• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Remaining Northern Line Bank upgrades following major blockade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Do we know when the new travelators will open with the central line? That will make bank station a bit unique as it will now have for travelators in the one station, assuming of course that the Waterloo and city ones have been retained which I don't know for certain as haven't been that way for years and could easily have missed their removal

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Basil Jet

On Moderation
The Battersea branch is going to six minute headways on June 27th. The new working timetable is on the TfL site.

By "that new cavern is HUGE" do you mean the former southbound platform that we've all been using for the last century?

While I'm here, I heard the line between the former platform and former track area described as an "expansion joint". Important on bridges, but why would a tunnelled concourse need one?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Do we know when the new travelators will open with the central line? That will make bank station a bit unique as it will now have for travelators in the one station, assuming of course that the Waterloo and city ones have been retained which I don't know for certain as haven't been that way for years and could easily have missed their removal
I‘ve thought there’s about another 6 months work to open the new features, the pair of travelators, nine escalators (or is it twelve?) and the Cannon St entrance, but I just can’t remember where I heard or read it. Might have been in one of the longer videos on YouTube.

Last edited:

ijmad

Established Member
I made a rather devious journey back to Waterloo from Cutty Sark DLR today to see the new bits. Wow, the photos on here are good but when you see it in person that new cavern between north and south lines is HUGE! Very impressive. I was going to make a day of it and head down to Battersea Power Station but found I would have to wait 10 minutes at Kennington. No doubt when all the flats get occupants the frequency on the new bit will increase. Anyway, another day for that.

In June the frequency to Battersea will be doubling to 12tph.

I suspect all the wider “adits” (that was a term used in a video!) line up with the new main cross passages and people will tend to use them by default, and especially if they follow the signage. That’s certainly as it’s drawn in the layout in post #165.

Which should leave the narrow existing ones as something of a bonus.

Exactly right, until the point the platform becomes crowded, at which point people will use them to escape before deciding where to go next. Just as designed. I feel it's significantly better than London Bridge.

While I'm here, I heard the line between the former platform and former track area described as an "expansion joint". Important on bridges, but why would a tunnelled concourse need one?
Whenever two materials that have different heat expansion properties meet, you need to expansion joint to avoid warping or cracking. I imagine what's been used to fill in the old running line is a lighter weight more modern material than the old platform, with different properties.

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was told it was December that the rest will be opening.

Mikey C

Established Member
Paid my first visit this afternoon. The new platform and concourse area is very nice, and it's tantalising seeing the closed off sections, where the new passageways and escalators will be :D

The route up to Monument was as dowdy as ever though

ijmad

Established Member
Someone said the old route between the Northern/Central and Northern/DLR will be kept - I wonder if they will close for refurbishment soon after the new passageways open and most people have switched to them.

Maybe when TfL have the money anyway, unless it's already budgeted.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
Whenever two materials that have different heat expansion properties meet, you need to expansion joint to avoid warping or cracking. I imagine what's been used to fill in the old running line is a lighter weight more modern material than the old platform, with different properties.

Ah, so they are concerned of vertical displacement of one side relative to the other, rather than the two sides pulling apart or pushing together. That makes sense. (I presume the surface itself is made of the same thing on both sides.)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Ah, so they are concerned of vertical displacement of one side relative to the other, rather than the two sides pulling apart or pushing together. That makes sense. (I presume the surface itself is made of the same thing on both sides.)
I think another main structural difference will be that under the walking surface of the original platform it will still have the usual accessible services area full of equipment that needs access for maintenance, but the new bit will just have been filled in. One of the videos I watched explained that the existing platforms hide a lot of stuff under them.

Mikey C

Established Member
Bank on the Northern Line is closed this weekend. I assume this is because of work on the under construction connecting passageways?

act94

Will the current “entrance” down the stairs onto the northbound platform become exit only once the other bits open?

The current setup is dangerous. The stairs from the new concourse are exit only, so people entering the northern line for either direction get bunched up on the northbound platform along with all the passengers waiting for northbound trains.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That’s actually consistent with one of LU’s published timelines. They referred to the “Central Line link“ opening in Autumn 2022, and the final completion in Dec would be when the new Cannon St entrance opened.

