• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail - Trainee Driver - Various (March 24)

DavidAtkin

Hi everyone, managed to get past the first hurdle for ScotRail as a trainee train driver position I applied for recently. Received an email saying that I need to sit psychometric tests , anyone done these tests recently or had the same email. This is an online test?.based in Glasgow

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WF4HA5HE

My previous application timeline was application mid Nov 18, face to face driver manager interview mid Dec 18, face to face assessment center early Jan 19. Not sure how they can still be seriously working through applications from 5 years ago now and still be advertising. I know rail recruitment takes a long time and we’ve had covid in the middle but that still seems crazy to me. It will be interesting to see how this timeline compares to my last experience if I hopefully get that far, though I can see this dragging on a lot longer.
I'm just as surprised but they must have had people apply last year who are now on a course or have a date. I work on the railway and despite driving being a dream career, people do leave the job for whatever reason so they must be putting people through but maybe being really picky with the application?

I must say aswell you did really good back in 2018 I have never heard of a train driver recruitment process progressing that quickly.

scotchbandit

Hey Kp, I received my email today also! Good luck! What have you been asked? I came here to find out what (ScotRail: Priorities - Driving Tasks) this means before I log on into the portal and complete.

I did see a thread on the Bourdon test but that thread was from 2012 people had the file and sending it etc.
I also seen people buying a book called 'How to become a train driver' so I might have a look for that and I've found websites to practice the psychometric assessments.

Really showed me how stupid ive become being a retail manager for the last 13 years. Practice practice practice though right?! haha

scotchbandit

Hey! It would seem I got my 'whittling down' email from OPC today I'm trying to find out what this mean before I log in to the portal tomorrow to do the other bits TIA and good luck to everyone.
ScotRail-TB-DTScotRail: Priorities - Driving Tasks

Chaz15

The OPC is just a questionnaire/psychometric test, no burden etc.

I doubt anyone that's just done it will tell you the questions, it's not really in their interests.

WF4HA5HE

Hey! It would seem I got my 'whittling down' email from OPC today I'm trying to find out what this mean before I log in to the portal tomorrow to do the other bits TIA and good luck to everyone.
ScotRail-TB-DTScotRail: Priorities - Driving Tasks
Read #32 and you will get a good idea.

WF4HA5HE

Hi everyone, managed to get past the first hurdle for ScotRail as a trainee train driver position I applied for recently. Received an email saying that I need to sit psychometric tests , anyone done these tests recently or had the same email. This is an online test?.based in Glasgow
Is it the online test from OPC you have been sent to complete?

John Bishop

Just checked my profile and I don’t have ‘under consideration’ either for this intake yet when I applied back in January 2023 I did have this option and it sat like that for almost a year.
Guys dont get too hung up on all this profile status messages. It’s not concrete and certainly not something to stress over. Even after I started with the company, my status was still showing “under consideration“!

John Bishop

Hi there, I have received an invitation from Scotrail to complete some online psychometric assessments following my application for trainee train driver position and I was looking for a heads up on what type of thing these tests may entail prior to me starting them. I have heard a few people talking about a “bourdon test” and was wondering if there’s anywhere I can go to practice this? Thanks, any advice appreciated.
The Group Bourdon test is not an online test. That’s one of the first tests you complete if you get invited down to assessment centre in Glasgow. Read the pinned thread on this forum for that and you will learn everything you need to know about it.

ls82

Hi I received an invite yesterday to complete online psychometric test with scotrail for trainee train driver has anyone got advice on how to get through these tests and where I can practice.woukd appreciate it.thanks

dmccluskey

Some rubbish/odd news re. mine. I spoke to recruitment a few weeks ago, and they informed me that my application from December 2022 is still under consideration.

I saw the March '24 opening, and asked the same folk at recruitment if I should apply for it, bearing in mind I still have an application in the pool. They told me that they were advising all people with applications that are still being considered from Dec '22 to apply for the March '24 opening.

I followed their advice, and got my new application sent off Friday night. However, I heard back at 08:30 this morning:

'Unfortunately, on this occasion you haven’t been successful.

Although we are unable to provide feedback at application stage we do wish you well in the future.
'

Seems too soon to have been looked over and considered, no?

I used very similar details in my application from Dec '22; I just tweaked a few answers and added a CPR course that I had since taken. Other than that, no major changes from my Dec '22 application, yet one is being considered, and my most recent seems to have been screened out considering how prompt the response was?

Confused and gutted to say the least.
Yet another update:

Despite my March '24 application being instantly rejected, per recruitment, my application from SYS-1403 (Dec '22) is still in the pool, and they let me know that they are hoping to progress this for me!

Unsure if the rejection is related to this, but I'm just relieved that my older application is still active and is (hopefully) being progressed soon.

I'm in the north of Scotland, within 45 mins of both Dundee & Aberdeen, so perhaps the smaller depots and presumably smaller intakes are linked to the longer process too?

WF4HA5HE

Hi I received an invite yesterday to complete online psychometric test with scotrail for trainee train driver has anyone got advice on how to get through these tests and where I can practice.woukd appreciate it.thanks
The email you received is not the phycometric test, the email is just part of the shortlisting process. Its 3 online questionnaires which are NOT timed and you can do them at your own pace unlike the actual phycometric which is times in control exam conditions. Their not too difficult and like I said their just for whittling down applications. Best of luck with them

Their is no real need for you to practise those 3 assessments they are very straightforward and not timed.

