• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotland - Framework out of the pandemic - 23rd February 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
Was just up in Dumbarton earlier today, definitely saw no police then.

Crazy if BTP are trying to check trains for non-essential travel.

By the way that they were all crowded around each other in that photo in the station, doesn't look like they'll actually be communicating with people.

They only appear to do it randomly and announce it. What would you have said?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
So the "Stay Local" from April 5th - is that Council or Health Board Area? and is it backed by Law or just advisory as in England ?

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
So the "Stay Local" from April 6th - is that Council or Health Board Area and is it backed by Law or just advisory as in England ?
It will be written in law, sadly. You must stay in or within 5 miles of your local authority (council) area or you are in breach of the law.

Butts

Veteran Member
It will be written in law, sadly. You must stay in or within 5 miles of your local authority (council) area or you are in breach of the law.

This is getting silly, what's her response or action likely to be in relation to Wales opening up it's Borders to the rest of the UK in a couple of weeks ?

Why are we bringing up the rear :E

kez19

Established Member

It’s a bit ironic, I can walk into Angus but yet I can step back into Dundee same for Invergowrie too (under Perth/Kinross council).

It’s against joe public but your MPs/politicians will get free roam?

So if MPs campaigning in areas they don’t stay in then surely they are already breaking the law?

route101

Established Member
Don't think it changes until the 26th of April. I seen Edinburgh Zoo were asking for postcodes from visitors and turning away if you were outside Edinburgh City Council. I live near two other council areas and broken this rule dozens of times.

kez19

Established Member
Don't think it changes until the 26th of April. I seen Edinburgh Zoo were asking for postcodes from visitors and turning away if you were outside Edinburgh City Council. I live near two other council areas and broken this rule dozens of times.

Just read that on the site https://www.gov.scot/publications/c...able-for-easing-restrictions/pages/timetable/

travel within all of mainland Scotland permitted (subject to other restrictions that remain in place)

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Reading that guidance worries me. Especially:

We must also be prepared to pause if the data shows that the virus is spreading again.

In other words, if cases rise (of course they will) regardless of whether this would lead to people dying or even ending up in hospital or not, we will not ease restrictions.

We will act decisively to reapply higher levels of restrictions to manage localised outbreaks should the need arise. This could be on a local or regional basis, depending on the nature of the outbreak.

Local lockdowns if cases rise, it’s almost like the vaccine doesn’t work!

from the start of June, we would aim for Scotland to move back to Level 1. This will allow further relaxation across all areas of the economy and society, while still applying physical distancing and other non-pharmaceutical interventions and the FACTS guidance. From the end of June, we hope that we will be able to move to Level 0.

Practically confirming that distancing and masks will continue beyond June in Scotland.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
I don't think that will stop a steady stream of Scottish banknotes being used in Berwick, Carlisle and Newcastle from April 12th! <D

kez19

Established Member
Reading that guidance worries me. Especially:

In other words, if cases rise (of course they will) regardless of whether this would lead to people dying or even ending up in hospital or not, we will not ease restrictions.

Local lockdowns if cases rise, it’s almost like the vaccine doesn’t work!

Practically confirming that distancing and masks will continue beyond June in Scotland.

Also by end of June expect to be level 0, but nothing is mentioned in terms of travelling outwith but bugger that i'm still going to England.

In terms of local lockdowns if cases rise - yes she'll play COVID bingo once more - i'll guess Glasgow will be on the waiting list but if it happens in Aberdeen again expect a whack immediately to lockdown (this can backfire), also I thought that governments were told to stop locking down? (clearly not learning from the past but yes lets keep doing it too), even though its not mentioned but surprised no mention of her daily broadcast still on BBC Scotland

Going back to also as you point out, it seems like the sudden clueless approach in terms of vaccinations - these people were the ones advocating it as a return to normal (or some form) but now I find it they are taking the p..s (which I said elsewhere makes me question it - if vaccinations is the way out why delay or panic?), again I understand people slating the UK government which I totally understand but lets also look at our own home nation(s) approach and question our First Minister (Wales/N Ireland etc), than the usual default Westminster fault.

I don't think that will stop a steady stream of Scottish banknotes being used in Berwick, Carlisle and Newcastle from April 12th! <D

It doesn't stop Blackord either jetting off from Skye to Westminster either!

Journeyman

Established Member
I live in West Lothian, which currently has the highest case numbers in the country. What are the odds I'll be stuck in Tier 4 forever?

devon_metro

Established Member
Also by end of June expect to be level 0, but nothing is mentioned in terms of travelling outwith but bugger that i'm still going to England.