But as you say it‘s odd there’s been no PR or coverage by the usual YouTube sources…

tnc1997

The tunnel with the moving walkway [...] opened in September
Funnily enough I happened to be in Bank station this evening and it didn't look like the new link to the Central Line was open. We were still routed via the existing interchange corridors to connect from the Northern Line to the Central Line. I suppose that there are still a few more days left of September though!

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can confirm that it’s very much still not open! Still a few days of September but no hoardings are down yet so have my doubts

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 89

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Can confirm that it’s very much still not open! Still a few days of September but no hoardings are down yet so have my doubts
Wouldn’t be the first time a news report has been written prematurely based on the plan rather than the actuality… :'(

Brooke

I was in Bank yesterday and today. Definitely not there!

I was also surprised that there are signs saying the Canon St entrance will open in 2022 - that seems to be Crossrail-type ambition?

Mikey C

Established Member
I was in Bank yesterday and today. Definitely not there!

I was also surprised that there are signs saying the Canon St entrance will open in 2022 - that seems to be Crossrail-type ambition?
I hope they have enough staff to operate that new entrance, the last 2 times I've wanted to interchange between Bank and Cannon St (NR), around 7pm midweek, the Walbrook entrance was closed

Djriley27

The plan is to have the new bit linking the DLR>Northern>Central open within the next couple of weeks and the new Cannon Street entrance (hopefully) open by the end of the year

I hope they have enough staff to operate that new entrance, the last 2 times I've wanted to interchange between Bank and Cannon St (NR), around 7pm midweek, the Walbrook entrance was closed
Walbrook is closed when there's a staff shortage, which is most days now

I think that they'll prioritise Walbrook and the new Cannon Street entrance when the new staff roster comes out. And the northern gateline might become a reserve gateline

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The plan is to have the new bit linking the DLR>Northern>Central open within the next couple of weeks and the new Cannon Street entrance (hopefully) open by the end of the year

I think that they'll prioritise Walbrook and the new Cannon Street entrance when the new staff roster comes out. And the northern gateline might become a reserve gateline
Which is the “northern gateline” please? Is that referring to a specific entrance?

Mikey C

Established Member

It's a bit concerning that they don't have enough staff to operate all the existing entrances, when they have another one opening soon!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
How how user-friendly is the new cannon Street entrance going to be two passengers with reduced mobility, particularly in the case of myself someone with a visual impairment? Is there going to be a lot of complicated road crossings and and other hazards to follow if emerging from The tube there and wanting to access National Rail at cannon Street or is it going to be really straightforward? Obviously if you want the subsurface lines you would naturally gravitate to cannon Street as it is quiet but if coming off the DLR or any of the deep level tube lines this could potentially be a huge win from my point of view

alf

On Moderation
I was at bank Northern line 4pm Monday,
Definitely not open.
But managed to peer through crack in blue boarding & could see incline going downwards. So presumably travelator is on a gradient.
It seemed quite steep.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I was at bank Northern line 4pm Monday,
Definitely not open.
But managed to peer through crack in blue boarding & could see incline going downwards. So presumably travelator is on a gradient.
It seemed quite steep.
There’s also quite a few photos and YouTube videos around that suggest the new pair of travelators are level. Eg this from Geoff Marshall, around 6m 20s:

stuu

Established Member
How how user-friendly is the new cannon Street entrance going to be two passengers with reduced mobility, particularly in the case of myself someone with a visual impairment? Is there going to be a lot of complicated road crossings and and other hazards to follow if emerging from The tube there and wanting to access National Rail at cannon Street or is it going to be really straightforward? Obviously if you want the subsurface lines you would naturally gravitate to cannon Street as it is quiet but if coming off the DLR or any of the deep level tube lines this could potentially be a huge win from my point of
It's about 100m, along fairly wide pavements. You have to cross the street but it's a single stage pedestrian crossing which takes you almost to the entrance to Cannon Street main line. The Underground entrance is at the far end of the station frontage, another 50m or so

Status
Not open for further replies.