• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT Industrial Action - EMR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I believe it's discussed elsewhere, but there's also engineering work affecting services to / from Lincoln that weekend too.
The East Coast services are diverting via the joint line but nothing affecting EMR services to/from Lincoln except variations to allow the diversions to happen looking at RTT.

Mugby

Established Member
I got the first EMR service from Sheffield to London last Sunday, the 0823. It was doubled up Meridians, as they promised the reduced strike day services would be.

However, only one TM was apparently available so the rear set was locked out of use. It sort of negated the idea really!

Killingworth

Established Member
At last weeks Stakeholder Conference a question about strikes was turned aside with the answer that they were suspended, but without noting that trains were also still suspended.

At another pint during the day it was admitted that even without strikes it was getting harder to get enough crews to work on Sundays.

Moonshot

Established Member
At last weeks Stakeholder Conference a question about strikes was turned aside with the answer that they were suspended, but without noting that trains were also still suspended.

At another pint during the day it was admitted that even without strikes it was getting harder to get enough crews to work on Sundays.
Getting staff to work Sunday has indeed become a bit more difficult....it's affecting TOCs everywhere. My own depot has a shortage of volunteers for this weekend, no doubt trains will be getting cancelled. It's a problem which isn't going to be solved easily ...... staff simply don't want Sunday in the working week.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
In many industries a requirement to work Sundays would be an integral part of the employment conditions. If it's a new requirement then it may well only apply to future new recruits. This doesn't seem to apply to the railways even though there are often multiple different Ts & Cs in place at most of them. Not surprising that the problem won't go away.

LowLevel

Established Member
In many industries a requirement to work Sundays would be an integral part of the employment conditions. If it's a new requirement then it may well only apply to future new recruits. This doesn't seem to apply to the railways even though there are often multiple different Ts & Cs in place at most of them. Not surprising that the problem won't go away.
EMR drivers are already (mostly) on Sundays in the week. Many conductors and train managers have a grey area "commitment" to work them. This will be affirmed for conductors if this deal is accepted with new starters having them in their working week, so EMR all round should be less problematic than most.

However it is still a fact that when shortfalls occur, getting people to volunteer to work overtime on weekends is more difficult than weekdays and this will always be the case.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
EMR drivers are already (mostly) on Sundays in the week. Many conductors and train managers have a grey area "commitment" to work them. This will be affirmed for conductors if this deal is accepted with new starters having them in their working week, so EMR all round should be less problematic than most.

However it is still a fact that when shortfalls occur, getting people to volunteer to work overtime on weekends is more difficult than weekdays and this will always be the case.
Thanks for the update. It appears, from comments on other threads, that it's some other TOCs that have not yet achieved quite so much.....

Established Member
Details of the timetables for the 3/4th December are now on the strike action page. In short London services will be like Sundays with hourly to Corby, Nottingham and Sheffield. Regional routes will be reduced before 0800 and after 2000 with buses replacing cancelled services.

Temporary changes to EMR services due to industrial action. | EMR | East Midlands Railway

Route specific changes on the regional side:
Liverpool - Norwich:

Friday - run between Peterborough and Manchester only
Saturday - run between Nottingham and Manchester only

Newark - Crewe
Run between Derby and Crewe only

Lincoln - Nottingham
Limited changes due to the Christmas Markets. Some services will be run by 222's.

Nottingham - Skegness
Run between Nottingham and Grantham only

Doncaster - Peterborough
No trains

nanstallon

If anything good was to come from the government with respect to rail tomorrow, it would be making strikes within the industry illegal.
Although I am fed up with RMT calling strikes so often, and I believe that they are destroying reliability and public confidence in the railway, the right to withdraw labour is an essential part of a free society. Not many of us would want to live in an authoritarian state such as Pinochet's Chile.

Mally66

Surely the answer to double, suggested triple crewing of trains is to run them as fixed formations like the Class 700 and 755. TMs, catering staff and passengers have full access to the entire train. I'm no expert but it seems the logical answer to me. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

dk1

Veteran Member
Surely the answer to double, suggested triple crewing of trains is to run them as fixed formations like the Class 700 and 755. TMs, catering staff and passengers have full access to the entire train. I'm no expert but it seems the logical answer to me. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
But it only seems to be EMR that suffers this problem with multiple unit working. This might be an issue at St.Pancras where shared platform is required due to only 4 platforms being available. Not being pedantic, but I think you mean 745.

Mally66

But it only seems to be EMR that suffers this problem with multiple unit working. This might be an issue at St.Pancras where shared platform is required due to only 4 platforms being available. Not being pedantic, but I think you mean 745.
Oooops Typo

londonmidland

Established Member
It seems anywhere West of Manchester and East of Grantham/Peterborough has been 'forgotten' about by EMR for quite a while now. Even with a reduced service, there are still cancellations affecting these services.

mpthomson

Although I am fed up with RMT calling strikes so often, and I believe that they are destroying reliability and public confidence in the railway, the right to withdraw labour is an essential part of a free society. Not many of us would want to live in an authoritarian state such as Pinochet's Chile.
Many European countries that don't remotely resemble Pinochet's Chile have minimum service level legislation in situ to deal with industrial action.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Strikes save the government money. Saving money trumps everything else. The government really can't believe their luck that so many train crew support them.
Running a public service is a side issue. Saving government money is all they're interested in.

