• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamieson

Are you serious??? I've signed up to alerts and got nothing but a heads up email from this thread!!! I can't believe I missed this again. I've just gone on to First website and it wasn't there so went on to Indeed and it was there but closed! I'm so ****ed off now I can't sleep
Nevermind, this is what I get for not being on the ball. Best of luck to those who weren't sleeping!??????

Last edited:

Jydo

I got the email on wednesday at 8pm. The closing date was the 17th and there were about 9 depots looking for drivers. I applied within an hour, then sat both the online assessments. I got an email on thursday night advertised the same job but it only listed around 5 depots. I then got an email today at lunchtime saying thanks but no thanks.

I find the whole thing a bit confusing because back in March when we all applied there was alot of candidates who passed all the stages, never got offered a job and were placed in the talent pool, surely they should have been offered the jobs??

Jamieson I wouldnt lose much sleep over it mate, the jobs probably werent meant to be advertised externally & if they were then god knows what they are playing at?

Driverb

I got the email on wednesday at 8pm. The closing date was the 17th and there were about 9 depots looking for drivers. I applied within an hour, then sat both the online assessments. I got an email on thursday night advertised the same job but it only listed around 5 depots. I then got an email today at lunchtime saying thanks but no thanks.

I find the whole thing a bit confusing because back in March when we all applied there was alot of candidates who passed all the stages, never got offered a job and were placed in the talent pool, surely they should have been offered the jobs??

Jamieson I wouldnt lose much sleep over it mate, the jobs probably werent meant to be advertised externally & if they were then god knows what they are playing at?

Jydo, have they replied to you saying you have been unsuccessful?

Jydo

Yes, got email at lunchtime, I only got one question wrong with the 2nd online assessment & obv passed the 1st assessment otherwise u dont get thru to the number checking 2nd assessment........

Driverb

Yes, got email at lunchtime, I only got one question wrong with the 2nd online assessment & obv passed the 1st assessment otherwise u dont get thru to the number checking 2nd assessment........

Yeah just wondering as I've not heard anything yet:/

Hardie12

I would wonder why you get a email saying no with a score like that?

Any explanation?

I have yet to hear back also applied Wednesday just after lunchtime

Jydo

I defo know I just got the one wrong.......

Maybe its because I failed at the 1st stage at the assessment centre???

I find this whole thing a bit bizaar

Hardie12

Sounds strange if you think you done so well.

I know when doing the sift they will look at the application as a whole, oh well wait and see what comes the inbox

Jydo

Good luck mate.......next stage should be telephone interview.......

Its the guys in the talent pool who are probably a bit miffed??

Hardie12

It's a strange way to be doing things but I have heard of this before, even though there are people in the talent pool they will still do a recruitment campaign. Hope you keep going and try again mate, I will be of that email comes through

Jamieson

Just to give you guys a heads up. I emailed careers@first to see why I never received an alert and if they're likely to recruit in the near future. This is the response:

Thank you for your email. We had to close the advert early due to
receiving over 1000 applications. Given this level of interest we are
unlikely to be needing to recruit again in the near future.

Back to the grind I suppose.....

Jydo

Keep the head up mate & make sure u apply in the future, subscribe to every job at GLA & EDI

Jydo

It will be interesting to see if any external applicants who applied get anywhere with this? Im going to assume that I never submitted my online assessments as quickly as other candidates have, hence the reason I got a thanks but no thanks email, I am adament that my scores on both assessments were sufficent enough......

Once they get X amount of candidates passing both tests they must just disregard the rest.....

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Think it is going to get harder joining from the street due to increasing numbers applying..
Think going in as a guard, station staff first is going to be way to go especially at Scotrail as they are only company that take Trainees on in Scotland

At FGW we have around 20-30 guards on hold at Bristol for Assesments and interviews for Trainee Drivers

jim8970

I applied on wed night and instantly got the assessment to complete. Got another assessment on Thursday which I completed that night. Have not received any emails back yet. Here's hoping!!

G42

I applied on wed night and instantly got the assessment to complete. Got another assessment on Thursday which I completed that night. Have not received any emails back yet. Here's hoping!!

I also applied Wednesday night (early hours of Thursday), completed SJT there and then but waited until Friday lunchtime to complete the verify checking test.

I haven't heard anything back yet either but if Jydo's outcome is anything to go by then I definitely haven't got through! I don't know my exact score (Jydo I'm guessing you done some sort of screen record?) however based on the practice... I would have got more than one wrong thats for sure.

I'm guessing it is a human that does the yes/no, otherwise the rejection would be automated (and almost instantaneous) like the previous stage? Given the volume of applicants, perhaps it is split by officer/depot, meaning some people have heard back before others.

Hardie12

I had application in Wednesday afternoon and completed the first test at the same time. Never done the 2nd assessment until Thursday morning though. Have heard nothing yet.

Jydo

I submitted my application on Wednesday night (got job alert email at 8pm) and completed the SJT but never done the number checking assessment till the Thursday night then got the no thanks email at 10am friday morning........guys no news is good news so just wait & see,

Regards the numbers checking test, yeah I just kept a mental note in my head as to how many I think I got wrong and as previously said Im pretty sure it was just the one.

When I previously applied back in March my application (including both online tests) were done & dusted within 5 hours from the job alert email that I received.

TDK

Established Member
It will be interesting to see if any external applicants who applied get anywhere with this? Im going to assume that I never submitted my online assessments as quickly as other candidates have, hence the reason I got a thanks but no thanks email, I am adament that my scores on both assessments were sufficent enough......

Once they get X amount of candidates passing both tests they must just disregard the rest.....

There is a given time for the tests to be completed and it is the closing date/time of the vacancy advertised so all tests within that period will be assessed, if you receive a thanks but no thanks before the closing date it's simple - you failed the test

Driverb

Just to let everyone know that's the vacancies back on the website.. Closing date 22/12/2014

Donachie

Just to let everyone know that's the vacancies back on the website.. Closing date 22/12/2014

Probably due the number of applicants that have failed the numbers test over weekend ??

Has to be one of the trickiest online tests to take. I passed it for a Great Western application, which is still on-going, but made a hash of it this time.
Wished they would class a pass mark valid for a few years like the drivers psychometric test !!!

Donachie.

Hardie12

I would agree it must be due to the numbers having failed the verify checking test. It was rather tricky. Would be interesting to know when other might hear back.

Driverb

Probably due the number of applicants that have failed the numbers test over weekend ??

Has to be one of the trickiest online tests to take. I passed it for a Great Western application, which is still on-going, but made a hash of it this time.
Wished they would class a pass mark valid for a few years like the drivers psychometric test !!!

Donachie.

Did you fail the test with scotrail?