• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail - Trainee Driver - Various (March 24)

FuelledByTea

Not got long to apply…

TRAINEE TRAIN DRIVERS: SCOTLAND
FULL-TIME PERMANENT
Salary information:
Trainee: £33,282 per annum
Newly Qualified Driver: £46,264 per annum
Newly Qualified Driver (6 months): £49,411 per annum
Newly Qualified Driver (9 months): £53,067 per annum
Driver: £58,581 per annum

Working for ScotRail
With more than 5,000 employees, ScotRail plays a vital role in serving the people and communities of Scotland. We recognise a modern and diverse workforce, encouraged to use their talents, and develop their skills, is integral to our success in serving and reflecting the communities of Scotland. We are committed to being a diverse and inclusive employer and have also set ourselves ambitious sustainability targets including having a carbon-free railway in Scotland by 2035.
ScotRail is four times accredited as a Top Employer, has achieved Leaders in Diversity and is a Disability Confident Employer. We value, celebrate, and respect the diversity our people and aim to inspire, attract, retain, and develop the best talent. Because we value diversity and the benefits it brings, we want to continue improving the diversity of our people and particularly welcome applications from women, young people, LGBT+ people, people with a disability, and people from ethnically diverse backgrounds.

Job Overview
Come on board for a career where you’ll look forward to coming to work every day. This is an exciting chance to embark on a new and interesting career with great prospects and benefits.
As a driver with ScotRail, you could be travelling along some of the most scenic rail routes in the world, doing the important job of transporting and connecting the people of Scotland.
All we ask is that you’re keen to learn, can stay calm under pressure and will always maintain the highest levels of safety. If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you. Train driving could be your perfect career!

Being a train driver with ScotRail
Train drivers are at the heart of ScotRail, making sure our customers get to where they need to be safely, comfortably and on time. Driving a train comes with a lot of responsibility and being able to work alone, concentrate for long periods of time and follow strict protocol are essential. It’s also a very rewarding job – our drivers play a key role in building the future of Scotland’s Railway with their professionalism, excellent customer service skills and dedication to ensuring their services run safely and on time.
Our customers have busy lives, so we need to be there for them when they need us; from the early hours of the morning until late at night, seven days a week. That’s why, as a train driver, you’ll need to be happy working a variety of shifts over seven days.
All new drivers take part in a training programme that could last between 18 and 24 months, involving practical training, classroom learning and training in our new train simulators. Once you’re qualified, you’ll be expected to carry on learning with continuous professional development. We'll give you the support you need to progress your career and grow your skills.
What are we looking for?
You must be over 21 years old (you can start training at 20)
Be able to pass a safety critical medical examination including eyesight, hearing, colour vision tests and drugs/alcohol screening
A good communicator.
Enthusiasm, a positive approach and an ability to stay focused.
Good problem solving.
Experience working in an equally responsible role where safety is paramount.
A flexible approach is vital as shift and weekend working will be required.
Ideally (but not essential) you will hold a current (car) driving licence.
There are a few stages to the application process.
  • As part of the recruitment process your details will be shared with a third-party provider – OPC in order to be sent the initial screening questionnaire.
  • Short-listed candidates will be invited to attend psychometric assessment, this could be on two separate occasions. You may be asked to attend these days at short notice. This assessment will be held in Glasgow.
  • Competency based interview.
  • Medical examination including drugs/alcohol screening.
  • Successful candidates will be asked to submit satisfactory reference, Disclosure Scotland and complete a six-month probation period.
  • The stages above will ensure that we get the right people into our driving seats.
As well as offering a starting salary of £33,282 per annum, we’ll ensure you’re rewarded for your contribution with a competitive package that includes:
  • Contributory Final Salary Pension scheme
  • Free and reduced rate rail travel for you and your family
  • Generous holiday allowance
  • Hapi benefits package, offered to everyone at ScotRail.
Sound like your perfect job? If you think you have what it takes, we would love to hear from you.
We receive a high volume of applications for this role. Please note, if you have not received a communication from the ScotRail Recruitment Team to invite you to the first assessment stage within 12 weeks of the closing date, then please be patient and don’t be disappointed we may still contact you later in the year.

