• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RossMc

External trainee driver recruitment has reopened for all depots. Closes Saturday 9th March 2024.

Good news that they are still looking for drivers, despite the 2022 recruitment drive still ongoing.

Sounds like anyone in the current drive from '22 who is successfull, won't have to wait too long for a vacancy.

Hoping to hear about my assessment day date soon. (Edinburgh / Bathgate)

WHL

Hello all. I applied for the intake at the end of 2023 and my application is still currently sitting at *Under Consideration*. Will I be able to re-apply for the new intake? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

RossMc

Hello all. I applied for the intake at the end of 2023 and my application is still currently sitting at *Under Consideration*. Will I be able to re-apply for the new intake? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Why would you do that if your current one is still being considered?

kickin aff

Yes, re-apply. I applied summer of 2018 then in the December I reapplied. My first series of tests were in Feb 2019 and I eventually got the job in June 2019. At final interview I asked which application they were running with and was informed it was my first. Both were almost identical in any case.

Glasgow

I contacted recruitment because I applied in December 2022 and the last I heard anything was them requesting a CV from me at the end of last year.

Recruitment replied saying that they are still going through the recruitment process but encouraged me to reapply for this intake as well. Wouldn't do any harm to send them an email asking for advice. Hope this helps.

WHL

I contacted recruitment because I applied in December 2022 and the last I heard anything was them requesting a CV from me at the end of last year.

Recruitment replied saying that they are still going through the recruitment process but encouraged me to reapply for this intake as well. Wouldn't do any harm to send them an email asking for advice. Hope this helps.
Okay. thank you for your reply! Application sent so fingers crossed.

EGPH1403

Me too, i reapplied earlier in the week but still had my application from last year showing as outstanding.
I applied earlier this week, and just got the same. This will be to whittle down the numbers, before invitation to the assessment centre, if successful I’d imagine.

xPedro

Hey all, looking for a bit of advice.

- I applied in December 2019 for a trainee train driver post. I was successful at the psychometric testing at Atrium court.
- I then had a Managers Inverview at my local station and shortly after sent an email stating I had successfully passed the managers interview. It advised that although successful there was no jobs at present and I'd be placed in a pool for 6 months.
- I heard nothing until December 2022 asking me if I was still interested and to update any details.

Is anyone else in a similar situation? Is there any hope you think after such a long time in the reserve pool?

Thank you

Last edited:

Andrewm1

Long time lurker thought i'd finally sign up, got my test through as well i guess this one doesn't really need any research?

Also there seems to be alot of people waiting along time is this usual?

RossMc

- I applied in December 2019 for a trainee train driver post. I was successful at the psychometric testing at Atrium court.
- I then had a Managers Inverview at my local station and shortly after sent an email stating I had successfully passed the managers interview. It advised that although successful there was no jobs at present and I'd be placed in a pool for 6 months.
- I heard nothing until December 2022 asking me if I was still interested and to update any details.

Is anyone else in a similar situation? Is there any hope you think after such a long time in the reserve pool?

Thank you
I was speaking to a Scotrail manager last week who told me that 2019 applicants were still being processed!

I would email in if I was you and ask for clarification of your status.

xPedro

I was speaking to a Scotrail manager last week who told me that 2019 applicants were still being processed!

I would email in if I was you and ask for clarification of your status.
I appreciate the reply bud.

That's positive news then. I sent an email to recruitment yesterday to try and clarify my position in the reserve pool. I'm not sure how long it normally takes for a reply but I've got my fingers crossed for good news.

delboy84

Do you have a link to the recruitment portal? I didn't know there was such a thing! I'm through to the assessments but don't have a date yet (this was 2022 recruitment drive).
I got my date through this week - tues 19th March. So they must be working their way through them.

Charladenz

Thank you

You may already know this, but they recently had an advert out for Inverness for Trainee drivers, I seen it posted by a driver I know. So would definitely be worth an email to say that your still interested I think, if you are :D

xPedro

You may already know this, but they recently had an advert out for Inverness for Trainee drivers, I seen it posted by a driver I know. So would definitely be worth an email to say that your still interested I think, if you are :D
Ah I missed that advert bud.

I've sent an email saying I'm definitely still interested and if they could clarify my position in the holding pool or if it's all expired etc

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Anyone discussing the 2024 March advert, can you please take conversation here:

RossMc

I'm becoming more and more confused. I applied in Dec '22 and recently received a number of emails asking for clarification that I was still interested, which included study material for assessments, and a note saying they will be back in touch soon with an assessment date. An assessment being at the assessment centre in Glasgow I assume.

Since then the new recruitment add has come out with new applicants being invited to undertake online assessments already.

Nothing about an online assessment was mentioned to me and I'm still waiting for a date to attend the centre. All very confusing. To clarify, it was only a matter of weeks ago that I received these emails.

Anyone else in the same boat or have an idea of what is going on?

gshmfc1986

I'm becoming more and more confused. I applied in Dec '22 and recently received a number of emails asking for clarification that I was still interested, which included study material for assessments, and a note saying they will be back in touch soon with an assessment date. An assessment being at the assessment centre in Glasgow I assume.

Since then the new recruitment add has come out with new applicants being invited to undertake online assessments already.

Nothing about an online assessment was mentioned to me and I'm still waiting for a date to attend the centre. All very confusing. To clarify, it was only a matter of weeks ago that I received these emails.

Anyone else in the same boat or have an idea of what is going on?
Hi RossMc,

I’m in a similar position, I initially applied back in 2019. Pretty sure I done some sort of online tests at the time, I never heard anything after that until dec 22 I received an email asking if I was still interested in the role and to update details etc. Didn’t hear anything again until last month I received another email asking if I was still interested and to update details. Then I received an email back with assessment practice paper attachment and told they would be back in touch with a date for assessment but haven’t heard anything since. It does give a little hope though after 5 years

Braveheart

Where can you see that it says you’re still under consideration?

I have had a bit of a carry on with my attempts to get in. Passed an initial assessment, but that’ll now have passed. Had re-applied back in 2022 & heard nothing, so applied again….now got an online test to do, but still wondering what happened with the 2022 application.

WHL

I have had a bit of a carry on with my attempts to get in. Passed an initial assessment, but that’ll now have passed. Had re-applied back in 2022 & heard nothing, so applied again….now got an online test to do, but still wondering what happened with the 2022 application.
Funnily enough I checked it again this morning and its gone but got the online test now.

RossMc

Hi RossMc,

I’m in a similar position, I initially applied back in 2019. Pretty sure I done some sort of online tests at the time, I never heard anything after that until dec 22 I received an email asking if I was still interested in the role and to update details etc. Didn’t hear anything again until last month I received another email asking if I was still interested and to update details. Then I received an email back with assessment practice paper attachment and told they would be back in touch with a date for assessment but haven’t heard anything since. It does give a little hope though after 5 years

I had heard that some 2019 applicants were still being processed.

Last edited:

WF4HA5HE

Back when you applied in 2022 did you recieve the online screening test from OPC or was it literally just the "Thank you for applying" email you received.