• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotland - Framework out of the pandemic - 23rd February 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Thought she was being reasonable (lots of changes April 26th) but she's now started talking about numbers of teenagers allowed to meet and the rule of 6 from 3 households in a garden. Shock horror Nicola, people already do this!

10pm curfew. T&T retained. Why??

Better than nothing at least?

I was quite glad to see some dates being announced, particularly the 5th April being a seriously important one. I feel a massive weight off of my shoulders now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Nothing substantial until April 26th basically. I can get a hair cut on April 5th, but still barricaded to my own local authority.

Yay.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Announcements from the First Minister of Scotland (16/03/2021)

Statement will set out next steps out of lockdown and back to normality.

This will set out how and in what order restrictions will be eased, in more detail until mid-May and more broadly after that. Suppression and vaccination must continue at high levels.

597 positive cases reported yesterday. 38% of all tests carried out, up to 210,605. 440 people in hospital (down 7), 42 in ICU (up 2), 7 deaths registered in past 24 hours, up to 7517.

One minute silence to take place next week, on the anniversary of lockdown. We are recording roughly 570 cases per day (7 day rolling average). Cases have fallen sharply since the early part of this year due to lockdown (down from over 1,000 in January). 570 cases per day slightly up on the previous week (from approx. 540). We have no room for complacency, and caution is essential.

All Over-65's vaccinated and a large proportion of the remainder of JCVI 1-9. 1,943,507 first doses given (more than 40% of adult population, up 34,516), around 400,000 to be administered this week and this is hoped to be maintained through April.

Vaccine is having a significant impact on number of deaths, according to NRS, number of deaths has halved in past 2 weeks. A study from PHS has demonstrated that vaccines reduce transmission, this is extremely positive and significant news. This gives us more confidence in our path out of lockdown.

Some changes have already taken place, social gathering restrictions are eased and school return is well underway. After Easter, all children are hoped to be back in school full time.

Some further changes to be made in early April:

Lift the 'stay at home' order on 2nd April. Initially, it will be replaced with 'stay local', do not leave your LA area unless essential for 3 weeks (hoped to be no longer than 3 weeks).

From Monday 5th April: contact sports for 12-17 year olds will be able to resume, and more students (particularly in FE) will be able to return to on-campus learning.

Non-essential retail will start to reopen on this date, click and collect, car showrooms, home centres and garden centres will be opened from this date.

Hairdressers can reopen for appointments from the 5th April.

This is the maximum possible at this stage to be done safely, however we expect that by mid-April, supplies permitting, we will have offered a first dose to all of JCVI 1-9. These account for a significant amount of the adult population, and they are, between them, responsible for around 99% of all deaths.

Restrictions can be eased much more significantly eased from 26th April.

Hoped that all of mainland Scotland will be moved to level 3 from this date.

Travel: from this date, restrictions will be lifted entirely on journeys within mainland Scotland, however it is possible that restrictions to and from the mainland from the islands will potentially remain in place.

Restrictions on journeys from Scotland to the rest of the UK from this date too (hopefully), if not then very soon after this, however reducing the importation of new cases and variants vital.

Update on international travel will be given soon, no earlier than May 17th, due to the state of the pandemic in other countries, and pre and post departure testing is likely to be mandated.

Other changes from 26/4:

All remaining retail premises reopen, all tourist accommodation (subject to any wider hospitality restrictions), libraries, museums and gatherings will reopen, gyms will reopen, work in homes can continue, driving lessons can continue, and wedding, funeral and ceremony to 50 people.

Social gatherings allowed for up to 6 from 3 households, 12-17 year olds will be allowed 6 from 6 households.

Not yet possible to say when it will be possible to allow indoor home visits, although this will be kept under ongoing review.

From this date, hospitality can reopen outdoors (10PM curfew still in place). Potentially able to reopen hospitality indoors (8PM Curfew, No alcohol, track and trace will continue), only allowing 4 from 2 households.

Those who are shielding can return to work or school from this date.

From 17th May:

All level 3 areas (or as many as possible) can move to level 2. More indoor hospitality can reopen as normal, including alcohol and a less strict curfew.

