• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rishi Sunak and the Conservative Party.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I seem to remember a TV report on this (Panorama?)

Do people today watch these shows? Do they not consider them biased or whatever?

Get ITV to make a drama series about the water industry, and maybe then about gas and electric, or telecommunications.

Then Rishi (and the nation as a whole) may take notice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nw1

Established Member
My own direct encounter with the admin world of my local council ended badly.....for them. They don't like people who prove them wrong.

Not sure about council employees (don't have much dealings with them), though there are other lines of industry where this is the case.

I will say though that a 40-min lunch break actually sounds quite stingy, presumably the term "lunch hour" is part of the vernacular for a reason...

And 8.30 - 4.30 seems like a reasonable working day, again like "9 to 5" (part of the vernacular again) but 30 mins earlier. Knocking off before 5 is presumably fine if you started work before 9.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Not reducing immigration, please. Many of us are absolutely opposed to restricting people's options in life. It seems to be increasingly part of 2020s political dogma that reducing immigration is a good thing. In my view, and many others, it is absolutely not.
I don't think that reducing net immigration is, itself, either a good or a bad. It all comes down to how it's achieved. For an example that will take more than one term to implement - reducing the need for immigrant workers in health and social care by funding additional training places for young people to move into the field.

nw1

Established Member
I don't think that reducing net immigration is, itself, either a good or a bad. It all comes down to how it's achieved. For an example that will take more than one term to implement - reducing the need for immigrant workers in health and social care by funding additional training places for young people to move into the field.

My main objection at the moment is that too many commentators are automatically assuming it is good to restrict immigration, whereas in actuality it's a contentious issue. "Restricting immigration" is not an absolute good, unlike "making it easier to see a doctor" or "restoring NHS dental services".

Last edited:

SteveM70

Established Member
Local government is a microcosm of central government as far as elected members are concerned. Some are doing it for the right reasons, but too many are doing it as an ego trip and / or as a stepping stone to something else that pays better / gives them more power

As for local government staff, I find them generally well meaning, but I’d find the sheer bureaucracy a bit stifling if it was me. My ex wife worked in local government and if she was in the middle of writing an email to someone when putting on my coat time came round (ten minutes before going home time) then the email was saved in drafts until the next day. Everyone she worked with was like that. Maybe I was too far the other way, having an operational job which meant phone calls at all kinds of weird and wonderful times, but I was stunned how structured and rigid everything was

nw1

Established Member
Local government is a microcosm of central government as far as elected members are concerned. Some are doing it for the right reasons, but too many are doing it as an ego trip and / or as a stepping stone to something else that pays better / gives them more power

As for local government staff, I find them generally well meaning, but I’d find the sheer bureaucracy a bit stifling if it was me. My ex wife worked in local government and if she was in the middle of writing an email to someone when putting on my coat time came round (ten minutes before going home time) then the email was saved in drafts until the next day. Everyone she worked with was like that. Maybe I was too far the other way, having an operational job which meant phone calls at all kinds of weird and wonderful times, but I was stunned how structured and rigid everything was

One issue I have with local government is how impossible it is to get through to them at times. This has only got worse since Covid.

One example: close to me, on the opposite side of the road, there is some council-owned property on which Japanese Knotweed was growing around 7 or 8 years ago. I tried to report it via phone, and no-one seemed to have a clue how to deal with it, or who to report it to.

Eventually the message obviously did get through (perhaps via someone else more persistent) as it seems to have disappeared in recent years.

Email is no better. Got a reply 2 weeks later, and this was about Council Tax of all things!

SynthD

Do the people who want to see immigration drop accept the subsequent closures of hotels and care homes. Rhetorical question. There are various expectations of society that need to be corrected first. We have given out many visas to Ukrainians, but not to other, less Caucasian, victims of invasions. I’d like to see a race blind refugee policy. That is compatible with reducing immigration only if we say no to Ukrainians. I was never sure if we said yes to save Johnson, or to feel like a kind and helpful world power.

DC1989

1.2 Million people immigrated to the UK last year. What do you think that number should be

90% of care workers are white british btw

Do the people who want to see immigration drop accept the subsequent closures of hotels and care homes. Rhetorical question. There are various expectations of society that need to be corrected first. We have given out many visas to Ukrainians, but not to other, less Caucasian, victims of invasions. I’d like to see a race blind refugee policy. That is compatible with reducing immigration only if we say no to Ukrainians. I was never sure if we said yes to save Johnson, or to feel like a kind and helpful world power
Theirs plenty of areas you can cut from without touching health and social care related visas

SynthD

Theirs plenty of areas you can cut from without touching health and social care related visas
Yes. One area is student visas. We can cut this, which means universities will have less income. Do we want to let the universities suffer, or maintain their funding? That is the choice that I want to be deliberately made, not just swallowed up in the government's destructive electioneering.

