• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

RossMc

They're obviously doing things totally different this time. I did the situational judgement thing on the same day I did my second set of assessments and MMI.

A few internals I have spoken to have their DMI first before doing any of the tests.
The online assessments that the newest applicants are doing is an additional way of weeding people out.

Those who pass that are then going on to the assessment centre tests that all previous applicants started with.

Ie any previous applicants that are still waiting don't have to sit the online tests (I believe).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kuksoolgirl

The online assessments that the newest applicants are doing is an additional way of weeding people out.

Those who pass that are then going on to the assessment centre tests that all previous applicants started with.

Ie any previous applicants that are still waiting don't have to sit the online tests (I believe).
My situation is, I passed the 1st round of tests at Atrium Court in August 19, and also DMI interview (also 2019), then put in reserve pool.. then covid. I've had confirmation from HR my test is valid for 5 years, but when i applied again this month I did have to do the online test last week. I'm hoping if I pass the online test that I won't have to re-sit the 1st psychometric test.

RossMc

My situation is, I passed the 1st round of tests at Atrium Court in August 19, and also DMI interview (also 2019), then put in reserve pool.. then covid. I've had confirmation from HR my test is valid for 5 years, but when i applied again this month I did have to do the online test last week. I'm hoping if I pass the online test that I won't have to re-sit the 1st psychometric test.
Yeah but you re-applied so fell in to the new process.

LoogaBarooga

Ah ok I see.

dmccluskey

I think this is what's happening.

Recruitment have re-assured me numerous times that my Dec'22 application is still live in the application pool, and that they are looking to progress this for me (presumably once more capacity at my local depots).

I'm not required to do any of these tests; they instantly rejected my Mar'24 application but kept my Dec'22 one live.

ChoooChooo

I failed my assessment a few weeks back. The part I thought I'd sail through was the elevator tones but it's the part that caused me to fail I think. For some reason my brain just stopped telling the difference between them and lost count. I take it you have to count them bang on and not be out by one or two?

Ill try again. I'll try and practice this somehow and if I fail again, I guess that's the end of my driver ambitions.

Good luck to everyone sitting tests in the future.

Maxwell1994

Hi Ross was wondering if you could help me

I done the situational judgement test yesterday and I lost where I was for time, I had answered all the questions and was just checking the answers in case I had made a mistake and unfortunately it timed out right before I hit end test

Do you know if that will have a negative impact on my application or will the answers have been submitted

RossMc

Hi Ross was wondering if you could help me

I done the situational judgement test yesterday and I lost where I was for time, I had answered all the questions and was just checking the answers in case I had made a mistake and unfortunately it timed out right before I hit end test

Do you know if that will have a negative impact on my application or will the answers have been submitted

Sorry I've no idea. I'm in the application process too.

delboy84

I had my assessment 1 at Atrium Court last tues, and received an email to say I passed on the following morning. Email said he would be in touch shortly with a date for preliminary interview, so just waiting for that now and doing research. Now trying to arrange a date to visit the motherwell depot, and got a pal who works out of Yoker who’s helping too.

I didn’t do too much practice before the assessment, and I found some parts easy and some parts tricky but then I was aiming to finish everything and at least some of the tests are designed for you not to finish them. Definitely worthwhile practicing everything in the guide, plus spend a couple of hours practicing the group bourdon dots test online.

JMatrix

I had my assessment 1 at Atrium Court last tues, and received an email to say I passed on the following morning. Email said he would be in touch shortly with a date for preliminary interview, so just waiting for that now and doing research. Now trying to arrange a date to visit the motherwell depot, and got a pal who works out of Yoker who’s helping too.

I didn’t do too much practice before the assessment, and I found some parts easy and some parts tricky but then I was aiming to finish everything and at least some of the tests are designed for you not to finish them. Definitely worthwhile practicing everything in the guide, plus spend a couple of hours practicing the group bourdon dots test online.
Hey. Was the Bourdon test done with a pen and paper or on a computer? Thanks in advance

choskie

Hi all,

Looking for some advice! I was attempting my SJT on the OPC website on Sunday and had a power cut not even halfway through - when I tried to log back on, the portal stated I had no tests awaiting me. I have tried to contact OPC, and told on the phone to email them (which I did on Sunday) and have heard nothing yet.

Does anyone have any experience of this? How long should I expect to wait for a response? I am panicking as the deadline was tomorrow, and am worried it'll be logged as a fail and my application cancelled!

ZackCulross

Hi all,

Looking for some advice! I was attempting my SJT on the OPC website on Sunday and had a power cut not even halfway through - when I tried to log back on, the portal stated I had no tests awaiting me. I have tried to contact OPC, and told on the phone to email them (which I did on Sunday) and have heard nothing yet.