Closing Date

Saturday 9 March 2024

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

connorb

Hi I sent my application on the 1st of March. When I logged into the recruitment portal after I submitted it said under consideration. I logged in earlier today and now it doesn’t say anything. Does anybody know what this means?

RossMc

Hi I sent my application on the 1st of March. When I logged into the recruitment portal after I submitted it said under consideration. I logged in earlier today and now it doesn’t say anything. Does anybody know what this means?
Do you have a link to the recruitment portal? I didn't know there was such a thing! I'm through to the assessments but don't have a date yet (this was 2022 recruitment drive).

connorb

Do you have a link to the recruitment portal? I didn't know there was such a thing! I'm through to the assessments but don't have a date yet (this was 2022 recruitment drive).
Google scotrail careers login and click on manage your registered profile. There’s not much on it. It only tells you what applications you have submitted. I also applied in 2022 but hadn’t heard anything so reapplied

TootTootToot

Did they invite you to the in person testing, or is it online testing that they use to whittle the numbers down? Good to see such quick progress for you.

Chaz15

Applied earlier in the week and got invited to take the online test today which I have just done.

Can anyone tell me, I first applied (and the only time I've applied) in 2018 and passed the assessment centre and dipped out at DMI.

I assume if I pass online(which I'm less confident about this time) that I would be back to square one as it was so long ago. I dont mind, I enjoyed the assessment centre. Just curious.

Cheers

adam5293

Applied earlier in the week and got invited to take the online test today which I have just done.

Can anyone tell me, I first applied (and the only time I've applied) in 2018 and passed the assessment centre and dipped out at DMI.

I assume if I pass online(which I'm less confident about this time) that I would be back to square one as it was so long ago. I dont mind, I enjoyed the assessment centre. Just curious.

Cheers
Just got my email for OPC, is there any way to practice for this?

Chaz15

Just got my email for OPC, is there any way to practice for this?
Probably but I never, I try and treat those type of tests as say what I really think and if its for me great if not no harm done.

I may or may not pass but least I've been honest with myself. I enjoy the bourdon and comprehension tests so here's hoping for an invite soon!

Train Newbie

Cheers
Online tests? Are they psychometric or more like personality tests?

RossMc

Online tests? Are they psychometric or more like personality tests?
The email I received recently stating that they would be back in touch with an assessment date made no reference to anything online??

Just mentions psychometric tests for day 1, then if successfull a panel interview and further tests on a different day.

skelly152

Completed OPC tests today after applying on 4/3/24 for the March 24 intake…
Is there a time frame for finding out the results?

TIA

Magic

Does anyone know what happened to the application. It has expired, I went to finalise my application and send it today. I thought I would have had until midnight tonight to submit it.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Does anyone know what happened to the application. It has expired, I went to finalise my application and send it today. I thought I would have had until midnight tonight to submit it.
ScotRail always close their applications sharp. As @kickin aff says it’s at 0001hrs.

Even if this weren’t the case the drivers adverts can often close early due to the number of applicants, so it is always best to send it in as early as possible. Usually within 2-3 days.

Magic

Thanks for explaining, I will keep that I mind when applying again. I genuinely thought I had until midnight tonight.

WF4HA5HE

Has anyone received any further emails apart from the "thank you for your application" I thought I'd received an automated email with a questionnaire type assessment? I submitted my application on Friday night.

Glasgow

Has anyone received any further emails apart from the "thank you for your application" I thought I'd received an automated email with a questionnaire type assessment? I submitted my application on Friday night.
I submitted mine on the 6th March and not received anything either.

MS89

On my application profile page, the submission date is wrong and from saying it was under consideration it now just says that it was submitted. No idea what to make of that.

Glasgow

On my application profile page, the submission date is wrong and from saying it was under consideration it now just says that it was submitted. No idea what to make of that.
I am the same mines said the 4th March but I submitted it on the 6th. I think it may relate to the date you started the application. Mines no longer says under consideration either.

WF4HA5HE

I am the same mines said the 4th March but I submitted it on the 6th. I think it may relate to the date you started the application. Mines no longer says under consideration either.
Same with me, mine says submitted on the 2nd when i submitted it on the 8th and also no longer says under consideration. Although it did literally say under consideration earlier this morning when i was checking if i had received any emails.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
My one has also lost the ‘under consideration’, but I was given a questionnaire assessment and have since completed it.