• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Revenue Protection 'Barriers'

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan

Hi All

Just wondered if anyone could shed any light on why yesterday at around 16.30 a group of revenue protection staff were at meadowhall station but most appeared to be East Midlands Trains staff, yet no EMT services call there :-?

A couple of Northern staff where also present but it just seemed odd that EMT where the highest in number as surely the only revenue EMT stand to lose is limited commission for selling tickets on behalf of northern/TPE from Sheffield but other than that most journeys would originate from various northern stations and services in South Yorkshire

hope that makes sense

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
Hi All

Just wondered if anyone could shed any light on why yesterday at around 16.30 a group of revenue protection staff were at meadowhall station but most appeared to be East Midlands Trains staff, yet no EMT services call there :-?

A couple of Northern staff where also present but it just seemed odd that EMT where the highest in number as surely the only revenue EMT stand to lose is limited commission for selling tickets on behalf of northern/TPE from Sheffield but other than that most journeys would originate from various northern stations and services in South Yorkshire

hope that makes sense
I assume it's not an EMT managed station either then? Maybe they were just working in partnership?

lyesbkz

I assume it's not an EMT managed station either then? Maybe they were just working in partnership?

It's a Northern managed station. What surprises me is that the only services operating (feel free to correct me) on that line are Northern Rail (primarily), First TPE, and CrossCountry (although XC don't actually call at Meadowhall, simply pass through!)

It just seems odd that EMT staff would be working at Meadowhall since their trains don't go through there, but they could easily have been deployed from Sheffield which is an EMT-managed station and about 5 minutes away. But why?

CheapAndNerdy

I wonder if it could be to catch out those passengers arriving at Sheffield without a ticket, who then claim that they boarded at Meadowhall? I don't know anything about these stations so this is just a guess.

brompton rail

At times temporary barriers are installed at Doncaster in the concourse and it is not unusual for Northern to staff these. Some time back East Coast used to instal temporary barriers in the subway and check in and out passengers. In my opinion this was more successful, but hasn't occurred for some time now. Doncaster is East Coast managed.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
I seem to remember another thread where someone said that got caught by EMT RPI staff at Rotherham Central because they forgot their season ticket. However, many people were saying that the story didn't add up.

RPI

Established Member
TOC's help each other out quite a lot, XC RPI's work at Castle Cary with FGW when Glastonbury is on, even though no XC services go there.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Meadowhall is on EMT's network map as Limited Service - I am not familiar with the TT but could one of their services had been due?

WestCoast

Established Member
Meadowhall is on EMT's network map as Limited Service - I am not familiar with the TT but could one of their services had been due?

The station used to be served by a single EMT service to and from London St Pancras each weekday, but this was withdrawn in September 2008.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
The station used to be served by a single EMT service to and from London St Pancras each weekday, but this was withdrawn in September 2008.

Ok, its showing on a map I picked up today (back of TT) - RPI's idea seems the best then :smile:

Established Member

Although it might be plausible, I wonder how familiar EMT staff would be with Northern's tickets such as rovers etc. I don't understand why they couldn't have organised with Northern to have Northern-employed RPIs at Meadowhall and EMT at Sheffield - that would make more sense.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
I wonder how familiar EMT staff would be with Northern's tickets such as rovers etc. I don't understand why they couldn't have organised with Northern to have Northern-employed RPIs at Meadowhall and EMT at Sheffield - that would make more sense.
I am not familiar of the tickets in this area but logic would say that most if not all rover's valid at Meadowhall would also be valid at Sheffield?

Established Member
I am not familiar of the tickets in this area but logic would say that most if not all rover's valid at Meadowhall would also be valid at Sheffield?

I was thinking the other way around, as in Rovers valid at Sheffield but not at Meadowhall, if there is such a Rover.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Now why didn't we think of this earlier?!

Very Plausible...
Could they have been there for the supertram as that is stagecoach operated and wear the same uniform.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I think we have the answer.

Established Member
Could they have been there for the supertram as that is stagecoach operated and wear the same uniform.

I was thinking that as well, although do they wear the exact same uniform (thought it would be different to an EMT uniform?). Plus isn't the Supertram platforms seperate from the normal rail platforms - depends where the OP saw them standing.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There is a difference between the Stagecoach tram uniform and the EMT uniform. The tram platforms are also separated from the BR platforms so I can't imagine it is the case.

I'd imagine it's more like what others have said above; that Northern Rail / TPx have requested additional support to carry out a ticket examination.

WestCoast

Established Member
There is a difference between the Stagecoach tram uniform and the EMT uniform. The tram platforms are also separated from the BR platforms so I can't imagine it is the case.
I've seen Stagecoach tram inspectors just wearing plain shirts and luminous jackets. Plus, when they come on a tram and the conductor has yet to reach you, they can't sell you a ticket and just ask you to wait for him/her. I reckon they're there just to sniff out dodgy/out of date passes! So I doubt they are trained in rail ticketing!

I'd imagine it's more like what others have said above; that Northern Rail / TPx have requested additional support to carry out a ticket examination.

Yes, it makes sense as Sheffield is the closest large EMT station, it may have been a joint operation between local operators EMT/Northern/FTPE.

alan

cheers for the replies guys, although it was definitely not supertram staff, as others have said the areas are separated and supertram staff have a more 'bus style' uniform whilst I noticed it was EMT due to the name badges. I guess it makes sense for other TOC to help each other out with additional support etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.