• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT strikes announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazzaa2

That's because there likely IS no interest in ending it; they're waiting with the assumption that the unions will eventually "give up and shut up", effectively, whether it's right or wrong to do so. Although to a degree, I think it's the right approach, because if they concede every time, how long before they decide their newly increased level of pay is also insufficient?

I think the government have been just waiting for the public to turn on the union and then up the ante with their union busting friends in the press.

Mick Lynch's general popularity and media savvy has prevented a Scargill effect so far. It's a pi$$ing contest though, has been throughout.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
I think the government have been just waiting for the public to turn on the union and then up the ante with their union busting friends in the press.

Mick Lynch's general popularity has prevented a Scargill effect so far. It's a pi$$ing contest though.

I thought he came across pretty well live on BBC News this evening talking to Jane Hill. He explained the main issues clearly too.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

Mick Lynch's general popularity and media savvy has prevented a Scargill effect so far. It's a pi$$ing contest though, has been throughout.
To be honest, when you see Mick Lynch ranting and raving on just about every breakfast television and evening talk show in his somewhat resentful manner, it's no surprise popularity isn't high.

dk1

Veteran Member
To be honest, when you see Mick Lynch ranting and raving on just about every breakfast television and evening talk show in his somewhat resentful manner, it's no surprise popularity isn't high.

He seems to come across more laid back chilled than ranting or raving to me. Some of the news presenters seem to be the ones losing their cool.

Thirteen

I do think the Government has changed tact since Shapps was replaced. The fact the current Transport Secretary and the former Transport Secretary have been willing to meet with union leaders is a change of pace.

I also think they needs to less 'overthrow the government' type rhetoric from unions, perhaps it was possible when it was Boris and Truss but it's not going to happen under the current government.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Just because services have operated on routes in previous strikes is no bearing to which routes will run on these strikes it could well be less if there are less contingent staff available due to other commitments.

Particularly if ASLEF walk out on the same day.

Urobach

Wow! That’s one way to upset your own members,lose pay and not be allowed to scrape some of it back. Well,at least Mick Lynch still gets paid. How about a years free RMT membership and some strike pay please?
You do understand the members gave them the mandate to do so, right?

Fred26

All after the Xmas pay period.

Not everyone is paid at the same time.

If they want to strike they can strike but that stunt last time was out of order. Cancelling last minute so staff didnt lose pay but the trains didnt run anyway.

At least they've confirmed that.with a new wave of strikes already.

You assume they aren’t going to cancel the strikes two minutes before they are due to start like last time

There was no stunt. The RDG agreed, in writing, to intensive talks late in the day on Friday 4th November, but only on condition that the RMT cancel the strikes.
The RMT cancelled the strikes.
You can read that letter on the RMT website, along with other correspondence from the RDG and NWR.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
You do understand the members gave them the mandate to do so, right?

Indeed the union is only acting on behalf of its member’s request for both strike action and action short of a strike in the recent ballot.

theking

Lovely.

There is plenty of money to go to the tocs and tory donors.

About time some of it was spent on the staff.

The tories caused hyper inflation not a cleaner or signaller.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I think the 48 hour strikes are one thing but overtime ban might be something the leadership may have to recede on just because of the financial impact.

Interestingly, Mick Lynch is meeting with the Transport Secretary this week so clearly both unions and DfT do see eye to eye.
Grant Shapps said it was rge job of the companies to meet and not the ministers. Presumably, he holds a differnecw of opinion from his fellow minister.

I was hoping someone might interview him when nurses go on strike so he could compare their pay with that of rail workers.

And that was the big problem. Parliament was more or less shut for summer recess, and there wasn't really a PM either. The earliest any strikes should have been called was after September 5th when the new PM was appointed.

Big mistake for RMT in my view
Well, Grant Shapps seemed to be available to compare nurse pay to rail worker pay.

What are the chances of Network Rail playing hardball and imposing a lockout on December 15th, given that services will be disrupted that day anyway?
I can't see this happening.

But given progress so far, do the RMT really expect the Government/DfT/employers to agree to their demands now? (They must of course, otherwise there would be no point).

Indeed, and when this finally ends there will be no winners, not staff, passengers or the general railway industry.
Will the government be a winner?
Just because services have operated on routes in previous strikes is no bearing to which routes will run on these strikes it could well be less if there are less contingent staff available due to other commitments.
Some might have annual leave that must be used by 31/12.
I’m presuming the days after the strike will have no morning peak service as the rail industry will find loads of different reasons why they can’t provide a service as per usual. First trains into Leeds after a strike routinely arrive after 9am.
I doubt any Reading to Gatwick Airport trains will run during that period, save the odd one at night that runs as a stopper.

gazzaa2

I do think the Government has changed tact since Shapps was replaced. The fact the current Transport Secretary and the former Transport Secretary have been willing to meet with union leaders is a change of pace.

