• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[S] SJ to buy new regional trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Now, let's see which other manufacturer appeals this decision and bats it into the long grass for 2 years. <:D

scarby

SJ has just announced an order for at least 25 new regional trains from CAF. They will be used between Uppsala and Stockholm, Linköping-Ljusdal, the local Stockholm-Göteborg trains north of Mälaren and Göteborg-Kalmar.

Press release (in Swedish): https://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/sj/pressreleases/sj-koeper-nya-regionaltaag-3138942

Will that deal a final blow to what little remaining SJ loco-hauled stock there is, apart from overnight trains?

What about the double-decker X40s? Will these continue or are they heading for the scrapyard? I have found them to be somewhat weird, with some strange seat layouts and the first class is near-identical to second class. There is zero catering even though they operate on some long routes. The only thing I like about them are the peculiar sideways-facing sofa type seats on the upper deck, which aren't reservable (i.e. aren't sold, along with some other sideways seats) and therefore seem to be barely used, at least in first class. I like them as they offer privacy and you can spread your stuff out on them; I think most passengers don't like the idea of travelling sideways.

James James

Now, let's see which other manufacturer appeals this decision and bats it into the long grass for 2 years. <:D
Seems unlikely given the small order size. Alstom is hopefully already exhausted from trying to sabotage Stadler all over the place on the much bigger OBB and SBB orders.

JonasB

Will that deal a final blow to what little remaining SJ loco-hauled stock there is, apart from overnight trains?

Together with the new high speed trains it will mean the end of loco hauled day trains for SJ. These trains will mostly replace the regional trains and the new high speed trains will mean the end of the loco hauled Intercitys.

What about the double-decker X40s? Will these continue or are they heading for the scrapyard? I have found them to be somewhat weird, with some strange seat layouts and the first class is near-identical to second class. There is zero catering even though they operate on some long routes. The only thing I like about them are the peculiar sideways-facing sofa type seats on the upper deck, which aren't reservable (i.e. aren't sold, along with some other sideways seats) and therefore seem to be barely used, at least in first class.
The X40s will remain and be used together with the new trains. They are a bit weird, I can agree with that. And since they mostly operate on routes where seat reservations are either optional or not possible there sideways sofas do get used a bit.

scarby

Together with the new high speed trains it will mean the end of loco hauled day trains for SJ. These trains will mostly replace the regional trains and the new high speed trains will mean the end of the loco hauled Intercitys.

The X40s will remain and be used together with the new trains. They are a bit weird, I can agree with that. And since they mostly operate on routes where seat reservations are either optional or not possible there sideways sofas do get used a bit.
Thanks, Jonas. I had better get some bashing done between Stockholm and Uppsala while there is still the opportunity.

JonasB

Thanks, Jonas. I had better get some bashing done between Stockholm and Uppsala while there is still the opportunity.
The loco hauled trains will still be around for a few years, but outside rush hour a lot of trains are X40s. But I will miss those first class seats in the A7s!

Status
Not open for further replies.