Does anyone have any experience of this? How long should I expect to wait for a response? I am panicking as the deadline was tomorrow, and am worried it'll be logged as a fail and my application cancelled!
Unfortunately I would say it's over, had something similar happen to me with avanti, where my laptop froze and blue screened and I wasn't able to resit

Crooky2

Just had my DMI today. Completed first part of assessments. If successful at interview will be 2nd part computer tests. I don't feel like I done very well at the interview today. Seemed to be over fairly quickly and questions were not what I had expected. I did prepare hundreds of questions and answers but most of the ones I had prepared didn't come up. The interviewers said it is a points based system so fingers crossed I did enough on the day.

delboy84

Just had my DMI today. Completed first part of assessments. If successful at interview will be 2nd part computer tests. I don't feel like I done very well at the interview today. Seemed to be over fairly quickly and questions were not what I had expected. I did prepare hundreds of questions and answers but most of the ones I had prepared didn't come up. The interviewers said it is a points based system so fingers crossed I did enough on the day.
What kind of questions did they ask please? From what I’ve heard the interview is based on who you are, what you know etc.

delboy84

Any word of an interview yet ? Was also at atrium court on 12th
No nothing yet. I’m also still waiting for a date for depot visit to Motherwell. I sent a chaser email on Wed this week but no reply yet. I know they’ll be mega busy though. Frustrating when you’re just waiting for a date though. For me it coincides nicely with my growing desire to leave my current workplace.

marcy

No nothing yet. I’m also still waiting for a date for depot visit to Motherwell. I sent a chaser email on Wed this week but no reply yet. I know they’ll be mega busy though. Frustrating when you’re just waiting for a date though. For me it coincides nicely with my growing desire to leave my current workplace.
Hopefully soon

prayingsally

Hi folks,

I've had a look through the threads but couldn't find the answer so apologies in advance if this has already been covered. I was just wondering where people were through the process, I have done my stage 1 & Stage 2 assessments along with DTM & MMI interviews and got an email to say I had been successful and recruitment would be in touch to advise of next step. Just seeing if anyone was in the same boat?
Hi Trigger, congratulations on getting through all the hard parts! I was just wondering if you got a date for a medical and how did it go? I’m worried about mine. Also who did you put down for your references? I work with quite a few senior staff members in my current role so was just curious as to what info they will ask your referees so I know who to put. I spend more time with some people than others so will know me on a more personal level. Thanks!

scotchbandit

I’m keeping everything crossed I done well on the SJT (under 10 days ago) so haven’t heard back yet. What is the next step after sitting the SJT? A lot of obvious things have been happening in my life (towards applying and what not) and I feel I’m on the right path but still nervous.

dmccluskey

I’m keeping everything crossed I done well on the SJT (under 10 days ago) so haven’t heard back yet. What is the next step after sitting the SJT? A lot of obvious things have been happening in my life (towards applying and what not) and I feel I’m on the right path but still nervous.
The SJT is a new step for those applying under the March 2024 intake. I believe it sits after the initial sift (e.g. automated rejections), and before the actual in person assessments (psychometric, DMI and computer tests).

Those applying under the Dec’22 (SYS-1403) and previous intakes who still have an application live in the pool, will still be in the pool for assessment centres without needing to sit the SJT.

It’s essentially just a tool being used as a new way to further sift applicants.

Those successful in the SJT will then presumably be placed in the application pools alongside those from previous intakes, awaiting an assessment centre date dependant on depot availability/capacity.

Last edited:

RossMc

The SJT is a new step for those applying under the March 2024 intake. I believe it sits after the initial sift (e.g. automated rejections), and before the actual in person assessments (psychometric, DMI and computer tests).

Those applying under the Dec’22 (SYS-1403) and previous intakes who still have an application live in the pool, will still be in the pool for assessment centres without needing to sit the SJT.

It’s essentially just a tool being used as a new way to further sift applicants.

Those successful in the SJT will then presumably be placed in the application pools alongside those from previous intakes, awaiting an assessment centre date dependant on depot availability/capacity.
This is how I understand it.

delboy84

I had a depot visit at Motherwell this morning. Really helpful. Still awaiting interview date and in the meantime hoping to get a visit to Yoker too.

scotchbandit

Very helpful. Thank you.
I ran into a DI in my current job and spoke to him for a minute and then went to Waverley and just so happened to run into him again. Extremely helpful, extremely knowledgable great asset to Scotrail. Really fuelled my fire more to get on it and educate myself more for what’s ahead.

Last edited:

marcy

I had a depot visit at Motherwell this morning. Really helpful. Still awaiting interview date and in the meantime hoping to get a visit to Yoker too.
Good stuff , have done a depot visit as well, so beneficial and helpful . Still waiting on interview date

Stesta18

Have you had a date confirmed yet? Hopefully you hear soon if not. Internal or eternal candidate? I’m awaiting DMI date just now.

Andrewm1

same did mine 2 saturdays ago and still waiting keeping my fingers crossed!