun' proponent or proponents have been most determined to make this the definitive pronunciation. Several sites, no doubt after receiving the same barrage of messages I got, caved and amended their pronunciation of Marylebone to reflect this version. They were so successful that even Google offered it as the only pronunciation in their short summaries at the top of search results. It's clear that a subset of Londoners use it, incorrectly if you ask me, but it's not the generally accepted pronunciation. Several Londoners weighed in on the comments on my article, firmly denouncing 'marry-le-bun' and agreeing that the two versions I offered were absolutely correct. In order to ensure I had the last word, I went to a step further and looked up businesses in Marylebone and called them up to find out how they pronounced it. My sleuthing confirmed that MAH:lee:bone and MAH:lee:bun are absolutely correct. I asked if they had heard of marry-le-bun or any other variation and the answer was a resounding NO. The definitive and correct pronunciation is not up for discussion and they were nothing short of shocked that anyone would suggest it let alone defend it. The jury is in: you say Marylebone like MAH:lee:bun or MAH:ee:bone.

TheEdge

Established Member

Last time I checked my birth certificate and the first 13 years of my life I'm from Shropshire. And I heard Shrowsbury far more than Shrewsbury.

Energy

Established Member
By that logic any place that people pronounce incorrectly has no correct pronunciation! I don't agree.

Marley-bone is correct pronunciation, as stated in the Bakerloo Line announcements

If people from the Midlands get it wrong, I'd like to know what they would think of someone calling Leicester 'Lei-cester' instead of 'Lester'; it's the same principle.
Marley-bone is the correct way of pronouncing it in my opinion but Marylebone has a couple ways of pronouncing it which have been accepted by most people, very few people would accept Lei-cester and may struggle at first to figure out what you are talking about while people know both pronunciations of Marylebone.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Last time I checked my birth certificate and the first 13 years of my life I'm from Shropshire. And I heard Shrowsbury far more than Shrewsbury.

My maternal extended family are Shropshire born and bred, and 100% they all agree Shrewsbury is the correct pronunciation. They say people who pronounce it Shrowsbury come from outside the area.
The colloquial nickname for it is also "Shrews".

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
The TFW announcements when stood on a station that mention Helsby are brilliant - “Helsbyyyyyyyyy” with a rising intonation.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
The make announcer on platforms 3 and 4 at Bristol Parkway pronounces Didcot as 'Did-cut', Weston-super-Mare as 'Weston-SOOPERMARE' as if Super-Mare is all one word, and Cheltenham as 'Chel-TEN-ham', with extra emphasis on the 'ten' (in reality we all pronounce Cheltenham as 'Cheltnham').

And I know of residents of Chel-TEN-ham pronounce it like that!

74A

The welsh announcement at Cardiff announced Nailsea and Blackwell (not Backwell) when I was there the other day.

TheEdge

Established Member
My maternal extended family are Shropshire born and bred, and 100% they all agree Shrewsbury is the correct pronunciation. They say people who pronounce it Shrowsbury come from outside the area.
The colloquial nickname for it is also "Shrews".

Like I say, I heard Shrowsbury a lot more than Shrewsbury. It seems every time someone tries to get a definitive answer it comes up that both are widely used among locals, although Shrewsbury appears to be slightly higher use.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Like I say, I heard Shrowsbury a lot more than Shrewsbury. It seems every time someone tries to get a definitive answer it comes up that both are widely used among locals, although Shrewsbury appears to be slightly higher use.
I wonder if it's how a Brummie would pronounce it

Alex27

When travelling in the reading - Waterloo line with SWR, I find the pronunciation quite funny 'Water loOo' (the upper case 'O' being higher), not necessarily wrong, just funny

Whistler40145

Established Member
Recently travelling on a Class 331 to Manchester Piccadilly from Blackpool North and Salwick was incorrectly announced as Sallick.

aar0

Oh and worst of all is on 800s to Swansea

We’ll be calling at: Reading. Didcot Parkway. Ssssswwwwinnnnndon. Newport. Cardiff CentralBRIDGEnd. Portalbot Parkway

It's Cardiff that annoys me most. "Cardiff SEN-tral". Although the pause in "Swan-see" is odd too

njr001

Some while ago TM announcement this train will be calling at Peterborough, Doncaster and Yuk (York)

Status
Not open for further replies.