• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RealTimeTrains website

ChewChewTrain

Like others, I’m very grateful for the presence of RTT and the work that goes into it. Can I ask Tom whether the new iOS app is still in development, and when it’s likely to be available? The FAQ says mid-2020, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it’s simply been delayed rather than abandoned. The lack of an app is really the only reason why I don’t use RTT as my default resource when I want to get quick train running information.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I won’t speak for Tom but in my personal opinion since the RTT website has been pretty well-optimised now for viewing on mobile devices, why would there be any need for a separate app? Developing an app for android/iOS would presumably require additional development resources — time that I would rather see being spent on improving the already excellent service as a whole for all users (desktop and mobile), rather than a small subset of the website’s traffic.

Is there anything that would prevent you setting a home screen shortcut to the mobile site on your phone, which would provide you with the ease of access that an app would otherwise give?

takno

Established Member
A quick(er) fix would maybe be to add the required metadata for RTT to be treated as a "progressive web app"
I'd tend to agree that's a quicker solution, and gives you pretty much everything apart from alarms, and push notifications on iOS (for the moment - they're allegedly coming). It's not at all trivial to set this up and maintain it well, but it's a whole world easier than developing a native app and then wasting half your life trying to get it past the app-store police at the moment.

anamyd

On Moderation
Like others, I’m very grateful for the presence of RTT and the work that goes into it. Can I ask Tom whether the new iOS app is still in development, and when it’s likely to be available? The FAQ says mid-2020, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it’s simply been delayed rather than abandoned. The lack of an app is really the only reason why I don’t use RTT as my default resource when I want to get quick train running information.

Thanks.
"Apps" are no longer necessary for accessing mobile websites on modern smartphones that are more than capable of running them.

anamyd

On Moderation
Why is nothing stated on the about page or help page on RTT about the search functionality exclusive to the "quick search"? Only the non-exclusive ability to enter a station into it is mentioned, ironically.

I only found out a few months ago that you can search by headcode on RTT (only from the "quick search) because a friend told me, who had found out somehow. And it wasn't until today that I found (from the same friend) that you can also enter a unit number into the "quick search".

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I only found out a few months ago that you can search by headcode on RTT (only from the "quick search) because a friend told me, who had found out somehow. And it wasn't until today that I found (from the same friend) that you can also enter a unit number into the "quick search".

I only ever use the search function for unit numbers, I thought that was the principal use of it by just about everyone! I'm not really bothered about head codes so I never search for them.

Established Member
I only ever use the search function for unit numbers, I thought that was the principal use of it by just about everyone! I'm not really bothered about head codes so I never search for them.
Traincrew use headcode search all the time.

I use it almost daily to see where the train I am due to pick up is.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Traincrew use headcode search all the time.

I use it almost daily to see where the train I am due to pick up is.

Fair enough. That's got to be handy when deciding if needing to neck the last of the coffee before the train arrives or whatever! :lol: Genuine question though, and I'm probably missing something obvious, do the TOCs not provide such information to their staff through a staff-only system?

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Fair enough. That's got to be handy when deciding if needing to neck the last of the coffee before the train arrives or whatever! :lol: Genuine question though, and I'm probably missing something obvious, do the TOCs not provide such information to their staff through a staff-only system?
They do, but RTT is probably a lot quicker to search on.

There seems to be a problem as no unit numbers appearing on RTT today across the country, I have sent an email to RTT, not sure
if any staff are in the office though today.
Can anybody else see any units on RTT ???

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
There seems to be a problem as no unit numbers appearing on RTT today across the country, I have sent an email to RTT, not sure
if any staff are in the office though today.
Someone mentioned on Facebook that their internal system was playing up today so couldn't see allocations, maybe something to do with that?

EDIT: just had a quick look on RTT and the TfW allocations appear to be showing, but nothing else for now.

Established Member
They supply drivers with nothing that isn't already on a public website.

I use RTT or OpenTrainMaps because it shows where the train is rather than just the estimated arrival time, and I can use it on my own phone instead of getting the iPad out of my bag.

Also useful at terminal stations to check on the inbound stock and find out what platform you need to go to.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
They supply drivers with nothing that isn't already on a public website.

I use RTT or OpenTrainMaps because it shows where the train is rather than just the estimated arrival time, and I can use it on my own phone instead of getting the iPad out of my bag.

Also useful at terminal stations to check on the inbound stock and find out what platform you need to go to.

Fair enough, certainly makes sense when the alternative is putting everything down to load up and use an iPad.

bengley

Established Member
RTT is so bloody useful now it has freight headcodes in even when they're not activated yet. I use it all the time for work purposes - for example, I was meant to be working 6M75 tonight from Warrington to Hardendale, before popping to bed for a few hours checked it and saw it was cancelled. Quick call to control and I'm no longer needed to go in and thus I can cancel my early bedtime :D

Established Member
RTT is so bloody useful now it has freight headcodes in even when they're not activated yet. I use it all the time for work purposes - for example, I was meant to be working 6M75 tonight from Warrington to Hardendale, before popping to bed for a few hours checked it and saw it was cancelled. Quick call to control and I'm no longer needed to go in and thus I can cancel my early bedtime :D
This service was cancelled due to the train crew not being available (FE).

Because you are at home...? :)

WAB

do the TOCs not provide such information to their staff through a staff-only system?
They do, but it is worth noting that the industry in general uses public systems like RTT, OpenTrainMaps, even Wikipedia(!) a lot more than you might expect.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
They do, but it is worth noting that the industry in general uses public systems like RTT, OpenTrainMaps, even Wikipedia(!) a lot more than you might expect.

That does surprise me a bit, I was honestly expecting there to be a more useful service (what it would be I don't know!) that covers basically everything at a higher level than publically accessible services.

Tom

I notice that the mobile version of search has become squashed down a bit, which makes it more fiddly to use.
This is a deliberate test to make the search button easier to hit without having to scroll to hit the search button behind the footer ad on some mobile devices (things like the iPhone 8 on large print text were hiding it.)

Vast majority of quick searches are for locations, unsurprisingly.

ABB125

Established Member
This is a deliberate test to make the search button easier to hit without having to scroll to hit the search button behind the footer ad on some mobile devices (things like the iPhone 8 on large print text were hiding it.)
Interesting - this is what my phone does:
Screenshot_20221024-110234.png
The search button is mostly visible, but still slightly covered. But this is much better than before.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Actually I find the main usability issue is nothing to do with the search button, but with the absence of +1hour and -1hour buttons in simple mode. I often find myself having to enter detailed mode even if I only want the simple information for this reason, as manually changing the time is rather fiddly on a mobile device.

bengley

Established Member
Actually I find the main usability issue is nothing to do with the search button, but with the absence of +1hour and -1hour buttons in simple mode. I often find myself having to enter detailed mode even if I only want the simple information for this reason, as manually changing the time is rather fiddly on a mobile device.
Agreed 100%

Established Member
Agreed 100%
In the quick search box you can type a time, for example "EUS at 1800"