• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Royal Photo Controversy

Ashley Hill

Established Member
The major headline today is that the Princess of Wales has digitally altered the family photo released on Mother’s Day. Is this really the big deal that the media circus are making of it and do you care?
Kate photo withdrawn by five news agencies amid 'manipulation' concerns https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68526972

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
The major headline today is that the Princess of Wales has digitally altered the family photo released on Mother’s Day. Is this really the big deal that the media circus are making of it and do you care?
I don't care because I'm a republican and I'd pack them all off to a cul-de-sac in Leicester anyway, it just goes to show than they're not to be trusted in the way they try to manipulate the media in their favour. The media is just the usual fawning rubbish but will also be annoyed about being made to look stupid.

brad465

Established Member
I do wonder if this year will be Charles' "annus horriblis": he got diagnosed with cancer (although sounds like he's caught it early and could recover as a result), Kate's had surgery and been subject to much speculation about her health, which this photo controversy has exacerbated as well as being an incident in its own right, while there are still 9 months to go.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I don`t think she`s doing herself any favours by not releasing the original however bad the photo was.That makes it look like she has got something to hide which stirs up conspiracies and the media. At the end of the day its just a family photo,its not like she`s edited out Andrew! Many photographers have altered photos for their betterment and there are even apps for this on phones plus those that are currently being advertised on TV.

adc82140

Established Member
I know what procedure she had done. Obviously I can't say on an open forum, but let's just say the conspiracy theories are just that. Theories, with no foundation in reality. She is not on her deathbed.

dangie

Established Member
I really don't know what all the fuss is about. Media centres digitally manipulate photos all the time. I often remove my wedding ring/watch whilst at work. Personally, I like the photo; it's informal and the family look cheery
Same here. Some people really need to get a life.

brad465

Established Member
Top news item everywhere today, everything else is fine.
The media by and large love celebrity gossip. When that gossip is coming from the royals, that love goes up by an order of magnitude. I don't know what came first, the media giving gossip attention or the public's desire for it, but it's now a feedback loop that will be very difficult to break.

skyhigh

Established Member
I know what procedure she had done. Obviously I can't say on an open forum, but let's just say the conspiracy theories are just that. Theories, with no foundation in reality. She is not on her deathbed.
Regardless, given the speculation they must have known that sending out a photo that's been badly photoshopped would do nothing but inflame the conspiracies.

uglymonkey

They were probably just show a set of " proofs" and said " that one" - manipulated or not. No more thought to it than that.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
When I saw the photo on Sunday I thought it was nice. It took the BBC lunchtime news to thoroughly point out the the errors to me that made me decide not change my mind. It does make me think of the phrase “Today is a good day for bad news”.

dangie

Established Member
Photography is my main hobby. I have an online photography page. I try to upload an image every week. ALL of my images have received editing to a lesser or greater extent.

I’m guessing the image in question only received minor editing. Nothing wrong with that. At the resolution and quality which images are printed in newspapers or digitally for screens, few people would have a clue they had had any editing. Some people have far too much idle time on their hands.

alex397

Established Member
“Woman edits photo” is how I imagine Private Eye will satirise this story.

I can’t believe this is even news. There are so much more important things that need attention from the media.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
The media by and large love celebrity gossip. When that gossip is coming from the royals, that love goes up by an order of magnitude. I don't know what came first, the media giving gossip attention or the public's desire for it, but it's now a feedback loop that will be very difficult to break.

I can’t believe this is even news. There are so much more important things that need attention from the media.
Exactly!

jfollows

Established Member
I don’t care about this case, but to me there’s a difference between a photograph that purports to be an accurate representation and one that’s been fiddled with to make it “look good”. I know that no photograph is ever totally accurate, but if someone wants to make out that the photograph is supposed to be of something “real” they shouldn’t fiddle with it.

dangie

Established Member
I’m wishing it was Princess Anne who took this photograph. If so I don’t think an apology would have come, totally the opposite.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Ditto that. We brought a new puppy home yesterday, so I've far more important things to worry about than this utter nothing burger.

Far more importantly, the same mindset should apply to the media for crying out loud, but that's obviously naive thinking on my part, as this isn't the first time this same nonsensical routine has occurred and will not be the last.

Last edited:

adc82140

Established Member

I would like to say "slow news day" but there is important stuff going on that's been pushed down the running order by this. Domestically a sitting MP has defected to the Farage Party, and internationally Haiti is on the brink of a civil war. It's pathetic, once again the media is self obsessed, as it was with the Huw Edwards thing, and Philip Schofield.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I would like to say "slow news day" but there is important stuff going on that's been pushed down the running order by this. Domestically a sitting MP has defected to the Farage Party
I suppose that is one benefit of this nonsense, 30p Lee's big day has been overshadowed by poor photo editing.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
As I found out to my cost when I switched on the BBC six o'clock news where it was the lead story... :rolleyes:

I really am sure that virtually all the normal population of Britain are not in the least concerned about a photograph of a mother and children, but the media types with inflated egos take it upon themselves to make triviality their major talking point which they can pontificate upon to their heart's delight. Thank God there are very many other TV channels to watch at the same time as the BBC six o'clock news that pressing a button on "the remote" finds immediately.

87electric

As I found out to my cost when I switched on the BBC six o'clock news where it was the lead story... :rolleyes:

I really am sure that virtually all the normal population of Britain are not in the least concerned about a photograph of a mother and children, but the media types with inflated egos take it upon themselves to make triviality their major talking point which they can pontificate upon to their heart's delight. Thank God there are very many other TV channels to watch at the same time as the BBC six o'clock news that pressing a button on "the remote" finds immediately.
Or go one step further and remove the BBC channel from your life. It really does invigorate your life in joining other ways of finding news and entertainment.

dangie

Established Member
BBC News this evening was asking ‘Why is this the leading story?’

Because you’re bl**dy making it so…… that’s why……!!

alex397

Established Member
Or go one step further and remove the BBC channel from your life. It really does invigorate your life in joining other ways of finding news and entertainment.
I always try to look at various news sources, but it’s clear to me that the BBC remains one of the most unbiased ones. It’s not perfect, but for me, there are many news sources that are too left wing or too right wing or too subservient to their owners.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I always try to look at various news sources, but it’s clear to me that the BBC remains one of the most unbiased ones. It’s not perfect, but for me, there are many news sources that are too left wing or too right wing or too subservient to their owners.
What I really was annoyed about is the so-called lead story is in no way comparable to major events occurring in the world today. One might ask are the BBC priorities governed by "those on high".