• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Remaining Northern Line Bank upgrades following major blockade

Status
Not open for further replies.

D365

Veteran Member
The new platform is well on its way to opening, test trains have run down it already

FQ4GR5bUcAYzf4s
Geoff's tweet is deleted now!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STINT47

I will be visiting London on the 26th May. Does anyone know if this work will be done by then as I need to use the bank branch to reach Borough.

Cdd89

Established Member
My guess is it’ll be very quiet immediately after reopening (as it won’t be very well publicised, and those whose other routes don’t rely on the 733 won’t notice it’s happened).

I also think it may be quieter than usual in the mid-term, as a proportion of those who have found other routes will choose to stick with them, having discovered that they are more convenient. I think this may be especially the case with people who have switched to Thameslink.

Taunton

Established Member
There will be a significant change the following week anyway when Crossrail opens. It's been difficult getting from Canary Wharf to Kings Cross during the closure, changing to Thameslink instead at London Bridge is such a lengthy obstacle course around the station that it's actually quicker to stay on the Jubilee to Green Park and then use the Victoria. Now I'll just change at Farringdon. One might think the north-south Underground lines would be relatively unaffected by Crossrail, but I think there will be some substantial alleviation to those too.

There will be a significant change the following week anyway when Crossrail opens. It's been difficult getting from Canary Wharf to Kings Cross during the closure, changing to Thameslink instead at London Bridge is such a lengthy obstacle course around the station that it's actually quicker to stay on the Jubilee to Green Park and then use the Victoria. Now I'll just change at Farringdon. One might think the north-south Underground lines would be relatively unaffected by Crossrail, but I think there will be some substantial alleviation to those too.
Would we not expect the 'diagonal' journeys where using Crossrail shortens the distance on the north-south line to be balanced out by journeys where using Crossrail increases the distance on the north-south line?

Taunton

Established Member
Would we not expect the 'diagonal' journeys where using Crossrail shortens the distance on the north-south line to be balanced out by journeys where using Crossrail increases the distance on the north-south line?
Yes, to an extent, but they are unlikely to balance on each line. As the original discussion was about travel patterns having changed/been retained from the Northern closure, these will not be readily measurable due to the far larger alterations passengers make with Crossrail.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Geoff's tweet is deleted now!
He has a habit of deleting older tweets after so many weeks. No idea why though.

------

As for the bank branch, it will be nice to get it back, useful for Sunday mornings when Thameslink terminate at London Bridge from the South. I for one am looking forward to seeing the improvements carried out

Snow1964

Established Member
Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
16th May is now confirmed on multiple news sites, so presumably TfL have advised them in a Press release

Can’t link it to source, as TfL haven’t yet updated their own website
Not a written source, but if you search for disruption on the 16th May, it doesn't show the Northern Line as closed:

Dstock7080

Established Member
Press release finally uploaded:

The Bank branch of the Northern line will re-open on schedule on Monday 16 May, after a 17-week planned closure as part of the Bank Station Capacity Upgrade project. Customers will be able to use Northern line services at all Bank branch stations between Kennington and Moorgate again from this date.

In addition, the new, wider southbound Northern line platform and spacious new customer concourse at Bank station will open to customers for the first time on the same day. Transport for London's (TfL's) project team have worked throughout the 17-week closure to safely finalise work on the brand-new Northern line tunnel and passenger concourse. They have also completed three new passageways, which will make moving around the station quicker and easier for Northern line customers, who should follow the new signage and directions from London Underground staff as they familiarise themselves with the new layout.
The last day of service for the Route 733 bus, which was introduced specifically for the Bank branch closure period, will be Friday 13 May

Snow1964

Established Member
I understand some work has also been undertaken at Elephant and Castle during the blockade in preparation for station expansion

The main tunnelling works at Elephant an Castle are about to go out to pre-tender, seems it will initially be the station box which started in January (as part of the redevelopment of the area), but passages and fit out are later (presumably the station box needs to be done to allow over site development)

rebmcr

Established Member
The main tunnelling works at Elephant an Castle are about to go out to pre-tender, seems it will initially be the station box which started in January (as part of the redevelopment of the area), but passages and fit out are later (presumably the station box needs to be done to allow over site development)
There is not yet any allocated funding for fit-out, but the station box was committed anyway, on the basis that it simply can't be done after the overall site development (which was going ahead on-schedule whether or not a station box was below it).

DelW

Established Member
I doubt it, one to be released after Bank, Elizabeth and South Kensington have finished - so towards very end of May
Please pardon my ignorance, but what's happening at South Ken? I haven't come across this one.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Please pardon my ignorance, but what's happening at South Ken? I haven't come across this one.
The Piccadilly line will not stop at South Kensington Tube station until summer 2022. The District and Circle lines will run as normal, and the station will remain open.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I doubt it, one to be released after Bank, Elizabeth and South Kensington have finished - so towards very end of May
Is South Kensington running early?

I think it will be released on May 24th to coincide with the Elizabeth line opening.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
Never mind the tube map, I hope we get a new Rail & Tube / London & The Southeast map. The last one given out (as opposed to pinned up) is dated December 2019.

Mikey C

Established Member
On a 95 stock train, and the maps are all back to normal!

Attachments

• PXL_20220515_125330387.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220515_125330387.MP.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 110

Basil Jet

On Moderation
On a 95 stock train, and the maps are all back to normal!
Liz is shown on the line guide at Moorgate and TCR, but the adjacent Tube Map shows TfL Rail in the burbs and nothing in the city, and South Ken served by the Piccadilly even though this map will presumably be replaced before the next Picc calls at South Ken.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There‘s an updated video from the hidden London people about Bank here:
I expect there’ll be a few more tomorrow!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Bank branch has just reopened from the south as part of a soft launch, so there is currently running a service to Moorgate from Morden.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
There‘s an updated video from the hidden London people about Bank here:
I expect there’ll be a few more tomorrow!
"It is like being on the Elizabeth Line" he says while standing on a seven-carriage deep tube platform with no platform edge doors. Everyone else agrees.

"It is like being on the Elizabeth Line" he says while standing on a seven-carriage deep tube platform with no platform edge doors. Everyone else agrees.

"I wonder if the first train [from Bank] will be a Morden or a Battersea Power Station?"

Good Grief. The whole team are a joke.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
A video from this afternoon. Just a couple of trains through the new Southbound platform - looking good I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.