I also think they needs to less 'overthrow the government' type rhetoric from unions, perhaps it was possible when it was Boris and Truss but it's not going to happen under the current government.

I just don't think they're all that bothered. Sunak has got a lot on his plate, the trains being on strike every few weeks is low down his list of priorities, rightly or wrongly. Especially given the nurses, firefighters and civil servants will be out on strike soon and any pay settlement with the RMT would set a precedent.

Drogba11CFC

That's train strikes on FA Cup 1st, 2nd and 3rd round dates as well. Really playing havoc with fixtures this season, as every round of strikes always has to include a Saturday.
Wasn't going to go to an FA Cup game but 7th is Winchester City's trip to Met Police; which was supposed to be a home game but they had the fixtures switched, so I'll have to get a lift. That's all I'm saying on away matches for now as walls have ears.

Thirteen

I do admit I do get confused why the RMT accuses the Government of meddling with negotiations then asks them to come to the table to help with said negotiations. Surely it's one or the other?

dk1

Veteran Member
I do admit I do get confused why the RMT accuses the Government of meddling with negotiations then asks them to come to the table to help with said negotiations. Surely it's one or the other?

I don’t think you quite grasp things.

baz962

Established Member
He seems to come across more laid back chilled than ranting or raving to me. Some of the news presenters seem to be the ones losing their cool.
I remember when he skinned Kay Burley. Even other famous people were on social media , telling her she got done.

Geml246

Should have been a third question on the Ballot Paper - Do you support strike action & action short of a strike concurrently? To have avoided any doubt that both might happen.

brad465

Established Member
I just don't think they're all that bothered. Sunak has got a lot on his plate, the trains being on strike every few weeks is low down his list of priorities, rightly or wrongly. Especially given the nurses, firefighters and civil servants will be out on strike soon and any pay settlement with the RMT would set a precedent.
The reverse would also be true if a pay settlement is reached with the others before the RMT.

ExRes

Established Member
Lovely.

There is plenty of money to go to the tocs and tory donors.

About time some of it was spent on the staff.

The tories caused hyper inflation not a cleaner or signaller.

I think you need a glass of water, hyperinflation requires an inflationary rate of 50% per month or in excess of 1000% per year, I really don't think we've got to that point

RedMum77

The 91% who voted to strike are more than happy to do so as that's what I and they voted for. 8 dates within a 4 week period is considerably more than has been up to this point and is more than people would conceivably planned for

Agreed, doing both is a real hammer to members. But hopefully it will force a hand somewhere
Exactly this. I've been losing 3 shifts a month to strike action which is just about OK. In this next round I will lose 5 shifts plus a Sunday. This is going to be ridiculously hard for me as a single parent. I don't think anyone expected it to be ramped up quite so much

KGX

I think you need a glass of water, hyperinflation requires an inflationary rate of 50% per month or in excess of 1000% per year, I really don't think we've got to that point
As well as the fact that it's a worldwide issue right now.

Will be interesting to see if this step up forces a settlement.

Dave91131

Exactly this. I've been losing 3 shifts a month to strike action which is just about OK. In this next round I will lose 5 shifts plus a Sunday. This is going to be ridiculously hard for me as a single parent. I don't think anyone expected it to be ramped up quite so much

You could, you know, go to work and get paid.

Just a suggestion.

Christmas

I think it's the right approach, because if they concede every time, how long before they decide their newly increased level of pay is also insufficient?
Erm... that would depend on how long the deal struck lasted wouldn't it? Unions don't suddenly demand more money or fight back against changes to terms and conditions on a whim! Typically most deals at the moment are one year deals, with the anniversary in April. So if this is resolved before the strike dates then it'll all be up for negotiation again in April 2023.

There must be two Mick Lynchs in that case because the one I see is calm, measured, articulate and lucid.

KGX

Good luck. Hope you get a deal done and it's avoided. Not the best time to lose pay around Christmas.

Christmas

They're actually asking for the government/DfT to give the TOCs and Network Rail management the authority to give pay deals.

RedMum77

Good luck. Hope you get a deal done and it's avoided. Not the best time to lose pay around Christmas.
It won't affect Xmas pay but Jan and Feb also. 2 of the toughest months anyway. Alot of us thought we were quite close to a deal when the last round was called off tbh, I really hope this escalation forces it through now cos its quite a shocking upscaling and I don't think it was expected

Status
Not open for further replies.