High Dyke

Established Member
Out of interest, what happens when two non-gangwayed units are coupled together? I believe that is one of the dispute matters (Class 360's)

Mugby

Established Member
Out of interest, what happens when two non-gangwayed units are coupled together? I believe that is one of the dispute matters (Class 360's)

My recent experience, on Sheffield-London services, firstly on a strike day, then a non-strike day has been that if a second crew member isn't available, the rear set is locked out of use.

High Dyke

Established Member
My recent experience, on Sheffield-London services, firstly on a strike day, then a non-strike day has been that if a second crew member isn't available, the rear set is locked out of use.
Imagine that passenger furore if that was the case with the Corby - London electrics. It's bad enough that management have forced the TU to take industrial action, from a travelling public viewpoint, without making a mockery of providing sufficient capacity. And to top it off they point their grubby fingers at everyone else!

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Imagine that passenger furore if that was the case with the Corby - London electrics. It's bad enough that management have forced the TU to take industrial action, from a travelling public viewpoint, without making a mockery of providing sufficient capacity. And to top it off they point their grubby fingers at everyone else!
How has the management forced the TU ?

Established Member

It is possible for 222s to operate in multiple with one guard in extremis. It’s decidedly sub-optimal for various reasons; calling at Long Eaton being a mighty big one, based on recent experience!

High Dyke

Established Member
It is possible for 222s to operate in multiple with one guard in extremis. It’s decidedly sub-optimal for various reasons; calling at Long Eaton being a mighty big one, based on recent experience!
I did spot a couple of workings last week that were 'Fail to Stop' at Long Eaton due to train formation.

Established Member
I did spot a couple of workings last week that were 'Fail to Stop' at Long Eaton due to train formation.

The stops were removed on multiple unit weekend workings during the recent industrial action (and the amended timetable thereafter). These were dealt with initially via not to call orders and then amended diagrams. No doubt showed up as “not stopping” on RTT trains etc.

Note: that’s not the same thing as a “fail to call” where the driver simply forgets to stop at a station, or brakes too late, overshoots, and is instructed to continue by the signaller. That’s a whole different kettle of fish. Not one you ever want to sniff as a driver, so to speak!

Established Member
Changes are starting to filter through for Friday and Saturday on Real Time Trains so it does look like the strikes are going ahead really not good for anyone traveling on the regional routes in the morning as some routes don't start until around 10am including the Robin Hood Line which the first arrival into Nottingham is not until 1144!

High Dyke

Established Member
The stops were removed on multiple unit weekend workings during the recent industrial action (and the amended timetable thereafter). These were dealt with initially via not to call orders and then amended diagrams. No doubt showed up as “not stopping” on RTT trains etc.

Note: that’s not the same thing as a “fail to call” where the driver simply forgets to stop at a station, or brakes too late, overshoots, and is instructed to continue by the signaller. That’s a whole different kettle of fish. Not one you ever want to sniff as a driver, so to speak!
Changes were shown as FTS on TRUST, but had the accompanying incident number to explain the change.

PupCuff

Aye, similar terms which can sometimes lead to some confusion.

Fail to Stop refers to performance, where a train is for instance diverted, or asked by control to run fast.

Fail to Call refers to an operating incident where a train passes a station where it was booked to call with no attempt made by the Driver to stop at that station - not always the Driver's fault, of course. (If the Driver makes an attempt to stop before the station but applies the brakes late, slips on leafy rails etc conventionally, conventionally that's referred to as a Station Overrun).

LCC106

Established Member
Aye, similar terms which can sometimes lead to some confusion.

Fail to Stop refers to performance, where a train is for instance diverted, or asked by control to run fast.

Fail to Call refers to an operating incident where a train passes a station where it was booked to call with no attempt made by the Driver to stop at that station - not always the Driver's fault, of course. (If the Driver makes an attempt to stop before the station but applies the brakes late, slips on leafy rails etc conventionally, conventionally that's referred to as a Station Overrun).
So a FTS isn’t an issue so to speak as this is a non stop order? Would a failure to stop when issued a non-stop order be a failure to call? Just a bit confused here…

Dieseldriver

So a FTS isn’t an issue so to speak as this is a non stop order? Would a failure to stop when issued a non-stop order be a failure to call? Just a bit confused here…
Basically Fail To Call generally refers to a train not stopping at a station that it definitely should have stopped at (to be honest, in most cases it would be down to driver error but could also be as a result of a diagram misprint/error).
Fail To Stop refers to a scenario where a train is booked to stop at A B C and D but because of late running, a decision is made higher up to skip stopping at B and C and run fast from A to D so it can make some time up.

Status
Not open for further replies.