• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Saying "Pardon me" when sitting next to someone

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
I was brought up to say "Pardon me" when sitting in an empty seat next to someone on a train or bus. I just think this is good manners but does anyone else do this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A0wen

On Moderation
If somebody next to me said 'pardon me' on a train or bus, I'd assume they'd either just belched or farted.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
That is good manners! If the only seats left are next to someone then I will just ask if they mind if I sit there, bit of a rhetorical question really as unless the person sitting in that seat has genuinely popped to the Loo or Buffet then there should be no reason for saying it's taken!

najaB

Veteran Member
I was brought up to say "Pardon me" when sitting in an empty seat next to someone on a train or bus. I just think this is good manners but does anyone else do this?
I don't say 'pardon me' but I do always ask if the seat is taken.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don't say 'pardon me' but I will always ask if anyone else is sitting there before I sit down next to someone.

delt1c

Established Member
Lets rename the forum MannorsUK Forum, seen some great threads but reckon this takes the biscuit.
By the way if you drop one you dont say pardon , you look at someone else and shake your head

Antman

Established Member

I can't say that I have or had anybody say it to me in such circumstances

DaleCooper

Established Member
I, and most people in my experience, just say something like "Is this seat taken?" or "May I sit here?". If someone said "Pardon me" I'd assume they had done something wrong and were asking to be forgiven.

455driver

Veteran Member
Lets rename the forum MannorsUK Forum, seen some great threads but reckon this takes the biscuit.
By the way if you drop one you dont say pardon , you look at someone else and shake your head

Or even MannersUK! ;)

MCR247

Established Member
Personally I wouldn't say anything when sitting down unless there was something on the seat or something. Its not really rude IMO (but of course I'd say that) as I wouldn't feel the need to say it on the bus (no one has ever said it to me on a bus). Only very rarely does anyone ever say it to me (or around me if I'm paying attention) on a train tbh

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
What happens if they say

"No, I don't like people sitting next to me!"

But seriously, I've never heard anyone say Pardon me when sitting in any seat next to someone.

AM9

Veteran Member
What happens if they say

"No, I don't like people sitting next to me!"

But seriously, I've never heard anyone say Pardon me when sitting in any seat next to someone.

I might say "Excuse me, is this seat taken/free?" which would normally be answered honestly. Asking if they mind is giving them a choice which insn't theirs.

ScotTrains

I usually ask if it's OK to sit there. I do the same if I ever travel on a bus. If it's a busy commuter train I'll just sit if a seat is available.
If someone is in my reserved seat I will stand at my seat then look at my tickets then look at the seat number. If they don't get the hint I will say 'excuse me, I'm afraid I have these seats reserved'. Strangely, I then always apologise when they move out my seat. Must be a British thing!

pdq

For an aisle seat - I just sit down, unless the other passenger needs to move a bag or suchlike; window seat or bag on seat - I say 'excuse me' and head for the seat. Likewise when alighting from the window seat - 'excuse me' and 'thank you'.

rjholt

I have not come across 'pardon me' in this format. Seems a little old fashioned. I do always ask if someone is sitting in a seat however.

That said, I do take particular pleasure in choosing the seats where the person purposefully sits on the ailse with their bag on the window seat.....

AndrewE

Established Member
Is the OP american? or have they just watched too much transatlantic TV / too many films? In the UK "Pardon me" is definitely asking to be excused for something (the literal meaning), whereas I believe that over there they use it (and assume the question is obvious) where we would say "Excuse me, .." and then ask the question.
A normal UK response would be "Why, what have you done?"
A

Last edited:

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
On a bus, I never ask. Nor on a busy train unless it looks like there's a family there. I wouldn't consider it bad manners to say nothing. In Germany though, it's considered good manners to ask on trains so a simple 'ist hier noch frei?' is customary.
Strangely, I then always apologise when they move out my seat. Must be a British thing!
Yup, we apologise for pretty much everything, whether it's our fault or not :lol:

GodAtum

On Moderation
In Germany though, it's considered good manners to ask on trains so a simple 'ist hier noch frei?' is customary.

Interesting! In the same vein, I only go for a seat next to a gentleman first before I sat next to a lady.

WestCoast

Established Member
I ask if the seat is free on a train as there is a chance the seat could already be taken by someone at the buffet / in the toilet. On a bus/metro/tram etc, no.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In Germany though, it's considered good manners to ask on trains so a simple 'ist hier noch frei?

Yes, it is. However, the British way is to add a 'sorry' in there.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.