• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rishi Sunak and the Conservative Party.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Aside from the machinations of the CCP, I think that there is a broader problem with over-globalisation in that it leaves the country over-exposed to external shocks (and can be a drain on wealth if unbalanced).

There must be a happy medium between where we are now and North Korean style isolation. I don't believe that the conservative party is philosophically inclined to find it

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Yes, but has the tide of opinion turned against Boris Johnson now? By that I mean that I felt swept away by an opposing tide in the 2019 election, but it could now be that the tide has reversed and my opinion joins the main flow again. I get the feeling that Rishi Sunak has demonstrated the value of doing what a prime minister ought to do, working in the interest of the country rather than for himself for example, and I'm hopeful that he's shown up Boris Johnson (and Liz Truss) as the poor alternative now. Sunak should be able to implement his EU agreement despite opposition from Boris Johnson now, and the Privileges Committee is showing up why Boris Johnson is bad in many ways, so it could all lead to the end of his parliamentary career. Obviously it's hard and unwise to make predictions on someone who is such a loose cannon, but I hope I'm right.
Im sure your right and BoJo is exit stage left but that will be the price for him being found in a slightly more favourable light by the Privileges Committee rather than being forced out and disgraced is my forecast here.

nw1

Established Member
If we're not constantly growing the economy we're not creating constant jobs that in our low fertility country have to lead to net immigration. What we could also have is a rule similar to the EU's freedom of movement, where any immigrant who does not contribute for a set period (they have 3 months) is deported.
I don't think they would need to contribute, as such, at all. Presumably, speaking from an anti-immigration perspective, the issue is claiming benefits and/or taking jobs from locals. One could impose something such as free immigration, but no access to benefits.

So if someone wants to live here for 12 months off their own savings, for example, I don't see a problem with that.

Disclaimer: I am a stridently-pro-immigration person, as many of you know ;)

Howardh

Established Member
I don't think they would need to contribute, as such, at all. Presumably, speaking from an anti-immigration perspective, the issue is claiming benefits and/or taking jobs from locals. One could impose something such as free immigration, but no access to benefits.

So if someone wants to live here for 12 months off their own savings, for example, I don't see a problem with that.

Is there a figure for how much rotting food that was never picked (due to shortage of workers) last year?

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Is there a figure for how much rotting food that was never picked (due to shortage of workers) last year?
Around £60m worth, according to:

The National Farmers’ Union (NFU) is asking the government to support its call for more workers to pick crops, more affordable and sustainable energy, and fairness in food supply chains. UK growers have been saying since well before the recent shortages in fresh produce became visible that they were facing a string of challenges, some intensified by the pandemic and Brexit.

The NFU estimated fresh produce worth £60m was left to rot in fields last year, as growers could not get enough workers to pick their fruit and vegetables at the right time.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Anyone arriving in the UK on a small boat will be prevented from claiming asylum, under new laws expected to be announced next week.
Is this endorsement from Sunak the quid pro(tocol) quo to the Tory right? It probably does a lot to reverse any credit Sunak might have received this week in the minds of more moderate voters.

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
It appears that Johnson Junior’s list contains up to a hundred names, more than both Cameron and May. So plenty more ‘Lord Donor of Cash’ to be seen.

dgl

Established Member
It appears that Johnson Junior’s list contains up to a hundred names, more than both Cameron and May. So plenty more ‘Lord Donor of Cash’ to be seen.
Wouldn't it be nice to see King Charles looking at the list, saying "there may have to be a few people left out" and immediately shoving the list in a shredder, it's all the list is probably worth for.

oldman

Perhaps they could put on a special ceremony for Johnson's nominees, with Andrew brought out of retirement to confer the 'honours'. It would be fitting.

Broucek

I understand your point. Although even the self-funding approach would, if there were very large numbers, have implications around demand for products/services/accomodation/road space and the like and therefore inflation.

Gloster

Established Member
It has previously been suggested that Johnson wants to create a large number of peers who would be loyal either to him or to the Conservatives. They would then vote in whatever way best wrecks his successor’s policies or, should Labour be in power, makes it as difficult as possible for it to enact its policies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Strikes me that, quite apart from House of Lords reform which is desperately needed, that it's time we knocked on the head the entire idea of "resignation honours". I've never been quite sure why an outgoing PM should be permitted to give out gongs to basically anyone they like.

