• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Finished or not, scotrail are tweeting that it opens this weekend
Think they would need quite a number of staff there Day and Night and still not get the completion certificate.

They are using a couple of the stabling roads. However buildings need completed. With fueling and cleaning yet to be complete.

kkong

What has been going on at Cadder? There seems to have been construction activity ongoing at the site for a long time. Wondering why it is not complete yet?

Covid can only be used so far as an excuse... lots of other industries manage to build things in far less time than the railways seems to manage.

alangla

I was wondering why the odd HST set was ending up in the Dundee carriage sidings.
I take it they’re still cold starting them when they’re parked there?
Did they eventually get shore supplies installed at the other stabling locations?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I take it they’re still cold starting them when they’re parked there?
Did they eventually get shore supplies installed at the other stabling locations?
I thought practice was to leave one power car idling when no shore supply was available on MTU PCs?

What has been going on at Cadder? There seems to have been construction activity ongoing at the site for a long time. Wondering why it is not complete yet?

Covid can only be used so far as an excuse... lots of other industries manage to build things in far less time than the railways seems to manage.
Is this what you mean
ScotRail Press Release:
https://www.scotrail.co.uk/about-scotrail/news/scotland’s-railway-opens-£33million-servicing-depot
Scotland’s Railway is continuing ‘Fit For The Future’ investments with the opening on Sunday (12 December) of a new engineering depot at Cadder, near Glasgow.

Located between Bishopbriggs and Lenzie on the Edinburgh & Glasgow line, Cadder was quickly identified as the ideal location to accommodate up to six High Speed Trains (HSTs) due to its accessibility to Glasgow Queen Street and Edinburgh Waverley stations where more than 80% of Inter7City services start or finish.

The size of the site means the yard can be expanded if extra space is needed to accommodate more rolling stock in the future.

The £33million investment was managed by Network Rail and paid for by Transport Scotland. Going forward, it will be operated by ScotRail on behalf of the rail network.

Last edited by a moderator:

InvHst

Both power cars can be accommodated at every station they normally serve except Invergowrie I think?
On this Newtonmore is a problem
Blair Atholl is also one due to the powecar stopping positions
Dalwhinnie heading south is another and thats a 4 car issue as well.

A 5 car made it in service today on 1h51 the 1209 ex Glasgow for Inverness so thats the first service one to serve the Highlands

Abc100

Anyone know if there’s a major problem with HST working today? Every single train from Aberdeen to Glasgow/Edinburgh is running as a shortened diesel unit today, with not a single HST in service despite running a Normal Monday timetable. Not seen that since prior to the first HST introduction two years ago.

Anyone know if there’s a major problem with HST working today? Every single train from Aberdeen to Glasgow/Edinburgh is running as a shortened diesel unit today, with not a single HST in service despite running a Normal Monday timetable. Not seen that since prior to the first HST introduction two years ago.

Can't answer that although I was looking at the Highland Mainline yesterday (as I'm up in Perth over New Year with the family) to see if there was any cheapish way of going Carrbridge on the Sunday. It was more than 2 1/2 times the cost of driving so left it, although noticed both the trains I'd looked at giving 4 hours up there had been hst booked turns but were both units (different diagrams too), so I expect sets are all out of position from Xmas/New Year period or there's availability issues. The morning hst off Inverness was on its booked diagram according to RTT.

Abc100

Can't answer that although I was looking at the Highland Mainline yesterday (as I'm up in Perth over New Year with the family) to see if there was any cheapish way of going Carrbridge on the Sunday. It was more than 2 1/2 times the cost of driving so left it, although noticed both the trains I'd looked at giving 4 hours up there had been hst booked turns but were both units (different diagrams too), so I expect sets are all out of position from Xmas/New Year period or there's availability issues. The morning hst off Inverness was on its booked diagram according to RTT.
I’ve messaged scotrail and they’re refusing to state a reason and don’t think it’s an issue despite cancelling seat reservations and putting on a much lower capacity train for every single Aberdeen to central belt service today!

