• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scotrail84

Established Member
Its meant to be 5 years, and had this confirmed at Atrium court when I sat tests for conductor in March....just not sure if I'll hear between now and August.
Thats strange because when I done tests recently the examiner stated it was 2 years the Conductors test last for, however drivers may be different of course.

RiverDon

I’m another one who got the email this morning saying I have passed the SJT. They must be processing applications in batches.

vic27

Got the email saying I ‘met the required standard’ today, closest station is Dumfries, good luck everyone who is still waiting!!

G_Scotland

Been lurking on the forum for a whole without posting but I also received the met the standard email yesterday.

Good luck everyone.

delboy84

I had my DMI a couple of weeks ago and finally got a reply yesterday morning to say I’ve passed! Massive relief. Now onto 2nd assessment next week and potentially the MMI.

RossMc

I had my DMI a couple of weeks ago and finally got a reply yesterday morning to say I’ve passed! Massive relief. Now onto 2nd assessment next week and potentially the MMI.
A couple of weeks? I was hoping it would be a couple if days like the first assessment day. I've got mine coming up shortly.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Good evening, all,

It would appear we’ve had two separate ScotRail Trainee Driver threads running simultaneously for a little while (albeit I realise this was an intentional split at the time).

I’ve just taken the opportunity to move a handful of most recent posts from the other thread (https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/scotrail-trainee-driver-various-march-24.263657/) to here.

Feel free to continue any discussion as appropriate - picking up from either thread :)

Take care,

TP

delboy84

A couple of weeks? I was hoping it would be a couple if days like the first assessment day. I've got mine coming up shortly.
It seems to depend on depot. Motherwell is apparently well known for taking 2-3 weeks for a response. However, when I got the response on Tuesday I was invited to 2nd assessment on Thursday! But was too short notice, so have rearranged for Monday. Need a little more time to prepare and practice what I can for the reaction/vigilance/perception tests and the MMI.

RossMc

It seems to depend on depot. Motherwell is apparently well known for taking 2-3 weeks for a response. However, when I got the response on Tuesday I was invited to 2nd assessment on Thursday! But was too short notice, so have rearranged for Monday. Need a little more time to prepare and practice what I can for the reaction/vigilance/perception tests and the MMI.

Is the MMI and tests on the same day?

G_Morto

Hi. Been watching this thread for a while and decided to create an account as I’m a bit confused. From what I can gather some applied at a recent intake and are already being progressed to further stages?

I applied January 2023; last I could see my application was sitting as “under consideration” or similar wording. I lost the ability to log in and have since had numerous emails with the recruitment team, last of which was in February telling me the recruitment process is ongoing and to look at my emails. Radio silence since then.

Am I just wasting my time at this point?

RossMc

Hi. Been watching this thread for a while and decided to create an account as I’m a bit confused. From what I can gather some applied at a recent intake and are already being progressed to further stages?

I applied January 2023; last I could see my application was sitting as “under consideration” or similar wording. I lost the ability to log in and have since had numerous emails with the recruitment team, last of which was in February telling me the recruitment process is ongoing and to look at my emails. Radio silence since then.

Am I just wasting my time at this point?

Definitely not. I applied December 2022 and have only just sat my first assessment day earlier this month. I passed that and recently had my DMI which I'm waiting to hear bsck about.

There are looking for over 150 drivers a year for the next four years.

If I was you I would email recruitment and make a polite enquiry.

Definitely don't give up and just remain patient for now. Good luck.

G_Morto

Definitely not. I applied December 2022 and have only just sat my first assessment day earlier this month. I passed that and recently had my DMI which I'm waiting to hear bsck about.

There are looking for over 150 drivers a year for the next four years.

If I was you I would email recruitment and make a polite enquiry.

Definitely don't give up and just remain patient for now. Good luck.
Thanks for reply, that’s encouraging to hear. Good luck with the rest your of assessments!

Craig1998

Received my successful email last Tuesday. Was just wondering if anyone from the March 2024 applications who have also been successful have been to Atrium court yet for their first assessment or have been sent a date yet?

dmccluskey

My closest station is Montrose (therefore 'eligibile' for Aberdeen and Dundee depots) and am yet to be called up for assessments at Atrium. I applied December 2022, but was assured a few months ago from recruitment that my application is very much still live in the pool.

I may drop them an email next week to confirm that this is still the case, as they have always gotten back to me very promptly.

dmccluskey

Interesting update from recruitment.

Those who had an application in the pool under the December 2022 intake, and also applied under the March 2024 intake but were rejected (pre or post OPC test), will no longer have their December 2022 application considered.

See quote below:

'since our previous email, there has been a change in the way in which we will be processing our candidates. After further instruction we have been advised that candidates who are regretted for the recent file under the OPC process are to not be considered for the initial vacancy [SYS-1403].'

Craig1998

Interesting update from recruitment.

Those who had an application in the pool under the December 2022 intake, and also applied under the March 2024 intake but were rejected (pre or post OPC test), will no longer have their December 2022 application considered.

See quote below:

'since our previous email, there has been a change in the way in which we will be processing our candidates. After further instruction we have been advised that candidates who are regretted for the recent file under the OPC process are to not be considered for the initial vacancy [SYS-1403].'
Has this impacted you?

dmccluskey

Has this impacted you?
Yes unfortunately :frown:

The recruitment team had advised me to re-apply in Mar'24. I did, late on the Friday/final evening. Had rejection almost immediately the next working day; believe it was around 08:30 on the Monday. Was quite perplexed given the two applications were near identical, and my second had more health and safety related pieces added to it.

Given the rapid response, I assume that this application was screened out, but I'm not quite sure why given none of my answers had changed. However, they told me that this wasn't an issue, as my original application from Dec'22 was still live and that they were looking to progress this for me.

I emailed them yesterday to check in and was informed that they were essentially axing folk in my boat, per the quote in my previous post.

Bit gutting to say the least considering the 17 months of waiting, and that I wasn't actually informed until I asked.

Last edited:

RossMc

Yes unfortunately :frown:

The recruitment team had advised me to re-apply in Mar'24. I did, late on the Friday/final evening. Had rejection almost immediately the next working day; believe it was around 08:30 on the Monday. Was quite perplexed given the two applications were near identical, and my second had more health and safety related pieces added to it.

Given the rapid response, I assume that this application was screened out, but I'm not quite sure why given none of my answers had changed. However, they told me that this wasn't an issue, as my original application from Dec'22 was still live and that they were looking to progress this for me.

I emailed them yesterday to check in and was informed that they were essentially axing folk in my boat, per the quote in my previous post.

Bit gutting to say the least considering the 17 months of waiting, and that I wasn't actually informed until I asked.

As frustrating as it must be, I can understand why. It doesn't make sense to revert to an old application from 18 months previous, when a new and up to date one has been rejected.

Over 150 drivers a year are being recruited for the next four years, so you will be able to reapply soon. Probably later this year.

Chaz15

I'm pretty sure it's location based and it doesn't really matter when you do sjt's etc.

I sat the first sjt very sharp after the closing dates, and completed my 2nd on 20/3/24 and not heard back, and i'm sure thats down to location rather than score (may sound arrogant but I know SJT's inside out)

What will be will be.

vic27

I got an email for the in person assessment a week today in Glasgow, Tuesday 28th, just found out today, good luck to everyone else!!

KGD1994

Hi guys, same boat as everyone else really- sat SJT in march and not heard back yet for Dundee.

Does anyone have the email address for recruitment? Just to see if i can push for a gentle update on things.