Giugiaro

Don't forget that besides training those young people, you also need to provide proper pay, work conditions, and a good work-life balance.
That is why many nurses and doctors from Portugal decided to move to the UK over the past 10 years, and we had to resort to replacing them with health professionals from Latin America and Africa.

takno

Established Member
Yes. One area is student visas. We can cut this, which means universities will have less income. Do we want to let the universities suffer, or maintain their funding? That is the choice that I want to be deliberately made, not just swallowed up in the government's destructive electioneering.
I'm a bit puzzled by this. I'd very much like to see a substantial fall in the size of the university sector in the UK. The relentless push to get ever more students of indifferent calibre, to be supervised by mediocre academics who do increasingly awful quality research on the side has not benefited society a single jot. Whole swathes of cities have now been turned from relatively balanced communities into glorified halls of residence, for students who participate less and less in the society they are camping out in. They aren't even that profitable. A radical fall in the number of foreign students would be welcome, and would ideally be accompanied by a drop in the number of domestic students who are being conned into so much debt to support this tottering edifice.

Depends what you see as more valuable.
Maintaining university income or the rental costs of the permanent residents of the area

SynthD

The relentless push to get ever more students of indifferent calibre, to be supervised by mediocre academics who do increasingly awful quality research on the side has not benefited society a single jot.
would ideally be accompanied by a drop in the number of domestic students who are being conned into so much debt to support this tottering edifice.
Let a government campaign on those issues. I see headlines about the indifferent calibre, but not the rest. Domestic students are being underserved, but that doesn’t make it a con worthy of anti education changes.

najaB

Veteran Member
Maintaining university income or the rental costs of the permanent residents of the area
University income. Every time.

University research = a more educated populace and new technology = increase in future tax revenue.

dangie

Established Member
I'm a bit puzzled by this. I'd very much like to see a substantial fall in the size of the university sector in the UK....
Agreed. In my humble view there are far too many universities. It’s now seen as a rite of passage that when teenagers leave school they will go to university. Many take courses which they have no interest in but take them anyway because they simply wanted to go to university. When I left school back in the 1960’s only 2 or 3 carried on to university. Nowadays it’s probably more like 2 or 3 who don’t. I feel many universities are a business and not a seat of learning.

Of course this is easy for me to say. I was lucky to leave school when there was plenty of industry about. I got an apprenticeship which itself led onto other things. Today’s youngsters haven’t got that opportunity.

nw1

Established Member

Don't blame that on the students.

Blame that on an unregulated rental market and landlords exploiting high demand.

Similar to the "immigrants driving wages down" argument (which has mysteriously disappeared of late - I wonder why - now it's "immigrants taking all our housing"). Except it's not immigrants driving wages down, it's once again lack of regulation and the good old free market.

All in all, pitting sections of the population against each other in this way, and promoting anger towards "the other", is a core strategy of many politicians in the 21st century, mostly to benefit themselves and their friends.

Last edited:

takno

Established Member
University income. Every time.

University research = a more educated populace and new technology = increase in future tax revenue.
Slightly questionable whether even the research in a lot of technical areas is a cost-effective way of discovering and developing new technology, and while I applaud the aim of everybody gettting richer and being able to pay more taxes, it's senseless to claim that in an argument about foreign students, the vast majority of whom are expected to leave the country at the end of their courses. Even in the case of UK students, we're just educating too many people to a higher level than they want or need. They don't give you extra pay for having a degree when you empty the bins. All you've done at the level of higher education we now have is cost people more money by worsening the housing market, and wasted epic amounts of government and students' money.

I guess it's because academics have a lot of influence over the policy agendas of all the parties, but it's strange to me that we can't be bothered to fund basic primary and secondary education for all, while lavishing a huge amount of everybody's money on poor quality tertiary education for twice as many people as will actually make use of it

Lost property

Not sure about council employees (don't have much dealings with them), though there are other lines of industry where this is the case.

I will say though that a 40-min lunch break actually sounds quite stingy, presumably the term "lunch hour" is part of the vernacular for a reason...

And 8.30 - 4.30 seems like a reasonable working day, again like "9 to 5" (part of the vernacular again) but 30 mins earlier. Knocking off before 5 is presumably fine if you started work before 9.
Actually, I was being facetious with my working T's and C's.

However, being serious, the last place I worked 2.5hrs a day were planned in for breaks. Even this wasn't enough for one demographic who happily left earlier and who would simply go home in the afternoon if they had no work on. NO questions were ever asked or action taken against them. That, and they were resolute about their trade boundaries as they termed them.

