• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail - Trainee Driver - Various (March 24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotchbandit

To be honest you don't really need to practice for the online one you were sent and it's pretty straightforward forward it's the big inperson phycometric that I would be researching and practicing for. This online one is more about your character and if you'd be a good fit for the job.
yeah thats the ones that I started practicing for as soon as I applied tbh, I started reading about what they look for. Its the dot test as I have a MacBook I can't seem to find one I can't print out to practice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WF4HA5HE

yeah thats the ones that I started practicing for as soon as I applied tbh, I started reading about what they look for. Its the dot test as I have a MacBook I can't seem to find one I can't print out to practice.
I can't seen to find it but their is a thread on here were someone has posted the software for you to practice the dots/group bourbon test and the software allows you toprint as many sheets out as you like to practice on paper instead of the conputer as it is usually paper test on the day. Someone also tells you how you can get it working on mac but I can't seen to find the thread and I was literally on it yesterday!!!

mbkid

How did you find the assessment centre. I have been to one for my current role as a conductor but never a drivers assessment?
Hi I know this wasn’t asked of me but I have attended the assessment centre in Glasgow a couple years ago

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. They put you at ease and explain everything.

I think it’s been said before but if you do get invited along don’t worry about completing everything. Accuracy is the key.

WF4HA5HE

Hi I know this wasn’t asked of me but I have attended the assessment centre in Glasgow a couple years ago

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. They put you at ease and explain everything.

I think it’s been said before but if you do get invited along don’t worry about completing everything. Accuracy is the key.
Ah that sounds alright then thank you! I know it's very early days but it's always best to be prepared.

DEvans

How did you find the assessment centre. I have been to one for my current role as a conductor but never a drivers assessment?
To be honest. I enjoyed it. I thought it was incredibly fun. The tests are very intensive and you should research and practice them. Your level of concentration needs to be 110%, there’s ran continuously without any breaks and was completed for an entire day. Then the interview. Just do your research. That’s the best advice.

Watch YouTube.

WF4HA5HE

To be honest. I enjoyed it. I thought it was incredibly fun. The tests are very intensive and you should research and practice them. Your level of concentration needs to be 110%, there’s ran continuously without any breaks and was completed for an entire day. Then the interview. Just do your research. That’s the best advice.
When you say interview do you mean the MMI?

WF4HA5HE

Yes. MMI, it’s a straightforward interview.
Is it as intense as people make it out to be? i've heard its kinda their to put you under pressure and catch you out rather then the DMI which is like any other job interview.

RiverDon

Is it as intense as people make it out to be? i've heard its kinda their to put you under pressure and catch you out rather then the DMI which is like any other job interview.
When I went to the assessment center last time I applied the only challenging thing for me was the MMI interview which was right at the end of the day. The paper and computer tests were fine if you have practiced the examples they send you beforehand (though the actual tests are a bit different from what they send). The center was run by two women who came across as good cop and bad cop. Unfortunately I got bad cop for my MMI interview and I let her wind me up and get under my skin when she was pressu me to change my mind about something. I was getting anxious and I knew I had failed just from her body language before she asked the third question. If I make it through to the face to face assessment this time I’ll be ready for the pressure. And hopefully I get good cop this time!

The driver manager interview before the assessment center was a nice relaxed chat and didn’t feel like an interview at all really.

WF4HA5HE

The center was run by two women who came across as good cop and bad cop. Unfortunately I got bad cop for my MMI interview and I let her wind me up and get under my skin when she was pressu me to change my mind about something. I was getting anxious and I knew I had failed just from her body language before she asked the third question
Do you think that was done deliberately as part of the test?

RiverDon

Yeah mate I think so. She tried to get me to change my mind about an answer and I got a bit defencive which I realise now I shouldn’t have done. She wasn’t nasty about it just putting me under pressure and I got all unsettled and struggled with the rest of my answers because I didn’t want to say too much and dig myself a hole. Spoke with a lad from the center on the same train home as me, he got good cop for his MMI interview and said she couldn’t of been nicer!

WF4HA5HE

Yeah mate I think so. She tried to get me to change my mind about an answer and I got a bit defencive which I realise now I shouldn’t have done. She wasn’t nasty about it just putting me under pressure and I got all unsettled and struggled with the rest of my answers because I didn’t want to say too much and dig myself a hole. Spoke with a lad from the center on the same train home as me, he got good cop for his MMI interview and said she couldn’t of been nicer!
You don't have to tell me if you don't want too because I know some people don't like sharing info about the interview but were the questions they asked relevant to the role or are they just random to see how you answer.

Tr4inee

Yes that's the one , completed it tonight
Also completed mine last night. Couldn’t really tell how I got on. Felt like I did pretty well at the beginning but after going through some of the answers in my mind I can justify right and wrong reasons for each scenario
Bit of a mindfu** but I did answer them honestly so here’s hoping. Best of luck to everybody else too.

