• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Remaining Northern Line Bank upgrades following major blockade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmyd

I wonder if this extra new entrance is now needed at all - I only ask since whenever I use the new Bloomberg entrance which leads down to the Drain it is always deserted. I am sure people use it in the peaks but for occasional travellers entering from the street it’s also a ridiculously long way round to reach any other line - ive not seen any signage to suggest this is really only the best entrance for the W&C and you can reach any other line quicker (and more pleasantly) at street level.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It will allow step free access to the Northern line and a much more direct and reliable step-free route to the DLR.

ijmad

Established Member
It may also divert some Northern/DLR passengers who want to continue their journey westwards on the District Line. Time difference will be pretty marginal but if you walk up to the new entrance and across the road to Cannon Street it may be a far more pleasant experience than squeezing through the crowded Bank/Monument interchange passageways.

In the same vein, some Northern Line passengers on their way to places like Hayes, Dartford or Gravesend may be inclined to change to their mainline train home at Cannon Street rather than wait to change at London Bridge, particularly given how long the walk is now at London Bridge.

rebmcr

Established Member
In the same vein, some Northern Line passengers on their way to places like Hayes, Dartford or Gravesend may be inclined to change to their mainline train home at Cannon Street rather than wait to change at London Bridge, particularly given how long the walk is now at London Bridge.
Better chance of a seat, too.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
It may also divert some Northern/DLR passengers who want to continue their journey westwards on the District Line. Time difference will be pretty marginal but if you walk up to the new entrance and across the road to Cannon Street it may be a far more pleasant experience than squeezing through the crowded Bank/Monument interchange passageways.

<nitpick>Hayes trains all go from Charing Cross now! </nitpick>

ijmad

Established Member
<nitpick>Hayes trains all go from Charing Cross now! </nitpick>
Gah! I don't go to Hayes very often as you can probably tell.

Well still, any and all current Cannon Street destinations will be in play for this new route!

Mikey C

Established Member
The Cannon Street entrance has now opened. "Ian Visits" has quite a detailed article about it. I hadn't realised HOW much bigger this was than the other entrances!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The Cannon Street entrance has now opened. "Ian Visits" has quite a detailed article about it. I hadn't realised HOW much bigger this was than the other entrances!

Yes, we discussed earlier how it could potentially cause the most significant changes to passenger flows out of all the combined parts of the project. For example you’d expect it to be a much better exit or entrance route than going through Monument‘s street entrances.

PS

A video report has appeared this afternoon.
(The video includes the new escalators and the lift routes between Cannon St and both the Northern and DLR platforms, also reviews the earlier improvements to the station, such as the travelators to the Central line.)

Last edited:

Basil Jet

On Moderation
A video report has appeared this afternoon.
(The video includes the new escalators and the lift routes between Cannon St and both the Northern and DLR platforms, also reviews the earlier improvements to the station, such as the travelators to the Central line.)

Thanks. At 2m51s there is an entrance to the northbound Northern Line platform where a line map for the Northbound is on the left side of the entrance and a line guide for the southbound is inexplicably on the right. It does have an arrow pointing away from the platform, but why is it here? Do they think a lot of people get off the northbound trains and immediately change to the southbound trains?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks. At 2m51s there is an entrance to the northbound Northern Line platform where a line map for the Northbound is on the left side of the entrance and a line guide for the southbound is inexplicably on the right. It does have an arrow pointing away from the platform, but why is it here? Do they think a lot of people get off the northbound trains and immediately change to the southbound trains?
Good question.

I wonder if it’s designed to catch someone who’s ended up accidentally on the wrong platform because they missed the fact it’s right hand running through the station, despite all the other overhead signage?

ag1816

It's because the directions from the original Northern line and DLR ticket hall (with the lifts to just above the Northern line) lead you to the northbound platform, not the central corridor (this way is signed as "No entry"). So, the official way to the Southbound platform from the original entrances is via the northernmost part of the northbound platform, which accordingly has yellow hatching on the ground.

ijmad

Established Member
Bank Capacity Upgrade is complete now but there are still areas of the station in something of a state of disrepair (at least last time I was there), missing ceiling panels, tiles, damaged signs, etc.

Is there budget left to sort these things out?

Russel

I used Bank on Friday for the first time in a while and couldn't believe how different it was, it's a big improvement.

It'll always be one of those stations that I'll never memorise the layout of though.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
It's because the directions from the original Northern line and DLR ticket hall (with the lifts to just above the Northern line) lead you to the northbound platform, not the central corridor (this way is signed as "No entry"). So, the official way to the Southbound platform from the original entrances is via the northernmost part of the northbound platform, which accordingly has yellow hatching on the ground.
Wow. Thanks!

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I had a nosey at it on Tuesday, seemed fairly well used at an off peak time.

I wonder if the odd little lift almost in the church is still there? Next to Starbucks on King William St

ijmad

Established Member
I had a nosey at it on Tuesday, seemed fairly well used at an off peak time.

I wonder if the odd little lift almost in the church is still there? Next to Starbucks on King William St

This one. I would hope they'll keep it. After all there's only one lift down to the DLR level from the Cannon Street entrance, makes sense to have a backup.

ijmad

Established Member
What was that archway originally before being re-purposed as a lift?

The building is a church called St Mary Woolnoth. Its crypt was acquired by the City and South London Railway in 1897 to build Bank station, when the church was underpinned by steel girders before they dug out what is now the Northern line ticket hall. So this corner of the church has been controlled by TfL and its predecessors for well over 100 years, I'm not sure how it looked before the DLR lift was built, but I'd guess that something to do with that station has been under that arch for many decades.

Mikey C

Established Member
The Cannon Street entrance will be closed this weekend. Additional work required?

ijmad

Established Member
Obviously I don't know for sure, but it could either be some snags they're resolving, or something to do with the oversite development.

Status
Not open for further replies.