Indoor exercise and outdoor contact sports can restart.

Cinemas, arcades and bingo halls can be permitted from this date.

Indoor and outdoors events can resume with capacity limits.

Uni and college learning can move to blended rather than purely online.

If possible, social gatherings allowed even further and indoor households meetings permitted.

Business support:

More than 3 billion pounds of direct support provided to businesses, 100% rates relief given for retail, hospitality and aviation.

On 22nd march, recipients of support under framework fund will receive a final 4-week payment, and then in April a final 2-week closure support payment will be given.

Hopes and ambitions:

From early June, all of Scotland will move to level 1.

From late June, all of Scotland will move to at least level 0.

These levels involve some restrictions, and it is hoped that we can get even beyond that at some point. It is the hope of NS that vaccines, track and trace and good hand hygiene will allow Covid to be kept under great control and more freedom can be granted in future.

To involve a precise date would involve making it up out of thin air, however NS hopes that it will be possible to set a firmer date by which these things will be possible soon, and NS is optimistic that this can take place over the summer.

Scotrail314209

Established Member

This will set out how and in what order restrictions will be eased, in more detail until mid-May and more broadly after that. Suppression and vaccination must continue at high levels.

597 positive cases reported yesterday. 38% of all tests carried out, up to 210,605. 440 people in hospital (down 7), 42 in ICU (up 2), 7 deaths registered in past 24 hours, up to 7517.

One minute silence to take place next week, on the anniversary of lockdown. We are recording roughly 570 cases per day (7 day rolling average). Cases have fallen sharply since the early part of this year due to lockdown (down from over 1,000 in January). 570 cases per day slightly up on the previous week (from approx. 540). We have no room for complacency, and caution is essential.

All Over-65's vaccinated and a large proportion of the remainder of JCVI 1-9. 1,943,507 first doses given (more than 40% of adult population, up 34,516), around 400,000 to be administered this week and this is hoped to be maintained through April.

Vaccine is having a significant impact on number of deaths, according to NRS, number of deaths has halved in past 2 weeks. A study from PHS has demonstrated that vaccines reduce transmission, this is extremely positive and significant news. This gives us more confidence in our path out of lockdown.

Some changes have already taken place, social gathering restrictions are eased and school return is well underway. After Easter, all children are hoped to be back in school full time.

Lift the 'stay at home' order on 2nd April. Initially, it will be replaced with 'stay local', do not leave your LA area unless essential for 3 weeks (hoped to be no longer than 3 weeks).

From Monday 5th April: contact sports for 12-17 year olds will be able to resume, and more students (particularly in FE) will be able to return to on-campus learning.

Non-essential retail will start to reopen on this date, click and collect, car showrooms, home centres and garden centres will be opened from this date.

This is the maximum possible at this stage to be done safely, however we expect that by mid-April, supplies permitting, we will have offered a first dose to all of JCVI 1-9. These account for a significant amount of the adult population, and they are, between them, responsible for around 99% of all deaths.

Travel: from this date, restrictions will be lifted entirely on journeys within mainland Scotland, however it is possible that restrictions to and from the mainland from the islands will potentially remain in place.

Restrictions on journeys from Scotland to the rest of the UK from this date too (hopefully), if not then very soon after this, however reducing the importation of new cases and variants vital.

Update on international travel will be given soon, no earlier than May 17th, due to the state of the pandemic in other countries, and pre and post departure testing is likely to be mandated.

Other changes from 26/4:

All remaining retail premises reopen, all tourist accommodation (subject to any wider hospitality restrictions), libraries, museums and gatherings will reopen, gyms will reopen, work in homes can continue, driving lessons can continue, and wedding, funeral and ceremony to 50 people.

Social gatherings allowed for up to 6 from 3 households, 12-17 year olds will be allowed 6 from 6 households.

Not yet possible to say when it will be possible to allow indoor home visits, although this will be kept under ongoing review.

From this date, hospitality can reopen outdoors (10PM curfew still in place). Potentially able to reopen hospitality indoors (8PM Curfew, No alcohol, track and trace will continue), only allowing 4 from 2 households.