WF4HA5HE

Also completed mine last night. Couldn’t really tell how I got on. Felt like I did pretty well at the beginning but after going through some of the answers in my mind I can justify right and wrong reasons for each scenario
Bit of a mindfu** but I did answer them honestly so here’s hoping. Best of luck to everybody else too.
I feel the exact same. I answered them honestly but I just have a feeling some of my answers just weren't what they are looking for but we'll see.

Kuksoolgirl

Hey, I completed mine last night too. It was so frustrating as some i was like yes i agree, but also i disagree. With the 3rd one , there was only 1 Question right?
Good luck everyone.
Hope we don't have too long a wait.

WF4HA5HE

Hey, I completed mine last night too. It was so frustrating as some i was like yes i agree, but also i disagree. With the 3rd one , there was only 1 Question right?
Good luck everyone.
Hope we don't have too long a wait.
Ye I struggled to answer some because it specifically tells you to try not pick neither agree or disagree and you can tell the answer they are looking for some of the questions it's blatantly obvious but I answered honestly so we'll have to see.

hoody11

Just completed my assessments online, the personality questions were quite strange IMO and are there to catch you out. Job involves working alone but you can’t say I don’t like working with people surely anyway done now

WF4HA5HE

Just completed my assessments online, the personality questions were quite strange IMO and are there to catch you out. Job involves working alone but you can’t say I don’t like working with people surely anyway done now
That is the exact question that I think I may have failed the assessment on!! I'm glad someone agrees with my thinking about it.

hoody11

That is the exact question that I think I may have failed the assessment on!! I'm glad someone agrees with my thinking about it.
Ye, the problem I had was I stated I enjoyed working alone (part of job) but 2 pages later it asks if I like working with people, I had to say no or my previous answer looks like a lie- but it sounds really bad. Anyway it’s done now, good luck buddy

Kuksoolgirl

Ye, the problem I had was I stated I enjoyed working alone (part of job) but 2 pages later it asks if I like working with people, I had to say no or my previous answer looks like a lie- but it sounds really bad. Anyway it’s done now, good luck buddy
I found myself in the same scenario lol. But I did say I liked working with people. I also answered 1 question with neither agree or disagree, although advised not too. Awkward lol

Tr4inee

I found myself in the same scenario lol. But I did say I liked working with people. I also answered 1 question with neither agree or disagree, although advised not too. Awkward lol
I’m the same. I think I answered three with neither agree/disagree. Even though It said try not to use it too many time I could only be honest. totally thinking too much into it. Just hope to see some good news in my inbox in the next few days.

doonhamer

I’m the same. I think I answered three with neither agree/disagree. Even though It said try not to use it too many time I could only be honest. totally thinking too much into it. Just hope to see some good news in my inbox in the next few days.
I’m similar to yourself in that I answered one or two as neither agree/disagree but that was my honest answer for those questions. I also said I like working alone and I liked working with others, as I do enjoy elements of both.

Fingers crossed we hear some news soon.

RiverDon

Well I took a full day off work for the OPC questions which now seems a bit stupid since they took me less than 20 minutes total. The personality quiz was tricky like everyone else has said. I put neither agree nor disagree twice and I only put one strongly agree. Some of them were hard like ‘I like a job where I’m constantly monitored’ because a driver works unsupervised but is closely monitored by data recorders and manager ridealongs. If you put agree to that then it makes it sound like you’re needy and useless but if you put disagree it makes it seem like you’re a loose cannon who doesn’t like being told what to do. It’s quite a conundrum. The most/least important questions were hard too particular ranking the least important options. I mean yes giving out correct information to customers clearly isn’t as important as driving the train safely but is it less important than giving a smooth ride?

Basically I think I’ve failed the lot and they’re gonna come back and tell me I’m a psychopath.

Slow Seline

I answered at least 12 questions with ‘Neither agree nor disagree’, so I’ll let you know if I pass, and we can put that theory to bed. :lol::lol:

Well I took a full day off work for the OPC questions which now seems a bit stupid since they took me less than 20 minutes total. The personality quiz was tricky like everyone else has said. I put neither agree nor disagree twice and I only put one strongly agree. Some of them were hard like ‘I like a job where I’m constantly monitored’ because a driver works unsupervised but is closely monitored by data recorders and manager ridealongs. If you put agree to that then it makes it sound like you’re needy and useless but if you put disagree it makes it seem like you’re a loose cannon who doesn’t like being told what to do. It’s quite a conundrum. The most/least important questions were hard too particular ranking the least important options. I mean yes giving out correct information to customers clearly isn’t as important as driving the train safely but is it less important than giving a smooth ride?

Basically I think I’ve failed the lot and they’re gonna come back and tell me I’m a psychopath.

RiverDon

I don’t suppose anyone knows if these online tests count towards the two lifes rule if you are binned for getting them wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.