• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Recommendation for boots to wear while driving trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

O L Leigh

Established Member
All I will say is don't get the brogues. They are the most comfortable for normal use but the soles are too thin so walking on ballast quickly becomes painful.

Does your company not issue you with safety shoes?

PupCuff

Worth noting that each company will have its own requirements on safety footwear standards so worth speaking to your manager first to get info on what standards yours need to meet, last thing you want to do is buy some expensive ones then get pulled up on them not meeting the spec.

Grvrdvicdr

All I will say is don't get the brogues. They are the most comfortable for normal use but the soles are too thin so walking on ballast quickly becomes painful.

Does your company not issue you with safety shoes?
Yes however with anything company issue give it time they apart

Nym

Established Member
Worth noting that each company will have its own requirements on safety footwear standards so worth speaking to your manager first to get info on what standards yours need to meet, last thing you want to do is buy some expensive ones then get pulled up on them not meeting the spec.
You assume here that companies' purchasing departments or line managers understand enough about the specifications and requirements of safety footwear for this to be the case?

Last edited:

wobman

On Moderation
Any current drivers able to Recommend a good pair of boots?
We get a list off our DM and I always go for the best boots I can get, they are free and I buy comfy insoles. I can't wear the shoes with walking on the ballast kills your feet with thin soled shoes

PupCuff

You assume here that companies' purchasing departments or line managers understand enough about the specifications and requirements of safety footwear for this to be the case?
You would hope line managers at least know the right person to ask. If the procurement teams and purchasing department are on the ball then local teams shouldn't be able to order unapproved items (though they do from time to time slip through the net - the regular cries when you pull up something blatantly non-compliant of "ohhh, but the system let me order it so I thought it was fine").

scotraildriver

Established Member
Our company recently started having Dewalt LASER boots as a choice. Highly recommended.

REO Nate

I spent years trying boots for a former occupation and without doubt the best were - Altberg - paired with a good quality insole, which they can supply.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Non railway but factory. I have had various free issue and went back to DeWalt after ceasing to wear a pair of expensive Heckel RunB I was being told i had to upgrade to. They were light but I felt like I was wearing cardboard boxes - I could hardly walk by the end of the day rather more a shuffle.

So I think comfort is paramount if you are going to walk a lot. Don't get distracted by the most expensive free issue you can get. Advice I have also heard is err on the side of too big. If too big you can always wear thick socks but if too small you will never stretch the toe area on boots with protective toe caps !.

A friend of a friend drives bin lorries. He is off work now due to bad legs (calf muscle iirc) - caused by jumping down from the cab and landing badly on in-flexible boots. The problem built up over many years. So remember to walk / jump differently if you have not had experience.

bouff34

I spent years trying boots for a former occupation and without doubt the best were - Altberg - paired with a good quality insole, which they can supply.
Yep, Altberg definitely the best but pretty expensive - used them extensively as general patrol boots and also public order boots whilst in the police. Don't bother spending extra on the 'Aqua' versions - yes they might be a little more waterproof but the trade off is that they are hotter/sweatier in warm conditions! How often will you actually be stood in standing water?? But they are expensive....

Doc Martens - absolutely no no no. Unless they have improved things the first time they get seriously wet the cardboard based insole just falls apart - maybe ok for fashion but no way a serious work boot.

REO Nate

Yep, Altberg definitely the best but pretty expensive - used them extensively as general patrol boots and also public order boots whilst in the police. Don't bother spending extra on the 'Aqua' versions - yes they might be a little more waterproof but the trade off is that they are hotter/sweatier in warm conditions! How often will you actually be stood in standing water?? But they are expensive....

Doc Martens - absolutely no no no. Unless they have improved things the first time they get seriously wet the cardboard based insole just falls apart - maybe ok for fashion but no way a serious work boot.

Yep, the same thoughts as you about the aqua. My favourite for patrol were the Field and Fell, P3 for Level 2 and Bahn Rider for motorcycling.

Aivilo

I've always paid out for magnums personally. They last well are comfortable and if your lazy like me can get them with zips

Agreed. Wore them daily in my former jobs. Now wear the Peacekeeper P3s that meet the PPE requirements for a railway boot.

Newapplicant

I don't work for a TOC so cannot speak to the standards required for a boot however I do work within the police and the boot of choice for most if not all officers are either Altberg (which I have myself specifically the Peacekeeper P1 Aqua's) or AKUs.

The Altbergs genuinely feel like high top trainers that are so comfortable and are great to run in should you need to.

I'm not going to lie both the AKUs and Altbergs are quite expensive however I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for.

Volvictof

Altbergs for sure. My last pair lasted 8 years of everyday use (before working on the railway) and only now need new soles. But I’ve ordered a new pair so I’m not without them for a month or two. (The Altberg factory do different levels of refurbishment at owners request) they will last a lifetime if cared for. Ive ordered the “Warrior microlite” military boot.
I’d say the same about not bothering with waterproof. I’ve found if kept polished or dubbin’d they’ll be pretty watertight anyway.

They conform to my TOCs standards in being supportive and having an anti slip sole (we don’t need steel toecaps).
they are super comfortable and supportive but also super flexible.

I could also recommend “Lowas“ a similar type of boot but I find a lot chunkier and solid. Not as flexible but just as comfortable.

price of all of these is up towards the £200 mark but for a pair of boots that will last you years and keep your feet in good working order, it’s totally worth it.
I’m sure many people will read this and think “I’m just driving trains, why on earth would I need anything other than a basic work shoe/boot that I’ll get for free?” But you spend every working day wearing them so why not have the best?

vikingdriver

What is the sizing like in these Altbergs? Would be going half a size bigger anyway for thicker socks but do they run true to size in the first place?

Towers

Established Member
Doc Martin have, so we're told, left the safety boot market!

Newapplicant

What is the sizing like in these Altbergs? Would be going half a size bigger anyway for thicker socks but do they run true to size in the first place?
The sizing is fairly accurate.

I have a size 10 and they are fairly fit to form.

I do however wear a pair of walkers socks too which are a lot thicker than most pairs of socks as I feel it gives added comfort of being on your feet 10-12 hours a day.

If you live near Richmond then Altberg has a store where you can try on their boots and see what works best for you. Best of all it's where their workshop is located too so you can see stuff being made.

Volvictof

There is info and advice on sizing on their website. They seem about true to size to me though.
alternativly you can go into the factory for a fitting if you’re passing *Richmond.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
What about sizing? I was size 9 (43) in my twenties, but now I had to get size 47 after trying 45, 46.

Does the employer provide a second pair? Privately I have three pairs just in case.

REO Nate

I've had about 6 pairs of Altbergs over the years, including P1's, P3's Field and Fell and Clubman Motorcycle boots.

All have been true to size. I have quite wide feet and their wide fitting is more than roomy enough for me.

Stigy

Established Member
But they are free. Just go and see your Depot Admin and ask for a pair of shoes.
Indeed….and generally you just get them replaced when they wear out so if they only last a month, they only last a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.