From 17th May:

All level 3 areas (or as many as possible) can move to level 2. More indoor hospitality can reopen as normal, including alcohol and a less strict curfew.

If possible, social gatherings allowed even further and indoor households meetings permitted.

Business support:

More than 3 billion pounds of direct support provided to businesses, 100% rates relief given for retail, hospitality and aviation.

On 22nd march, recipients of support under framework fund will receive a final 4-week payment, and then in April a final 2-week closure support payment will be given.

Hopes and ambitions:

These levels involve some restrictions, and it is hoped that we can get even beyond that at some point. It is the hope of NS that vaccines, track and trace and good hand hygiene will allow Covid to be kept under great control and more freedom can be granted in future.

To involve a precise date would involve making it up out of thin air, however NS hopes that it will be possible to set a firmer date by which these things will be possible soon, and NS is optimistic that this can take place over the summer.

I'm very happy at all this. I wasn't that optimistic but now I am.

Don't worry everyone! We are halfway through March now, it's not long to go now.

ld0595

Still 2 weeks after England though, exactly as I predicted before!

Glad to see some positive news from the FM though, for once.

joncombe

So will it be legal to cross from England to Scotland from 26th April> I see nothing mentioning any border restrictions at all. They are in place now so I had expected to see some date for the relaxing of this restriction (I appreciate "key workers" can legally cross the border now for business purposes, I am meaning for leisure).

Journeyman

Established Member
Slower than I'd like, but absolutely heading in the right direction, and a lot better than I was hoping.

liam456

Likewise, hoping to be able to use those Leeds tickets I snapped up on a whim. Mental health is on the up!

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Slower than I'd like, but absolutely heading in the right direction, and a lot better than I was hoping.
Ditto. As @Huntergreed said, this seems plausible providing there's no deviation - unless it's hastening the relaxation of course!

Bit disappointed I'm still confined to my local authority for another six weeks though. And the arbitrary hospitality rules which seem to have been plucked out of thin air for no good reason.

So will it be legal to cross from England to Scotland from 26th April> I see nothing mentioning any border restrictions at all. They are in place now so I had expected to see some date for the relaxing of this restriction (I appreciate "key workers" can legally cross the border now for business purposes, I am meaning for leisure).

That is the stated intent -either 26th April to match the removal of internal travel restrictions on the Scottish mainland or very soon afterwards.
I think they will want to relax both on the same day unless there has been a significant rise in infections south of the border - they've just left themselves a bit of wiggle room there.

scotrail158713

Established Member
These are definitely welcome changes. Let’s not kid ourselves though - the change from “Stay at Home” to “Stay Local” is no change at all. On the whole I’m feeling happy with them though.

nlogax

Established Member
Remember when England came out of lockdown last summer and the stories of thirsty Scots heading to pubs in Carlisle on the first trains south? I see an opportunity opening up for Scottish barbers and hairdressers..

devon_metro

Established Member

Yes based on her statement, you'll be able to travel to England for an indoor pint from mid-May. But will need to wait a few extra weeks in Scotland. Logical of course. But quite positive by Sturgeon standards.

I was bit surprised (and pleased) to see events (indoors and out) indicated from mid-May, didn't expect much of that before mid-June until any impact of opening retail, hospitality could be assesed

I suspect there will be a bit of devil-in-the-detail regarding restrictions on numbers, distancing etc for hospitality, events, theatre etc. It's one thing to be allowed to open and another being financially viable under any restrictions imposed.

What it does give me a lot of hope for is being able to plan with some certaincy for shows from August onwards. The Edinburgh Festival and Fringe is still on a very shoogly peg but it looks like at least something can happen.
I usually look after a string of amateur shows through the autumn season up to pantotime, this is also looking a lot more viable and secure now which means I will hopefully still have a functioning business come next year

duncanp

Established Member
Yes based on her statement, you'll be able to travel to England for an indoor pint from mid-May. But will need to wait a few extra weeks in Scotland. Logical of course. But quite positive by Sturgeon standards.

And I am sure that everyone in Scotland is going to be good, and do what Nicola Sturgeon wants, and not travel to England for an outdoor pint from 12th April.

