• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RealTimeTrains website

Aictos

Established Member
Remarkable progress in a bit over a year!

Hopefully GWR and WMR are next.
Meh, Thameslink, Southern, Great Northern, South Eastern and eventually Gatwick Express would cover a greater area so hope it won't be long before they work with RTT to display train formations.

As to TransPennine only showing Class 68 allocation and not the carriages, personally I think anyone moaning about this is nitpicking as the loco allocation is all we need.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveyBee131

Brilliant progress! Well done and thank you to all those working behind the scenes to make it happen:D

My personal hoped for is EMR, but I'm most grateful for all the effort that goes into bringing together whatever is made available

_toommm_

Established Member
Brilliant progress! Well done and thank you to all those working behind the scenes to make it happen:D

My personal hoped for is EMR, but I'm most grateful for all the effort that goes into bringing together whatever is made available

EMR have tweeted before they’re working with RTT to bring unit numbers to the public.

Chris217

Well done again to the team at,RTT.

Would be fantastic the day when DBS and Freightliner could be added.
One amazing site though.Top Job.

Tom

Oh yes, only in the text, not on the picture - sorry.
Due to the way the Nova 3 sets get allocated against their diagrams, it was impossible to show the number of the locomotive on the diagram. The loco number will, generally, be listed in the operational info box though.

We are waiting GWR also but they hardly get a mention
RTT receives emails daily asking why operators aren't there and to request them. However... there's no real point requesting the operators to RTT, as these days I simply do not ask them - there is no point and it is a waste of my time, they come to me. I asked two operators in the early days after the first launch and neither of them have yet to come to fruition. All of the operators live today (apart from the first three) have come about from them approaching me.

Highlandspring

Established Member
I’m interested in how the Swanage Railway times are being recorded. Is there a heritage railway equivalent of TRUST reporting in use or is it done by GPS on the rolling stock or some other exotic system? Either way it’s a great development and I hope a few more preserved railways will take it up.

spark001uk

Established Member
Quick question, what causes these sorts of little formation anomalies? Eg:
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:L58365/2021-05-24/detailed#allox_id=0
comes empties into the station as 12 car, then leaves 2 minutes later on:
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:L55815/2021-05-24/detailed#allox_id=0
as an 8 car?

There's no time to detach, and in any case a few mins after it departs, another 12 car rolls in, so it couldn't leave a unit behind?
Also as a side note, the empties showed 450069, and on the onward service it changed to 450569, although it shows correctly now.?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Also as a side note, the empties showed 450069, and on the onward service it changed to 450569, although it shows correctly now.?
I think the former 450/5s are still shown as such on at least one of the internal feeds from which RTT source the data, which would explain that.

This would affect 450 043 to 450 070 inclusive.

On Moderation
Quick question, what causes these sorts of little formation anomalies? Eg:
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:L58365/2021-05-24/detailed#allox_id=0
comes empties into the station as 12 car, then leaves 2 minutes later on:
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:L55815/2021-05-24/detailed#allox_id=0
as an 8 car?

There's no time to detach, and in any case a few mins after it departs, another 12 car rolls in, so it couldn't leave a unit behind?
That's because SWR still haven't renumbered 450543-570 on the system, despite it being well over 12 months since they were physically re-numbered back to 450043-070. Not good, seeing as numbering is a critical piece of information for operations and maintenance.

Question for anyone who drives them: have they be altered in the cabs and have other items (e.g. TMS and GSM-R) been changed?

spark001uk

Established Member
I did assume that. However, why did it show as /0 on the inward to the platform, yet /5 minutes later on its outward?

Tom

Different inbound sources of data.

I’m interested in how the Swanage Railway times are being recorded. Is there a heritage railway equivalent of TRUST reporting in use or is it done by GPS on the rolling stock or some other exotic system? Either way it’s a great development and I hope a few more preserved railways will take it up.
It uses hardware onboard the trains.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I did assume that. However, why did it show as /0 on the inward to the platform, yet /5 minutes later on its outward?

RTT uses more than one source of data, and I'm fairly sure Tom or someone else involved posted a few months ago that they'd made a manual fix to "translate" the numbers ( so that what the railway says is 450 543 shows on RTT as 450 043 etc etc ); that obviously would depend to a great extent on the actual source of the data in question.

TEW

Established Member
That's because SWR still haven't renumbered 450543-570 on the system, despite it being well over 12 months since they were physically re-numbered back to 450043-070. Not good, seeing as numbering is a critical piece of information for operations and maintenance.

Question for anyone who drives them: have they be altered in the cabs and have other items (e.g. TMS and GSM-R) been changed?
The printed numbers have been changed in the cabs, but pretty sure the TMS still has them down as /5s.

Western 52

Anyone know what VVR means for the third train in the attached screenshot?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210601-091342_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210601-091342_Samsung Internet.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 109

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Anyone know what VVR means for the third train in the attached screenshot?
VVR is to VSTP as VAR is to WTT. In other words a schedule created on the day by Control, but which has since been altered.

Tom

To tidy this off:

VST - STP schedule under VSTP arrangements
VVR - VAR schedule under VSTP arrangements, note that this does not discriminate between a VST that has received a variation, a WTT that has received a VAR. You can also get stacks of VARs on top of each other in VSTP world. Or indeed a totally new schedule that has come through as a VAR.
VCN - schedule CANcelled under VSTP arrangements, sometimes they come with the nightly service plan agreement for the next day's services which appear as a PG cancel too, but sometimes not.

tl;dr VSTP is a mess.

berneyarms

Established Member
To tidy this off:

VST - STP schedule under VSTP arrangements
VVR - VAR schedule under VSTP arrangements, note that this does not discriminate between a VST that has received a variation, a WTT that has received a VAR. You can also get stacks of VARs on top of each other in VSTP world. Or indeed a totally new schedule that has come through as a VAR.
VCN - schedule CANcelled under VSTP arrangements, sometimes they come with the nightly service plan agreement for the next day's services which appear as a PG cancel too, but sometimes not.

tl;dr VSTP is a mess.
Thanks a million for these handy explainers - perhaps they could be added to the website itself at some point to stave off more questions than necessary?

Triumph

Today there are 5 390 set's running the wrong way round, however, none of them have been picked up on RTT?
I thought which way round the stock is would be an important factor, especially if anyone is relying on it when boarding.

skyhigh

Established Member
Today there are 5 390 set's running the wrong way round, however, none of them have been picked up on RTT?
I thought which way round the stock is would be an important factor, especially if anyone is relying on it when boarding.
Realtimetrains simply displays the data that is provided to it by the train company. If that's wrong, RTT will be wrong.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but now GTR is publishing train loading information (an average of loading per train, per station, not real-time*) for some services - could that data be included in RTT?

* As such, it won't help during disruption or where there might be a special event, exceptionally nice weather etc.

Tom

I imagine that GTR are publishing this into Darwin. So, for the normal Darwin related reasons, that's a hard nope until the licensing situation changes... if it ever does.

Roger B

I imagine that GTR are publishing this into Darwin. So, for the normal Darwin related reasons, that's a hard nope until the licensing situation changes... if it ever does.
Perhaps when the changes to becoming Great British Railways become more embedded, the doors may open for all national operators to share their data. I'd expect the TOCs to become less autocratic.