In terms of local lockdowns if cases rise - yes she'll play COVID bingo once more - i'll guess Glasgow will be on the waiting list but if it happens in Aberdeen again expect a whack immediately to lockdown (this can backfire), also I thought that governments were told to stop locking down? (clearly not learning from the past but yes lets keep doing it too), even though its not mentioned but surprised no mention of her daily broadcast still on BBC Scotland

Going back to also as you point out, it seems like the sudden clueless approach in terms of vaccinations - these people were the ones advocating it as a return to normal (or some form) but now I find it they are taking the p..s (which I said elsewhere makes me question it - if vaccinations is the way out why delay or panic?), again I understand people slating the UK government which I totally understand but lets also look at our own home nation(s) approach and question our First Minister (Wales/N Ireland etc), than the usual default Westminster fault.

It doesn't stop Blackord either jetting off from Skye to Westminster either!

She actually announced travel to the rest of the UK would be allowed from 26 April. We've already seen the Scottish Government approach softening due to England opening up. So long as Boris sticks to his guns, Scotland will (frustratingly) only be a few weeks behind. Frankly, people are ignoring the rules, so if England is fully open in June as planned, there will be no chance of the Scottish Government keeping restrictions.

kez19

Established Member
She actually announced travel to the rest of the UK would be allowed from 26 April. We've already seen the Scottish Government approach softening due to England opening up. So long as Boris sticks to his guns, Scotland will (frustratingly) only be a few weeks behind. Frankly, people are ignoring the rules, so if England is fully open in June as planned, there will be no chance of the Scottish Government keeping restrictions.

Thank god for that! I didn’t know it was 26 April I could officially go further afield! Quite happy now if that’s the case but agree with rest!

route101

Established Member
Quite a few people out today enjoying the sunshine. BTP in Glasgow Central just watching.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Quite a few people out today enjoying the sunshine. BTP in Glasgow Central just watching.
I think they would only stop you if you were in a group (probably more than 6, given you’re allowed 4 just now)

fraser158

Am I right in saying that it’s ok to travel by train for “non-essential” purposes as long as you stay within your local authority area?

route101

Established Member
Am I right in saying that it’s ok to travel by train for “non-essential” purposes as long as you stay within your local authority area?
Still essential journeys. Though I have been on a few non essential trips now and had no problems. Judging by my trips, people are making their own judgement now.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Yes - there is nothing in law preventing this. The guidance probably advises against it, but that is not legally binding

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Supposedly 26th April but the arbitrary no alcohol rule still applies, and I think there are severe restrictions on closing times too
10:30 with alcohol outdoors

8:30 without alcohol indoors.

So much for the legal challenge which prevented curfews....

Journeyman

Established Member
I've got a horrible feeling we're going to get a brutally intrusive version of COVID passports too.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
I've got a horrible feeling we're going to get a brutally intrusive version of COVID passports too.
Ditto. I think the Scottish Government are pro-COVID certification, and there is a very good reason why NS is refraining from saying too much at the moment - as it'll affect her party's outcome on May 6th. She was asked numerous times today at the COVID update about them and she just trotted out that there's "equity and equality issues with them that need to be overcome". What she didn't say was how they were looking at overcoming these issues.

Ian Blackford is saying the SNP will vote them through the Commons if/when they get the opportunity. I really wish the SNP at Westminster would abstain from voting on anything which only affects England - it really is none of their business to do otherwise as it won't affect them!

Journeyman

Established Member
Ditto. I think the Scottish Government are pro-COVID certification, and there is a very good reason why NS is refraining from saying too much at the moment - as it'll affect her party's outcome on May 6th. She was asked numerous times today at the COVID update about them and she just trotted out that there's "equity and equality issues with them that need to be overcome". What she didn't say was how they were looking at overcoming these issues.

Ian Blackford is saying the SNP will vote them through the Commons if/when they get the opportunity. I really wish the SNP at Westminster would abstain from voting on anything which only affects England - it really is none of their business to do otherwise as it won't affect them!
Completely agree. If we have to check in with apps that share our details, I'm going to have to think very carefully about how much I want to buy into that. It's a disgusting abuse of civil liberties.

kez19

Established Member

I said this upthread quelle surprise who knew!

scotrail158713

Established Member
Definitely. They seemed to abstain from voting on the renewal of the emergency powers a couple of weeks back, so why get involved now?

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Definitely. They seemed to abstain from voting on the renewal of the emergency powers a couple of weeks back, so why get involved now?
I assume it'd make it easier for them to get it through Holyrood? Or something like that.

However, flip-flop Blackford has now said this morning that the SNP won't be voting for any vaccine passport legislation!

Journeyman

Established Member
I assume it'd make it easier for them to get it through Holyrood? Or something like that.

However, flip-flop Blackford has now said this morning that the SNP won't be voting for any vaccine passport legislation!
That's a relief. It's an absolutely dystopian measure that I expect will get quietly dropped before long.

Butts

Veteran Member
I went to the Barbers yesterday to secure an appointment and was directed straight into an empty chair - result.

"Have you got any appointments tomorrow ? "

"I've got one right know would you like it ?"

Sensible interpretation of the rules in Falkirk.

Status
Not open for further replies.