• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scones and the Correct Order of things - a poll

Jam-first or cream-first on your scone.. what's it to be?

• Cream then jam, aka the Devon method

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • Jam then cream, aka the Cornwall method

Votes: 60 53.1%
  • What's a scone?

Votes: 14 12.4%
  • Jam then scone then cream, aka the 'you what?' method

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alexf380

Established Member
I'm going to open a can of worms and mention a friend of mine that puts butter only on his scon then presses the two halves together and eats it like a sandwich :lol:

Salt and sauce is superior in the chip department.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I'm going to open a can of worms and mention a friend of mine that puts butter only on his scon then presses the two halves together and eats it like a sandwich
Whats wrong with that? I ate some scones yesterday just like that. Jam and cream are fattening. :p

daveo

My thoughts exactly, you don't hear arguments about whether salt goes on chips before or after vinegar, the jam/cream argument is just as silly.

Pronunciation - rhymes with stone
Vinegar first so doesn't wash the salt off. Off topic, sorry!

ChrisC

Established Member
I'm going to open a can of worms and mention a friend of mine that puts butter only on his scon then presses the two halves together and eats it like a sandwich :lol:
Nothing wrong with that. I never have cream on a scone if I’m having them at home. Usually for me it is just butter or butter and jam. If I’m in a tearoom it will always be jam first and then cream on top.

There may be nothing of any significance in this, but I once had a discussion with the owner of a tearoom in Cornwall. I was saying that as far as I know in tearooms in the Derbyshire Peak District it’s usually jam first. I live in Nottinghamshire and lots of my family are from Derbyshire and it seems to be jam first. We were saying was it something connected with historic mining areas like the tin mining in Cornwall, lead mining in Derbyshire, and coal in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire. Probably no connection.

Kumquat

If it's clotted cream and runny homemade jam as God intended, the cream has to go on first.

If it's solid jam and soft cream you can do it the other way round; if you've been given squirty cream you have to. And then never frequent that café ever again.

uglymonkey

I was born in Exeter and spent my formative years in Devon. I have always put jam on first then cream. I find the jam "sticks" better than the Cream first.
The whole family was from Devon , Plymouth originally which may account for any cultural contamination from across the Tamar!

Gloster

Established Member
So what did the GWR do if they crossed the Royal Albert Bridge while the Restaurant Car was serving tea? Did they grab all the scones, wipe off the two layers and then put them back in the reverse order? Or just upturn the scones which had been prepared with identical tops and bottoms? The canny Southern stopped sending their Restaurant Cars into Cornwall to avoid this problem.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Ah, but what sort of sauce? ;)
Fish, chips and gravy.

If it's clotted cream and runny homemade jam as God intended, the cream has to go on first.

If it's solid jam and soft cream you can do it the other way round; if you've been given squirty cream you have to. And then never frequent that café ever again.
Squirty cream belongs in the same bin as that cheese squeezed from a tube. Primula?

Scone as in gone.

The stone of scone or the scone of stone?

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
My first experience, 1966 in Minehead, Somerset i.e. much closer to Devon than Cornwall, and the tea room next to the Wimpy Bar I worked in insisted the clotted cream should go on last and, tell you what, that local clotted cream was superior to so much of the stuff I've tasted since, especially the inferior Rodda's that occupies so much supermarket space at inflated prices.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I'll never understand this fuss about whether the jam or the cream goes on top; it all ends up the same way once it gets past your gob!

Who would dream of putting jam on a cheese scone anyway? ;)

You're missing out... Chilli Jam and Cream Cheese!

I read that the late Queen favoured the Devon method so it would be interesting to know the hitherto Duke of Cornwall’s preference.

westv

Established Member
Done
Gone
Stone

Do many other European languages have words with the same ending but three different pronunciations?

gg1

Established Member
You don't have gravy on chips, you have chip shop curry sauce or cheesy chips!
Of course proper chip shop curry sauce should be based on Chinese curry, some chippies make the mistake of offering a sauce which has an Indian curry flavour.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Gravy on chips is fine, even chippy chips and especially cheesy chips*... gravy on fish, however? Get (back) in the sea!

*=in reference to my comment on another thread, I've heard cheesy chips & gravy described as "Yorkshire Poutine".

yoyothehobo

Gravy on chips is fine, even chippy chips and especially cheesy chips*... gravy on fish, however? Get (back) in the sea!

*=in reference to my comment on another thread, I've heard cheesy chips & gravy described as "Yorkshire Poutine".
I want that, but served in a yorkshire pudding

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Yes I do! As do lots of others.

The local chip shop now have the 'boxed meal deal' as fish, chips and a carton of peas or gravy. Coming soon to a chip shop near you. You can't hold back progress.

Admittedly I prefer a carton and then dunk when I get home and plate the meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.