I’ve messaged scotrail and they’re refusing to state a reason and don’t think it’s an issue despite cancelling seat reservations and putting on a much lower capacity train for every single Aberdeen to central belt service today!
No doubt has a lot to do with training of staff on HST's. There are many Scot-Rail staff absences due to Covid. In excess of 100 staff. With a revised timetable starting from tomorrow.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Can see that. The 0742 ex Queen Street to Aberdeen is a 158

Not ideal at all.

Surely there can’t be that many trained HST crews isolating?

Abc100

Current thread on BBC News says hundreds of staff missing due to Covid.
Lots of staff off, but it’s the same number of staff to run a HST as a 158/170. Although appreciate training, is the absence enough to cancel every single HST service (hourly) from Aberdeen to central belt?
From travel this morning, it appears that they’re using the units spared by cancelled local services in central belt for the intercity work - for example the one I’m cramped onto doesn’t even have luggage racks or power

JamesT

Established Member
I think I saw a HST going North just now. I'm on a LNER going South from Kirkcaldy.

XAM2175

Established Member
Lots of staff off, but it’s the same number of staff to run a HST as a 158/170.
The staff available may be qualified to operate 158s and/or 170s, but not HSTs. You can't take an absolute position on possibilities without considering competency.

Randomer

The staff available may be qualified to operate 158s and/or 170s, but not HSTs. You can't take an absolute position on possibilities without considering competency.
Or they can't predict the absences of staff competent on HST but presumably do know that everyone on the route does sign 158/170 so don't run the risk of a HST getting "stuck" somewhere with no crew available who sign it.

marks87

Established Member
Lots of staff off, but it’s the same number of staff to run a HST as a 158/170. Although appreciate training, is the absence enough to cancel every single HST service (hourly) from Aberdeen to central belt?
From travel this morning, it appears that they’re using the units spared by cancelled local services in central belt for the intercity work - for example the one I’m cramped onto doesn’t even have luggage racks or power
Surely the bulk of cancelled Central Belt services are on electrified routes?

Lots of units left for fife and local services from Edinburgh. Also a number of routes out of Glasgow
According to the lunchtime news, there are 120 drivers and 70 conductors missing today. With many more staff with Covid related problems. So it's hardly surprising that services are distrupted.

People should of course be working from home to comply with the current restrictions.

Today is still a Bank Holiday in Scotland too.

InOban

Established Member
Actually since the 1st was a Saturday, it's a Bank Holiday everywhere. It's tomorrow which is a BH in Scotland .

There were reports that scotrail were operating RRBs to Fife because of the level of staff absence yesterday.

najaB

Veteran Member
Both power cars can be accommodated at every station they normally serve except Invergowrie I think?
I guess it depends on what you mean by "normally" but I happened to catch a southbound 2+5 set from Broughty Ferry today (booked call) and neither power car was on the platform, the rear power car was almost fouling the level crossing! In fact, the first class carriage was completely off the platform as well so it was local door operation only.

XAM2175

Established Member
Or they can't predict the absences of staff competent on HST but presumably do know that everyone on the route does sign 158/170 so don't run the risk of a HST getting "stuck" somewhere with no crew available who sign it.
Yes, good point.

lachlan

I guess it depends on what you mean by "normally" but I happened to catch a southbound 2+5 set from Broughty Ferry today (booked call) and neither power car was on the platform, the rear power car was almost fouling the level crossing! In fact, the first class carriage was completely off the platform as well so it was local door operation only.
At Portlethen they only use one door. Most intercity services don't call there.

Abc100

Looks like there may only be about 2 (?) HST sets out today as vast majority of abd/Inv services are 170/158 operated - are there further issues with the fleet preventing use?

Looks like there may only be about 2 (?) HST sets out today as vast majority of abd/Inv services are 170/158 operated - are there further issues with the fleet preventing use?

There are five (5) HST sets out working today. There are currently availability issues with the fleet of which my employer's social media policies prevent me from sharing.

Of quick note RTT summer timetable showing something more similar to the December 2019 timetables on IC routes. Virtually every train now has HST schedules from Aberdeen to Edinburgh/Glasgow with a small number of exceptions to balance the fleet. Most trains via Elgin still timed as units and barely any extras on the Highland Mainline, although the first southbound via Aviemore and an extra service North in the evening on HST schedules. Of course 3 n' a bit months is a lot of time for further changes looking at recent events so I'm not suggesting it's gospel but may show the latest plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.