DelayRepay

Established Member
Strikes me that, quite apart from House of Lords reform which is desperately needed, that it's time we knocked on the head the entire idea of "resignation honours". I've never been quite sure why an outgoing PM should be permitted to give out gongs to basically anyone they like.
Exactly, it is a very odd way of filling the second chamber! I would not object to an outgoing PM being able to give some form of recognition but it shouldn't be a peerage.

Be interesting to see Liz Truss' list, if she's brave enough to produce one!

takno

Established Member
I can't see any particular issue in Sunak politely rejecting this entire list (or referring it to the commons privileges committee as something which should be lost when an PM is in bad standing as an MP). If not then it would be pretty reasonable for Starmer to declare that he planned to legislate to revoke the entire list. By nominating his own dad Johnson has rendered this entire list up for grabs.

SteveM70

Established Member

Especially when the outgoing PM has resigned pretty much in disgrace.

brad465

Established Member
Especially when the outgoing PM has resigned pretty much in disgrace.
On top of this we've had so many PMs change in quick succession due to their incompetence, that honours are coming thick and fast and bloating the Lords even more; there are now more unelected peers than elected MPs.

Typhoon

Established Member
What, nothing for Rachel or Leo? I assume Stanley's will be for 'services to pugilism' (or, possibly, Greek tourism).

If I was Sunak and had access to the list, I would be ensuring names seep out on a regular basis - distract from government policy. If they are similar to those leaked so far, it might even convince some of those waverers on the government benches that the return of last year's PM might be ill-advised!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
On top of this we've had so many PMs change in quick succession due to their incompetence, that honours are coming thick and fast and bloating the Lords even more; there are now more unelected peers than elected MPs.
Our second chamber is the largest in the world. Comfortably. We have a population of approaching 70m and nearly 800 Lords and Ladys. Similarly sized France somehow survives on around 350 senators. The United States of over 300m gets by on 100. Now I'm not sure I'd like to say what the right number is for a second chamber (considering populations France still feels like a lot at 350 but the US feels like too few at 100) but ours is abosolutely a massive outlier at nearly 800!

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Sunak must surely realise how this will sit with the electorate and just kick it into the long grass if he wan'ts to restore any ounce of credibility. Oh and presumably mad Truss is has a list lined up as well.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Sunak must surely realise how this will sit with the electorate and just kick it into the long grass if he wan'ts to restore any ounce of credibility. Oh and presumably mad Truss is has a list lined up as well.
He could find multiple reasons to withdraw the whip from Johnson, as Starmer did to Corbyn and Johnson himself did to so many colleagues in 2019. But even now he's probably not strong enough given Johnson's support amongst the membership, and perhaps why take the risk when there's at least an even chance that Johnson will be suspended, recalled and voted out of Parliament within a few months.

Gloster

Established Member
Lee Anderson has, according to a tweet from GBNews on The London Economic, got a show on GBNews. All those sound bites that he made must have convinced them that he has the scrupulous integrity and high journalistic standards that they always demand.

brad465

Established Member
Lee Anderson has, according to a tweet from GBNews on The London Economic, got a show on GBNews. All those sound bites that he made must have convinced them that he has the scrupulous integrity and high journalistic standards that they always demand.
Not a surprise, it's been suggested that he's tried to raise his profile in the party in order to get a show like that for a post-MP career. Whether one agrees with his views or not, no MP should be hosting a TV show at the same time they're supposed to be representing a constituency and speaking in Parliament.

nw1

Established Member
Not a surprise, it's been suggested that he's tried to raise his profile in the party in order to get a show like that for a post-MP career. Whether one agrees with his views or not, no MP should be hosting a TV show at the same time they're supposed to be representing a constituency and speaking in Parliament.

Let's guess.

"The Common-Sense Voice of the People with Lee Anderson".

;)

Typhoon

Established Member
Its in the Evening Standard:
Lee Anderson will become the latest Conservative MP to host a show on GB News, the channel has announced.

The Conservative Party deputy chairman and MP for Ashfield, in Nottinghamshire, will join fellow Tories Jacob Rees-Mogg, Esther McVey and Philip Davies as a GB News host and contributor.
I wonder if there will be regular cookery hints?

Tellingly, it goes on:
GB News editorial director Michael Booker said: “Lee has been a breath of fresh air in Westminster since he was elected, doing something that many politicians are scared to do: talking honestly about what they believe.