No doubt they will ignore the fact that the Wetherspoons in Carlisle, less than 5 minutes from the railway station, has a licensed outdoor area, as indeed does the Gretna Chase Hotel, which being on the South bank of the River Sark is just on the English side of the border. <D

kristiang85

Established Member
What is the point of opening a pub without alcohol? It's basically announcing opening pubs without actually opening them, as landlords just won't see it as viable to do so.

kez19

Established Member
Thought she was being reasonable (lots of changes April 26th) but she's now started talking about numbers of teenagers allowed to meet and the rule of 6 from 3 households in a garden. Shock horror Nicola, people already do this!

10pm curfew. T&T retained. Why??

Curfew for what? Has she forgotten people work nights?

kez19

Established Member
Hospitality curfew (apologies if I didn’t make it clear).

No need to apologise for a minute when I read that I thought Scotland became NK 2! lol

Other changes from 26/4:

From 17th May:

Business support:

Hopes and ambitions:

It reads to me in short all well and good but just add between at least 2-4 weeks behind England as previously, the giveaway for me was the gym.

duncanp

Established Member
It reads to me in short all well and good but just add between at least 2-4 weeks behind England as previously, the giveaway for me was the gym.

And what would Nicola Sturgeon do in the event of Boris Johnson bringing forward some of the reopening dates in England, particularly the 17th May date for indoor hospitality?

There is an chance that this could happen, as the vaccination program is about two weeks ahead of target at the moment. Some pubs in England are putting themselves in a position where they can reopen earlier than 17th May, if allowed.

kez19

Established Member
And what would Nicola Sturgeon do in the event of Boris Johnson bringing forward some of the reopening dates in England, particularly the 17th May date for indoor hospitality?

There is an chance that this could happen, as the vaccination program is about two weeks ahead of target at the moment. Some pubs in England are putting themselves in a position where they can reopen earlier than 17th May, if allowed.

I’ll guess move it forward directly with Boris or delay by a week or few days.

What is the point of opening a pub without alcohol? It's basically announcing opening pubs without actually opening them, as landlords just won't see it as viable to do so.

I agree on this in terms of no alcohol, unless plan is phase it in by a week or 2?

It allows food service - it won't help wet-led pubs but will let a lot of premises reopen
Note that the no-alcohol restriction is or indoors only and only lasts 3 weeks. Alcohol can be served outdoors from the 26th April and indoors from 17th May

Scotrail314209

Established Member
It allows food service - it won't help wet-led pubs but will let a lot of premises reopen
Note that the no-alcohol restriction is or indoors only and only lasts 3 weeks. Alcohol can be served outdoors from the 26th April and indoors from 17th May

Exactly.

26th April is the day for most of hospitality to open up, Alcohol is permitted. (YAY)

scotrail158713

Established Member
I notice that contact sport for over 18s is still not allowed until 17th May. Whilst today was generally positive, this was one announcement that really frustrated me. By that time it will have been allowed down south for 7 weeks, so why is it being held up up here?

devon_metro

Established Member

Only with a meal indoors. I think going down to the pub just for a pint will be in June, based on what she said earlier. She mentioned a modified level system, but didn't give any detail on it. Still, unlike England, she gave no indication of when nightclubs might be viable, because level 0 is still quite restrictive. Her tone indicated we should be greatful if we ever get past that stage!

takno

Established Member
What on earth is wrong with you all? This is a dismal package - slower than England in spite of a several weeks of progress since England's announcement, clear statement of needless measures carrying on over the summer, curfews and alcohol bans which have been shown to be pointless.

It's literally the minimum she could have announced without being disowned by her own party

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
What on earth is wrong with you all? This is a dismal package - slower than England in spite of a several weeks of progress since England's announcement, clear statement of needless measures carrying on over the summer, curfews and alcohol bans which have been shown to be pointless.

It's literally the minimum she could have announced without being disowned by her own party
Indeed it's not great, however when that border reopens I'll be making the most of whichever side has less restrictions at that point.

kez19

Established Member

We have to give our great leader some courage ... all hail.... on second thoughts lol.... Why can it never been timed with England beats me but this has always happened though be 2-4 weeks behind i'm not surprised in that department.

Status
Not open for further replies.