• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail 380’s first class?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig2601

Heard that a 380 has been given a new first class section and after a bit of research (Wikipedia:lol:) seen that it had a route of Glasgow/Edinburgh-Carlisle. Does have anything to do with it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
According to this poster it does:
only 2 380/1s will have the temporary first class areas. 380 102 is one of them. Having been on it since it's "upgrade" I'd say it's a poor attempt and will not be well received by first class ticket holders come 10th December.

Starmill

Veteran Member
The only route with first class that they could be used on is Edinburgh <> Glasgow Queen Street.

It seems they will be running from 10th Dec. Probably in 7 car formations?

I don't have a picture, but essentially it's subtly different seat moquettes with leather or leatherette around the edges with First Class stickers plastered everywhere. It's a very laughable set up and three no partitions either. The 8 seats behind the driver and not even a quarter of the main saloon have this First Class area.

class387

Established Member
I don't have a picture, but essentially it's subtly different seat moquettes with leather or leatherette around the edges with First Class stickers plastered everywhere. It's a very laughable set up and three no partitions either. The 8 seats behind the driver and not even a quarter of the main saloon have this First Class area.
If you think this is laughable don't try Southern first class. There is no different moquette or leather or signage or partition at all. This seems like a decent effort for a temporary job, but I need to see pictures until I can make a full decision.

superalbs

Established Member
If there's no partition and it's in the same saloon area, and looks identical to standard, will it even be enforceable?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Considering that Scotrail use standard class only 170s on the odd Edinburgh/Glasgow service why are they bothering. Advertise it in advance at the station as being "Standard Class Only" so if any First Class ticket holders do board they can get a refund to the standard class fare, or wait 15 minutes for a 170 with that little private area.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Considering that Scotrail use standard class only 170s on the odd Edinburgh/Glasgow service why are they bothering. Advertise it in advance at the station as being "Standard Class Only" so if any First Class ticket holders do board they can get a refund to the standard class fare, or wait 15 minutes for a 170 with that little private area.

9 times out of 10 the 170's that are on it do have First Class. If it's the case where its a 6 car formation then it's usually the front 3 or rear 3 that has First Class seating. You'd be amazed how many business bods use First Class in the early morning peak...

route101

Established Member
Only time ive used Scotrail First Class is when ive had a 1st Advance to Newcastle . Was on a Aberdeen service which was standard only last weekend , was very crowded and HSTs cant come soon enough .

jopsuk

Veteran Member
If there's no partition and it's in the same saloon area, and looks identical to standard, will it even be enforceable?
Yes. Whilst obviously the justice systems are separate there are plenty of cases involving, eg, Southern to call upon

superalbs

Established Member
Yes. Whilst obviously the justice systems are separate there are plenty of cases involving, eg, Southern to call upon
How will passengers even be able to tell though? I've seen a picture, and the only thing identifying it as such is a piece of paper stuck to the window.

What routes will the first class be used on?

Queen Street to Edinburgh Waverly.

The only route with first class that they could be used on is Edinburgh <> Glasgow Queen Street.

It seems they will be running from 10th Dec. Probably in 7 car formations?

There will be 2 x 7 car 380 sets running from the 10th December on the E-G route. There will be no other EMUs on this route until around March 2018 when they hope to have enough 385s delivered to start running a full service with them.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Grammer E3000s with antimacassars will be more comfortable than the Class 800 Standard Class style rubbish that's going in the 385s.

Yes but at least on those trains if you pay extra you get a nicer seat than Standard so it is actually worth paying for - here there is just no point - it’s the Southern/Southeastern situation all over again!

route101

Established Member
Im more interested thats its a rare chance to get a 380 out of Queen St .

Seems like the fitment of "1st class" seat covers and 1st class signage on the 380/1 units destined for the E-G was a waste of time and money. Scotrail have announced the withdrawal of 1st class on the E-G services from 10th December until the 385s can run a full service. No idea how to put links on here, but the info should be available on the ScotRail website.

superalbs

Established Member
Seems like the fitment of "1st class" seat covers and 1st class signage on the 380/1 units destined for the E-G was a waste of time and money. Scotrail have announced the withdrawal of 1st class on the E-G services from 10th December until the 385s can run a full service. No idea how to put links on here, but the info should be available on the ScotRail website.

