• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail Conductor applicants

Trader

Hey,

I've been invited for the interview, and then it's just a medical.

Could someone please tell me what sort of questions I will be asked, etc?

Much appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lxfe_mxtterz

Although I had mine with a different train operator, I would expect it would be similar at ScotRail…

Mine was split into three parts.

The first few questions were just the generic:
- Why do you want to work here?
- What do you know about the company?
- What do you know about the role of the guard/conductor?
etc.

The next part was the dreaded "STAR" questions, such as:
- Describe a time when you've shown excellent customer service / handled a conflict / etc.

The final part was some scenario-based questions - things like:
- You are working the last train out of London on a Saturday evening. There are a group of drunk football fans harassing other passengers. What do you do?

Take your time to think through each question, and have some examples prepared the night before.

Just remember the priorities, in order:
1. Safety
2. Punctuality
3. Customer service

Try to work "safety" into every answer you give - that's what helped me!

Wishing you the best of luck. :)

Pcb1980

Hi does anyone know how long the glasgow section of training lasts?
Cheers

Buiadh

3 weeks in the training centre

Have you had an interview with them recently for the position?

Pcb1980

Cheers

No not yet still waiting from march to hear. And yesterday's application haha

You?

Buiadh

Ah ok. I had an interview for conductor last week but haven't heard back yet, then I saw that they have readvertised it. Does it mean they're hiring more or did I not get the job!? Haha

Metric

Ah ok. I had an interview for conductor last week but haven't heard back yet, then I saw that they have readvertised it. Does it mean they're hiring more or did I not get the job!? Haha
They have a massive hiring campaign, loads and loads of new conductors coming onboard.

zilmed

Hi, has anybody recently applied for Scotrail conductor?

I've only done one customer service assessment online, I haven't heard anything back although it's only been a couple of days.

I wonder what the whole process looks like and what are the time lines of hearing back after each assessment? I imagine there are several.

Thanks!!

winks

What is the correct answer for the “football question” ?

One guard vs a group of loud football fans. Perhaps have a word with them …?

zilmed

What is the correct answer for the “football question” ?

One guard vs a group of loud football fans. Perhaps have a word with them …?
Hey, is it online assessments? I just did one that's a customer service one on Friday and not heard back yet. Do you know what the timeliness are for assessments to be processed?

I'm not sure about the official answer to your question but I have been working as a train guard for 4 years now and I would chat to them first, ideally have your body cam to record. If no change, and you think it's getting out of hand, move other passengers to a different carriage, don't get involved in any fights etc, call BTP. In ideal world they would meet you at the next staition.

winks

Unfortunately I don’t work for ScotRail so don’t know the process.

p.d87

I completed the online assessment and was invited to attend the assessment day in Glasgow.

Unfortunately I couldn't get out of work to attend so emailed numerous times to the recruiter as well as calls but had no reply to any. This was 2 weeks ago.

Quite a poor show of communication on their part so I am hoping I still get a chance to attend at a later date when they finally reply.

zilmed

I completed the online assessment and was invited to attend the assessment day in Glasgow.

Unfortunately I couldn't get out of work to attend so emailed numerous times to the recruiter as well as calls but had no reply to any. This was 2 weeks ago.

Quite a poor show of communication on their part so I am hoping I still get a chance to attend at a later date when they finally reply.
I have just got a link to book an assessment but when I go on the page, it says there are no more available assessments

robbierugby

I've booked my assessment but they said they'd email me a practice booklet separately and it hasn't arrived. Anyone got one?

zilmed

I've booked my assessment but they said they'd email me a practice booklet separately and it hasn't arrived. Anyone got one?
I have it, I can forward

When did you book, today? Wonder if the link only godly work for me

p.d87

I was given a date to attend. Not a Iink to book a date. I did receive the practice papers in a separate email

robbierugby

Ah right is yours for conductor as well? Which station? Do you think you could send me the practice papers? Still haven't got mine itching to get started.

p.d87

Ah right is yours for conductor as well? Which station? Do you think you could send me the practice papers? Still haven't got mine itching to get started.
Yes, it's for Conductor. Check your spam emails also it may be in there. Both practice papers and invite were sent to me at the same time, just in separate emails