“Our viewers and listeners appreciate his common-sense language, something that has been missing from politics for a long time. As the next election will be fought in the Red Wall, Lee’s insights into northern voters will be key.”
I suspect it will be fought just as much in so called 'Blue Wall' seats (and the idea that he speaks, or even has an insight, into northern voters appears to me to be an insult).
It has not yet been announced when Mr Anderson’s show will air.

Mr Anderson previously appeared for a weekly segment on Dan Wootton’s show, titled The Real World with Lee Anderson, for which he received £200 per week according to the register of MPs’ interests.

The register suggests that he will be in line for a significant increase in that fee if he hosts his own show, with fellow Conservative MPs earning more than twice that as presenters.

Tatton MP Esther McVey earned £58,650 as a GB News presenter in 2022, at an average of just under £900 per episode.

Her husband and co-host, Shipley MP Philip Davies, was paid £46,203 in the same year, an average of £679 per episode.

Former host Dehenna Davison was paid £1,879 per month for presenting a weekly show until she became a minister in September 2022.

Jacob Rees-Mogg is yet to declare how much he is paid by GB News, with his show beginning only at the end of February.

Other politicians appearing on the channel include former Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage, former Northern Irish First Minister Baroness Foster and ex-Labour MP Gloria de Piero.
There is also Michael Portillo and a stack of right-leaning journalists.

What with the MP for Torridge and the British Virgin Islands, the absentee Member for Uxbridge and West Ruislip (until he can find somewhere better), and a number of suspended MPs, its a good job that the Conservatives have a significant majority. It is time the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee had a look. And if I was sitting on the Labour benches, I would be regularly calling a division somewhere between 8 and 9 pm midweek.

Source https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/news...ry-mp-to-host-own-show-on-gb-news/ar-AA18jUA3

Edit:

On another note Graham Brady is standing down, he's 56. Unlike some, he'll be a loss. Always seemed like a decent politician to me.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...tp&cvid=ffadc1eb17844938bb53b50113f37d87&ei=9

Last edited:

MikeWM

Established Member
And if I was sitting on the Labour benches, I would be regularly calling a division somewhere between 8 and 9 pm midweek.

Would only really work on Mondays given the usual sitting hours Parliament has nowadays.

On another note Graham Brady is standing down, he's 56. Unlike some, he'll be a loss. Always seemed like a decent politician to me.

Yes, and he was particularly good over covid stuff. Brady retaining the chair of the 1922 committee in July 2021, over the placewoman Johnson tried to replace him with, was probably a key turning point in the Tory backbench revolt over covid restrictions.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...tp&cvid=ffadc1eb17844938bb53b50113f37d87&ei=9M
Might a certain West London MP worried about his re-election there suddenly pronounce himself the only Tory who can hang on to those Red Wall seats and accordingly switch to stand in Altrincham and Sale? It's far enough away from Liverpool both geographically and in societal terms to avoid any Scouse backlash.

brad465

Established Member
Might a certain West London MP worried about his re-election there suddenly pronounce himself the only Tory who can hang on to those Red Wall seats and accordingly switch to stand in Altrincham and Sale? It's far enough away from Liverpool both geographically and in societal terms to avoid any Scouse backlash.
He only has a 6,000 vote majority there, so much so that even in a scenario where Labour are not the largest party but force a hung Parliament situation that seat could flip. Even if Johnson can prevent it flipping by standing there, he personally won't likely want to take the risk, and as ever with Johnson, he comes before anything else.

Typhoon

Established Member
He only has a 6,000 vote majority there, so much so that even in a scenario where Labour are not the largest party but force a hung Parliament situation that seat could flip. Even if Johnson can prevent it flipping by standing there, he personally won't likely want to take the risk, and as ever with Johnson, he comes before anything else.
I gather he is rarely seen in Uxbridge or Ruislip, which is pretty much on his doorstep, I would have thought that the chances of him heading that far north to meet constituents (other than for the count) were negligible (unless there was a big, fat cheque involved). He'll be hoping the MP for Henley will do the 'decent thing'!

nw1

Established Member

I'm not sure whether Altrincham and Sale is a Johnsonist kind of place anyway. Affluent but AFAIK relatively liberal, it's the sort of place that would probably like Cameron but have relatively less time for the current iteration of the Tory Party.

More likely, I think, is that Johnson stands in Reigate or Dorriesland. Those are dead-cert Tory holds.