• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT Strike Action Thursday 20th, Saturday 22nd and Saturday 29th July 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

father_jack

Dear RMT Member,

DEFEND JOBS, PAY AND CONDITIONS – TRAIN OPERATING COMPANIES

I wrote to you all last week and advised that should the Union not receive any meaningful proposals, and should no progress be forthcoming, then when the NEC consider this matter, they would be outlining further dates of strike action.

The RDG and Train Operating Companies have once again failed to provide any proposals for the Union to consider. The National Executive Committee has considered this matter further and has placed on record their commendations of RMT members and the fortitude members have shown in defending their jobs, pay and conditions over the last twelve months.

During this period, not a single compulsory redundancy has been made, nor a single booking office closed. This is evidently down to the industrial action and determination of members to fight for jobs, pay and conditions.

Over the last twelve months, the country has seen the departures of three Prime Ministers and three Secretaries of State for Transport. But our members are still in this campaign, rock solid and determined to see it through. You and your colleagues have remained resilient and your resolve to fight for our key demands has been and remains unwavering.

It should also be noted, that within the industry the Union has achieved acceptable pay awards at Train Operating Companies that are not constrained by the government and the departments for Transport’s Rail Delivery group.

The repeated rejected offers from secretaries of state will not weaken our resolve to achieve an acceptable deal for RMT members. The government need to release their grip on the fourteen Rail Delivery Group Train Operating Companies and allow them to enter into discussions and reach a mutually acceptable deal.

In the absence of any offer, we have no choice but to continue our fight. After giving this matter further consideration, the Union’s NEC is calling further strike action.

Therefore, the Union’s National Executive Committee is instructing all members working for Avanti West Coast, C2C, Chiltern Railway, Cross Country, East Midlands Railway, GTR (Gatwick Express, Southern Thameslink and Great Northern), Great Western Railway, Greater Anglia, London North Eastern Railway, Northern Trains, SE Trains, South Western Railway, TransPennine Express and West Midlands Trains (WMR & LNWR) to take the following strike action:

All members involved in the dispute to take strike action and NOT TO BOOK ON for any shifts between:

0001 Hours and 2359 Hours on Thursday 20th July 2023

0001 Hours and 2359 Hours on Saturday 22nd July 2023

0001 Hours and 2359 Hours on Saturday 29th July 2023

I ask that members remain resilient and continue to show solidarity. We must continue to stand shoulder to shoulder during the industrial action.

Since this dispute began, the union has always been available for talks to resolve this entirely avoidable dispute, and we continue to remain available to find a meaningful resolution.

I will write to members with any further updates

UNITY IS STRENGTH

SUPPORT THE ACTION

DEFEND YOUR JOBS, PAY AND CONDITIONS

Yours sincerely

Michael Lynch

General Secretary

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jkkne

At what point do these strikes just become wallpaper to at least the leisure travelling public?
They'll tut, shake their head, take their refund and book a plane, coach or drive.
They'll try the train next time and if its not on strike, great, if it is...rinse and repeat

MikeWM

Established Member
...and so we enter year 2 of all this fun. The first strike was a year ago yesterday, I believe?

On the plus side, this is 4 weeks notice - which is significantly preferable to 2 weeks. Would be good if there was a commitment to that sort of notice period going forwards, as it does seem this is going to go on more-or-less forever.

Ianigsy

I feel for anybody trying to run a business or a tourist attraction which depends on rail passengers at the moment. I had tentative plans to treat myself to a couple of days on the West Highland that week, but the strikes mean that I’d probably have to break my journey in Glasgow or Edinburgh in both directions, which isn’t really affordable.

footprints

At what point do these strikes just become wallpaper to at least the leisure travelling public?
They'll tut, shake their head, take their refund and book a plane, coach or drive.
They'll try the train next time and if its not on strike, great, if it is...rinse and repeat
That's happening already. All these strikes will achieve is cost RMT members another three days' wages to add to the 28 they've lost in the past twelve months. It barely even makes the news anymore.

