• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotland - Framework out of the pandemic - 23rd February 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

liam456

Glasgow remaining in Level 3
Moray moving down to Level 2
East Renfrewshire remaining in Level 2.
Thanks for the update. Shame Glasgow is still considered Scotland's plague pit. Good thing they didn't wait until the afternoon either!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

devon_metro

Established Member
Travel is also to be banned, from Monday, between Scotland and Blackburn with Darwin, Bolton and Bedford

Considering it is legal to travel to England and the SNP Government has no jurisdiction over England, I fail to see how this is enforceable. I could legally travel from Scotland to Manchester. I could then legally travel from Manchester to Bolton.

takno

Established Member
Considering it is legal to travel to England and the SNP Government has no jurisdiction over England, I fail to see how this is enforceable. I could legally travel from Scotland to Manchester. I could then legally travel from Manchester to Bolton.
As with so much of this stuff, it's not designed to survive a court-case, just to scare people

Butts

Veteran Member
Who would travel to Blackburn anyway. Doesn’t give me much hope for June when i’ve got a trip to London booked.

Absolute ****e....someone needs a reality check.

I've been to Birmingham down to London and now up to Newcastle this week.

The genie is out of the bottle and it's not going back anytime soon.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Absolute ****e....someone needs a reality check.

I've been to Birmingham down to London and now up to Newcastle this week.

The genie is out of the bottle and it's not going back anytime soon.
It's got me worried because I've spent well over £200 on travel and hotels, and I'll be absolutely furious if I've got to cancel it.

It's three weeks away so hopefully not much will change.

What has got me wondering if the Government have approved the travel restriction between Scotland and some parts of England. I'm curious as to how the enforcement will work.

devon_metro

Established Member
What has got me wondering if the Government have approved the travel restriction between Scotland and some parts of England. I'm curious as to how the enforcement will work.

It won't. Like how many of the other rules are being ignored with zero consequences.

takno

Established Member
I'm talking if within the next 3 weeks that Westminster and Holyrood agree on a travel ban that can be enforced.
Highly unlikely that Westminster will be interested in that. If anything Boris is more likely to announce that Sturgeon has been told to get back in her box.

brad465

Established Member
Shows how Sturgeon is prepared to throw her core supporters under a bus once the election she needs their support in is over.

route101

Established Member
It's got me worried because I've spent well over £200 on travel and hotels, and I'll be absolutely furious if I've got to cancel it.

It's three weeks away so hopefully not much will change.

It wont be enforced. Tomorrow I will be crossing into Glasgow, feels silly to talk about council boundaries as borders.

devon_metro

Established Member
I'm talking if within the next 3 weeks that Westminster and Holyrood agree on a travel ban that can be enforced.

This would be a completely out of proportion response. Data from England is showing that the Indian variant is not necessarily more transmissible than other variants. Given the vaccinations, the level of hospitalisation is going to remain very low despite Sturgeon's suggestion today that it "might" lead to the NHS being under pressure. It's scaremongering and a lot of her supporters lap it up. The Scottish Government advisers will continue to push for zero COVID, but if England moves to the next stage on 21 June, any restrictions in Scotland are just going to look ridiculous. The rhetoric in the last few days is that 21 June remains on. Scotland is likely to be more susceptible to higher cases because the level of antibodies is lower than England, largely due to lower infection rates in the previous waves and in some areas, considerably stricter rules. Glasgow pubs have been shut since October! Pandemic is over, vaccines work!

Scotrail314209

Established Member
This would be a completely out of proportion response. Data from England is showing that the Indian variant is not necessarily more transmissible than other variants. Given the vaccinations, the level of hospitalisation is going to remain very low despite Sturgeon's suggestion today that it "might" lead to the NHS being under pressure. It's scaremongering and a lot of her supporters lap it up. The Scottish Government advisers will continue to push for zero COVID, but if England moves to the next stage on 21 June, any restrictions in Scotland are just going to look ridiculous. The rhetoric in the last few days is that 21 June remains on. Scotland is likely to be more susceptible to higher cases because the level of antibodies is lower than England, largely due to lower infection rates in the previous waves and in some areas, considerably stricter rules. Glasgow pubs have been shut since October! Pandemic is over, vaccines work!
That's true

The main thing I'm seeing is that cases are increasing but hospitalization and deaths are decreasing, as well as less people being in ICU. Imo they should be focusing on hospitalization and deaths.

scotrail158713

Established Member

That's true

The main thing I'm seeing is that cases are increasing but hospitalization and deaths are decreasing, as well as less people being in ICU. Imo they should be focusing on hospitalization and deaths.
I agree with all of this

scotrail158713

Established Member
I see football fans are getting told to not gather ahead of the Scottish Cup final tomorrow. I presume, since this is due to current restrictions, all other planned gatherings coming up will get the same advice. ;)
Hibernian and St Johnstone have urged their fans to abide by government restrictions and not gather in large groups for the Scottish Cup final.

Saturday's showpiece will be held at an empty Hampden after plans to allow a small crowd were shelved when Glasgow remained in level three of lockdown.
The final comes a week after Rangers fans' title celebrations caused disorder in Glasgow city centre.

Police Scotland has warned both sets of fans to avoid mass gatherings.
In a letter to Hibs fans, the club's owner Ron Gordon wrote: "Please cheer the team on, but do it with your friends and family and within government restrictions that are there to protect us all.

"Let's not be part of anything that risks the progress made in tackling the pandemic."

Larges gatherings are forbidden under the Scottish government's current Covid-19 restrictions, with all of mainland Scotland in level two bar Glasgow and Moray.

In a message to St Johnstone supporters, chairman Steve Brown said: "It's vital for the health and wellbeing of all that fans should not gather in large groups and that everyone sticks to the regulations to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

"Physical distancing must be maintained between members of different households if watching the game in a hospitality setting.

"Also, if watching the game at home with friends, you must do so in accordance with the regulations [six people from three households indoors]."

Police Scotland described the scenes in Glasgow last weekend as "disgraceful", and has echoed the cup finalists' appeal for supporters to adhere to regulations.

"It is vitally important that both sets of fans avoid gathering in large groups," said assistant chief constable Alan Speirs.

"Our approach throughout the pandemic has been to engage with the public, explain the legislation and encourage compliance, but officers will not hesitate to use enforcement powers as a last resort."

johnnychips

Established Member
Just read all of the above: oh dear, i thought Boris was bad. Do real Scottish people believe this?

Also, I’m not a football fan. Where are St Johnstone and Hibernian?

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Just read all of the above: oh dear, i thought Boris was bad. Do real Scottish people believe this?

Also, I’m not a football fan. Where are St Johnstone and Hibernian?
Perth (formerly St John's Toun) and Edinburgh (technically Leith), respectively.

johnnychips

Established Member
Cheers for that. So couldn’t they play the game somewhere neutral like Stirling? But my knowledge of Scottish football grounds is lacking.

Journeyman

Established Member
Cheers for that. So couldn’t they play the game somewhere neutral like Stirling? But my knowledge of Scottish football grounds is lacking.
It's being played at Hampden Park in Glasgow, effectively the equivalent of Wembley.

johnnychips

Established Member
But isn’t that in a higher level of restrictions? I just wondered if there was someherevtheycould play that wasn’t?

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Isn't it rare to get a Scottish cup final that has neither of the big Glasgow teams in it?

Red Onion

I Just looked back at the stats and between seasons 09/10 and 15/16, out of the 7 finals, 5 were without the old firm. Two featured Celtic, who won. They have also won every final since. Rangers haven’t featured in a final since 08/09 (which they won).

Beyond that, it’s very rare to find a final without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.