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/about-sc...nburgh-glasgow-falkirk-high-route-10-december
ScotRail said:
We are now entering the final stage of testing ahead of the introduction of our brand new Hitachi electric trains.

When we have these in service, people who travel between Glasgow and Edinburgh will have more seats than ever before, benefit from faster journeys and will have access to great facilities like free enhanced WiFi and at seat power points.

However, while we go through this final stage of testing, we are having to make some changes.

We are shifting around some of our fleet across the network, which means that our ability to offer up first class carriages on the Edinburgh to Glasgow via Falkirk route is going to be significantly diminished. We have taken the decision that it is better to remove first class completely during this period than only offer it on a relatively small number of services.

ScotRail Alliance communications director Rob Shorthouse said:

"We think that this gives customers greater certainty about their journey while we go through this period of change. The removal of our first class offering will commence on Sunday, 10 December and will continue into the new year.

"As soon as we get the new trains in service, not only will the first class service be reinstated, it will be vastly upgraded. The new trains really are a leap forward in all regards, but the first class carriage is particularly special."

Lol, nothing special about awful Fainsa seating. :/

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
but the first class carriage is particularly special

Bwahahahahahaha...etc! It's particularly special - if you consider really hard Standard Class seats contoured to the back length of your average 12 year old to be particularly special it is.

It's rubbish. That's what it is.

It is at least 2+1, but the seats are completely unsuitable, and a massive step back from the very comfortable ones on the 170s.

superalbs

Established Member
Bwahahahahahaha...etc! It's particularly special - if you consider really hard Standard Class seats contoured to the back length of your average 12 year old to be particularly special it is.

It's rubbish. That's what it is.

It is at least 2+1, but the seats are completely unsuitable, and a massive step back from the very comfortable ones on the 170s.
Whoever typed that must have just seen a pic of upcoming HST First Class, and assumed that was what they're getting. :lol:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Whoever typed that must have just seen a pic of upcoming HST First Class, and assumed that was what they're getting. :lol:

:)

The 1st seats are the same as the Class 800 Standard seats but with a second centre armrest and leather, in 2+1 formation.

As for the Class 800 seats, Paddington to Reading was enough to give me backache; they are contoured to fit people under about 5' 6". I'd pay extra to sit in Standard.

387star

On Moderation
The gatwick express first class seats are 'particularly special' ... express class!

'First is identified by First on the doors First on the windows and First on the seats..'

ld0595

When do they expect the 385s can run a full service then? I've not really been keeping up with the test schedule lately - all I know it that it's constantly falling behind...!

Established Member
Dear God, what a shambles. The situation is bad enough but that statement reads like a 12 year old came up with it. I'd been more or less neutral on Abellio until now...

But presumably this means that if I'm travelling between Glasgow and Edinburgh on a 170 I can make a bee line to one of the First Class hutches with a Standard Class ticket?

It might also mean that they concentrate their Standard only units on this route rather than sending them to Inverness constantly. LOL.

When do they expect the 385s can run a full service then? I've not really been keeping up with the test schedule lately - all I know it that it's constantly falling behind...!

They keep mentioning March 2018 begore they have enough 385s available to take over full E-G diagrams from 170s. Wouodnt hold your breath though!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I take it this means the two First Class-fitted 380s now have no real purpose and will have it removed soon then? Also, that any First Class-fitted 170 on an E-G working is thus declassified as well?

Harvey10

Can I ask does anybody know what the diagrams will be for the 380s into Glasgow?

Established Member
Can I ask does anybody know what the diagrams will be for the 380s into Glasgow?
If they're declassifying everything then it looks like they don't have a clue which services will be 380s.

Why not run the route with 314s and totally max out on the **** service?

Status
Not open for further replies.