WF4HA5HE

smaller intakes are linked to the longer process too?
That would be my guess aswell. Smaller depots such as Kyle,Wick,Fort William and Mallaig were they may only be 1 position each are going to take much longer to whittle people down for compared to Edinburgh or Glasgow for example which may have 10 positions each.
Unsure if the rejection is related to this, but I'm just relieved that my older application is still active and is (hopefully) being progressed soon.
I would guess that's the case as they probably won't start rejecting applications until after the online assessment. But I would take it ad a good thing that they want to keep your 2022 applications live, I would take that as your still in the running for it. Best of luck

ls82

Thank you
The email you received is not the phycometric test, the email is just part of the shortlisting process. Its 3 online questionnaires which are NOT timed and you can do them at your own pace unlike the actual phycometric which is times in control exam conditions. Their not too difficult and like I said their just for whittling down applications. Best of luck with them

Their is no real need for you to practise those 3 assessments they are very straightforward and not timed.
Thank you

WF4HA5HE

Hello. I have applied. I also applied in 2019, attended the assessment centre, passed in full with a Grade A (written in email) then an hour later was informed I was unsuccessful. Unsure as to why. Fingers crossed though :)
How did you find the assessment centre. I have been to one for my current role as a conductor but never a drivers assessment?

SG9999

Hello, I have just completed the OPC online assessments and was wondering how long it took for people to get results as they don't give a time frame?

TIA

WF4HA5HE

Hello, I have just completed the OPC online assessments and was wondering how long it took for people to get results as they don't give a time frame?

TIA
I haven't completed the OPC online assessment for Scotrail but I have for other TOCs and that took about a week after the deadline for you to complete the assessment which most people on here seem to have been sent yesterday so anypoint after the 16th although it will be automated with a required standard so you'll have to meet that standard to be put through to shortlisting so it could be as soon as the 17th who knows.

SG9999

I haven't completed the OPC online assessment for Scotrail but I have for other TOCs and that took about a week after the deadline for you to complete the assessment which most people on here seem to have been sent yesterday so anypoint after the 16th although it will be automated with a required standard so you'll have to meet that standard to be put through to shortlisting so it could be as soon as the 17th who knows.
Yeah that makes sense as the deadline says the 16th! Hopefully it comes through soon enough. Thanks for you help!

SG9999

How did you find it?
It was ok to be honest, all the answers were very much focused on personal opinion so it was just making sure I didn’t second guess myself. Hopefully I picked the right answers but always that bit harder when you know there’s ’no correct answer’.

WF4HA5HE

It was ok to be honest, all the answers were very much focused on personal opinion so it was just making sure I didn’t second guess myself. Hopefully I picked the right answers but always that bit harder when you know there’s ’no correct answer’.
Ye it's very much looking at you as a person and even though it comes across that their "isn't a wrong answer" to a certain degree their is and it will just be if you matched those answers your through to the next round.

MaverickGTA

Hi everyone. I have just completed the online OPC assessment. I was just wondering if there was supposed to be an e-mail once it’s completed explaining the assessment has been completed and received? Also, has anyone had an incident where their computer crashed but after rebooting, you were able to get back to where you left off and complete the assessment? I had exactly that. I just hope that after I completed everything, it was all completed correctly.

WF4HA5HE

Hi everyone. I have just completed the online OPC assessment. I was just wondering if there was supposed to be an e-mail once it’s completed explaining the assessment has been completed and received? Also, has anyone had an incident where their computer crashed but after rebooting, you were able to get back to where you left off and complete the assessment? I had exactly that. I just hope that after I completed everything, it was all completed correctly.
Hi, hope it went well

No you won't receive any email to say its completed or I certainly didn't. The next email will probably be from Scotrail in a few weeks advising if you've made it through to shortlisting. I say probably as from what I'm reading their recruitment process is alot slow at the moment.

Also, has anyone had an incident where their computer crashed but after rebooting, you were able to get back to where you left off and complete the assessment? I had exactly that
Did it actually allow you to go back on and still complete and submit because if it did you should be fine.

MaverickGTA

Hi, hope it went well

No you won't receive any email to say its completed or I certainly didn't. The next email will probably be from Scotrail in a few weeks advising if you've made it through to shortlisting. I say probably as from what I'm reading their recruitment process is alot slow at the moment.

Did it actually allow you to go back on and still complete and submit because if it did you should be fine.
As soon as the computer restarted, I brought up Microsoft edge and clicked on “restore web pages”. Luckiky, this brought up the page where I left off. I was bricking it because I thought ‘that’s everything lost’. I was on the last assessment and last two questions too. I clicked finish and then it prompted me to log out. To which point, it wouldn’t let me log back in again. I hope it was all received correctly.

WF4HA5HE

As soon as the computer restarted, I brought up Microsoft edge and clicked on “restore web pages”. Luckiky, this brought up the page where I left off. I was bricking it because I thought ‘that’s everything lost’. I was on the last assessment and last two questions too. I clicked finish and then it prompted me to log out. To which point, it wouldn’t let me log back in again. I hope it was all received correctly.
Did it prompt you to log out after your last assessment because it did that to me aswell. May be worth pinging them an email just to double check it has gone through OK just to be sure.

WF4HA5HE

Thank you! I've been doing practice psychometric tests online and I need a lot of practice wholesale retail for 13 years makes you stupid on some things it seems haha
To be honest you don't really need to practice for the online one you were sent and it's pretty straightforward forward it's the big inperson phycometric that I would be researching and practicing for. This online one is more about your character and if you'd be a good fit for the job.