Unfortunately, and non had actually worked in the real world, as they would be unemployable if they had, life had moved on which meant anybody who was qualified could do their job....as I used to take great delight in demonstrating.

Giugiaro

All in all, pitting sections of the population against each other in this way, and promoting anger towards "the other", is a core strategy of many politicians in the 21st century, mostly to benefit themselves and their friends.

21st Century?

Pitting people against each other is as old as civilization itself. After all, who demonized the Jews in Germany?

najaB

Veteran Member
Slightly questionable whether even the research in a lot of technical areas is a cost-effective way of discovering and developing new technology,
Actually almost all new technology starts as pure research. University researchers are constantly discovering things that have no practical application, which are then turned into useable products in industry. Probably the most pertinent example is HTTP and HTML (well, SGMLs generally), which were of no more than theoretical interest at CERN until they were put together into the World-Wide Web.
...and while I applaud the aim of everybody gettting richer and being able to pay more taxes, it's senseless to claim that in an argument about foreign students, the vast majority of whom are expected to leave the country at the end of their courses...
It's not (necessarily) the students themselves I was referring to, but rather everyone who benefits from new technologies, and improved ways of working. We are all significantly richer thanks to the Internet, which began life as the NSFNet linking major academic institutes (along with ARPANet, JANet, etc.) which again largely existed to support research.

Undergraduate studies mainly exist to (a) find the next generation of post-graduate researchers; and (b) contribute to funding that research.

Last edited:

nw1

Established Member
Ok
Lets phrase it how it would work with a state owned or rent controlled housing economy

Less university income or longer social housing waiting lists

Universities can presumably fund new housing, after all they are benefitting from the students being there.

Last edited:

bspahh

Established Member
Universities can presumably fund new housing, after all they are benefitting from the students being there.
Universities are housing companies, with a sideline in research and a bit of teaching.

Typhoon

Established Member
Admittedly this is going back over half a century, the vast majority of first years lived on campus at my uni (I didn't and it made a hell of a difference in how I settled in - in a negative way). The university benefiited, students stayed on campus, students spent on campus. People on the same course, even if not in the same building, may be close by. I notice that there is now a Student Accommodation Code (for university managed housing). Assuming it has teeth, that must be a good thing all round; for the university, it may lead to one less reason for a student to drop out, The trouble with some of the external providers is that they will just want to fill the rooms - taking some students from institution A, or B , or C, not caring whether the students have anything in common or not.

Of course, this is going to vary, one university to another, newer ones tended to be more out of town, with maybe more space, for older ones the town or city may have partly built up around the university.

takno

Established Member
Actually almost all new technology starts as pure research. University researchers are constantly discovering things that have no practical application, which are then turned into useable products in industry. Probably the most pertinent example is HTTP and HTML (well, SGMLs generally), which were of no more than theoretical interest at CERN until they were put together into the World-Wide Web.
HTTP/HTML are basically a couple of weekends of work done in spare time by somebody who was actually researching something completely different, and they date back 20 years to when we had a rather smaller and more effective higher education sector. Nothing about it justifies the modern day expenditure on employing people to fill useless journals with largely unread papers which primarily document the author's absolute inability to understand basic statistics.

This is probably running a bit off-topic though. I just find it weird that so many people unquestioningly defend the sector when it appears to have grown to a point where it's doing active harm to various parts of society.

Last edited:

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think we need to get back to discussing Rishi Sunak and the Conservative party specifically.

As ever if anyone wants to discuss anything else then they are welcome to start a new thread.

DoubleLemon

Actually, I was being facetious with my working T's and C's.

However, being serious, the last place I worked 2.5hrs a day were planned in for breaks. Even this wasn't enough for one demographic who happily left earlier and who would simply go home in the afternoon if they had no work on. NO questions were ever asked or action taken against them. That, and they were resolute about their trade boundaries as they termed them.

Unfortunately, and non had actually worked in the real world, as they would be unemployable if they had, life had moved on which meant anybody who was qualified could do their job....as I used to take great delight in demonstrating.
Did you ever stop to think they might be working from home, have kids they needed to look after or even got all thier work done. Of I'm waiting for developers to do something and I've got everything else complete. I finish for the day. Just leave teams on and go do something else. No point sitting at a desk with I dobt need to.

Snow1964

Established Member
Did you ever stop to think they might be working from home, have kids they needed to look after or even got all thier work done. Of I'm waiting for developers to do something and I've got everything else complete. I finish for the day. Just leave teams on and go do something else. No point sitting at a desk with I dobt need to.
Sorry for being naive, but how does your daily routine relate to Rishi Sunak (which is what this thread is about)