Sooner or later the government will just impose the changes the RMT could have negotiated and attempted to mitigate. It's Southern all over again.

alholmes

...and so we enter year 2 of all this fun. The first strike was a year ago yesterday, I believe?

On the plus side, this is 4 weeks notice - which is significantly preferable to 2 weeks. Would be good if there was a commitment to that sort of notice period going forwards, as it does seem this is going to go on more-or-less forever.
I’m guessing the 20th & 22nd have been chosen as that’s the time when the majority of schools finish. The 22nd is the day when there’ll be lengthy traffic queues at Dover.

luvchocolate

My Granddaughter birthday was travelling from Huddersfield to Stockport..which is a nightmare on a weekly basis.
Now I'm looking at taxis both ways

Robertj21a

On Moderation
That's happening already. All these strikes will achieve is cost RMT members another three days' wages to add to the 28 they've lost in the past twelve months. It barely even makes the news anymore.

Sooner or later the government will just impose the changes the RMT could have negotiated and attempted to mitigate. It's Southern all over again.
Absolutely. The lack of logic or common sense suggests that the RMT must still believe that the travelling public will be highly concerned - when most of those who might have been affected gave up with them months ago. Even more coaches and cars on the road in future.
What a shame that a once important industry should follow such a downhill path.

westv

Established Member
I'd imagine that Weds afternoon and evening services on the ECML will be affected.

brad465

Established Member

Maybe they think they can persuade the RDG to improve an offer early enough to call off the strike dates.
Sundays are very busy but for some strange reason they always seem to avoid calling a strike on that day.
Engineering works reducing the impact?

I've been fortunate that they waited a while to announce more dates so key events I have in the next fortnight will be unaffected, although I have a multi-day cycle event across the first 2 dates announced that, while not affecting me getting to the start and from the finish, if I got into trouble and needed to get the train back could be an issue.

DunsBus

Established Member
You just get the impression that Mick Lynch loves wrecking peoples' holiday plans. He is nothing more than a selfish, self-centred oaf.

baz962

Established Member
That doesn't matter as such as I'm sure the unions don't want to put people out. It's the loss to the economy more.

Billy Hicks

While I didn't have any plans on the three strike days, I have a rather major trip on Sunday 30th July that has an advance ticket booked from just after 8am at Clapham Junction, operated by South Western Railway. I can (just) get an early morning bus or three to Clapham Junction from where I live in Surrey for that time, but would a train that early the morning after a strike still run?

westv

Established Member
The 4 weeks notice makes me think they'll announce something in a day or two with 2 weeks notice.

baz962

Established Member
You just get the impression that Mick Lynch loves wrecking peoples' holiday plans. He is nothing more than a selfish, self-centred oaf.
Nonsense. It isn't the public that he wants to upset , it's the government.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Sundays are very busy but for some strange reason they always seem to avoid calling a strike on that day.
Firstly Sundays aren't generally busier than weekdays if you compare a full day's service. People think they're busy because there are a few long-distance trains at capacity, but that doesn't mean that more people travel. Secondly it's very common for action short of a strike to take place on Sundays.

Drogba11CFC

Can you explain that?
Winchester City - Cribbs away is on the 29th. Whitehawk away was on the 22nd, but I've just found out that it was cancelled.

Nonsense. It isn't the public that he wants to upset , it's the government.
Then perhaps he could stop MPs and bankers from getting to Parliament/the City, instead of ordinary people who just want to enjoy their Saturdays.

EC54

Travelling down to Southampton for a cruise during this period , so every chance i will have to make alternative plans, however i back them to the hilt , workers wages and t& cs are far more important than my plans for a holiday. Best of luck to them they have my full backing.

Starmill

Veteran Member
The problem is that the government haven't budged. Sooner or later the public will run out of patience.
In general the public are much more bothered about other things that the government are busy ruining for all of us than the railways.

Status
Not open for further replies.