• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

John Bishop

I had heard that some 2019 applicants were still being processed. Ridiculous really.
Why ridiculous? There’s been very little external recruitment since 2019 and COVID due to the huge backlog in training new Drivers. This latest recruitment drive is just topping up the available pool of applicants for them to choose from for future recruitment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kuksoolgirl

Hey all, looking for a bit of advice.

- I applied in December 2019 for a trainee train driver post. I was successful at the psychometric testing at Atrium court.
- I then had a Managers Inverview at my local station and shortly after sent an email stating I had successfully passed the managers interview. It advised that although successful there was no jobs at present and I'd be placed in a pool for 6 months.
- I heard nothing until December 2022 asking me if I was still interested and to update any details.

Is anyone else in a similar situation? Is there any hope you think after such a long time in the reserve pool?

Thank you
Same thing happened me, although my tests and interview were in Aug 2019. I'm trying to work out if my psychometric test results still stand (they're within 5 years) , I believe the interview only had a short expiry like maybe 2 yrs. But not sure of the 5 years, if anyone can clarify?
Re reserve pool, as covid hit just at the end of my 6 months, they extended it til the end of the year. And then out of the blue , maybe 1 year ago asked if still interested. Think that's a dead duck though.
Seems like the format has now changed as 1st stage is now online.

delboy84

I'm becoming more and more confused. I applied in Dec '22 and recently received a number of emails asking for clarification that I was still interested, which included study material for assessments, and a note saying they will be back in touch soon with an assessment date. An assessment being at the assessment centre in Glasgow I assume.

Since then the new recruitment add has come out with new applicants being invited to undertake online assessments already.

Nothing about an online assessment was mentioned to me and I'm still waiting for a date to attend the centre. All very confusing. To clarify, it was only a matter of weeks ago that I received these emails.

Anyone else in the same boat or have an idea of what is going on?
Have you replied to the emails to (politely!) ask for an update? I replied with the dates I was on holiday so requested they avoid those dates. Took about a fortnight but got my date through pretty swiftly. I would send a polite chaser if I were you. The guy I was dealing with seemed friendly and accommodating.

RossMc

Have you replied to the emails to (politely!) ask for an update? I replied with the dates I was on holiday so requested they avoid those dates. Took about a fortnight but got my date through pretty swiftly. I would send a polite chaser if I were you. The guy I was dealing with seemed friendly and accommodating.
Yeah I have now. Was your date for an online assessment, or in person at the centre?

Thanks for the response.

WF4HA5HE

Hi RossMc,

I’m in a similar position, I initially applied back in 2019. Pretty sure I done some sort of online tests at the time, I never heard anything after that until dec 22 I received an email asking if I was still interested in the role and to update details etc. Didn’t hear anything again until last month I received another email asking if I was still interested and to update details. Then I received an email back with assessment practice paper attachment and told they would be back in touch with a date for assessment but haven’t heard anything since. It does give a little hope though after 5 years
Wow 2 years just to receive a follow up email. So I'm right to assume with the 2024 advert we are going to be in it for the long haul?

xPedro

How long would you normally expect to wait for a reply from the generic scotrail recruitment email address?

I sent an email on Thursday last week looking into an old application where I was successful in reaching the pool after an interview/testing etc. Thanks

WF4HA5HE

How long would you normally expect to wait for a reply from the generic scotrail recruitment email address?

I sent an email on Thursday last week looking into an old application where I was successful in reaching the pool after an interview/testing etc. Thanks
I think it really depends with a generic recruitment email because they will receive so many. I've had replies the next day before but then also waited a good 2 weeks or so on other occasions.

xPedro

I think it really depends with a generic recruitment email because they will receive so many. I've had replies the next day before but then also waited a good 2 weeks or so on other occasions.
Ah perfect. Trying not to refresh my emails every 10 minutes. Thanks for the reply mate.

delboy84

Yeah I have now. Was your date for an online assessment, or in person at the centre?

Thanks for the response.
That’s in person at the centre. The guide mentions that it’s possible to be given an interview at the same time, but when I queried this I was told it’s highly unlikely to be interviewed on the day of the first assessment. Looking forward to it but trying not to get excited!

Forgot to
That’s in person at the centre. The guide mentions that it’s possible to be given an interview at the same time, but when I queried this I was told it’s highly unlikely to be interviewed on the day of the first assessment. Looking forward to it but trying not to get excite
That’s in person at the centre. The guide mentions that it’s possible to be given an interview at the same time, but when I queried this I was told it’s highly unlikely to be interviewed on the day of the first assessment. Looking forward to it but trying not to get excited!
Forgot to say - my nearest depot is motherwell, so no doubt they will be bringing in people for assessment based on priority of staffing requirements by depot.

Crooky2

Has anyone who was at the assessment day at Atrium Court on Tuesday 12th of March heard anything back yet?
I received an email today. I passed all tests on 12th and got invited to an interview 26th March. I thought part 2 of the tests would be next.

I received an email today. I passed all tests on 12th and got invited to an interview 26th March. I thought part 2 of the tests would be next.
I'm sure they will email everyone. They did say they had a huge number of applicants.

Last edited:

bigtweedy77

I'm sure they will email everyone. They did say they had a huge number of applicants.
Well done. I'm the same. Email yesterday late morning. Passed all the tests, and interview on the 26th as well.

John Bishop

Hang tight, things are hectic at the moment. It used to be the case you would find out that day about stage 1 or certainly the next day, but there’s big numbers being processed at the momen.

You will have a Driver managers interview between stage 1 and 2.

RossMc

Hang tight, things are hectic at the moment. It used to be the case you would find out that day about stage 1 or certainly the next day, but there’s big numbers being processed at the momen.

You will have a Driver managers interview between stage 1 and 2.
Is the Drivers Manager interview based on who you are, what you know, why you want the job etc? Rather than competency based "tell me about a time when ....." type questions.

Trigger02

Hi folks,

I've had a look through the threads but couldn't find the answer so apologies in advance if this has already been covered. I was just wondering where people were through the process, I have done my stage 1 & Stage 2 assessments along with DTM & MMI interviews and got an email to say I had been successful and recruitment would be in touch to advise of next step. Just seeing if anyone was in the same boat?

Hi folks,

I've had a look through the threads but couldn't find the answer so apologies in advance if this has already been covered. I was just wondering where people were through the process, I have done my stage 1 & Stage 2 assessments along with DTM & MMI interviews and got an email to say I had been successful and recruitment would be in touch to advise of next step. Just seeing if anyone was in the same boat?
Congratulations! The next step will likely be a job offer. Once you accepted that, then some usual paperwork and application for a Disclosure Scotland check. Once all done, you will just wait for them to come up with a start date for you.

TriumphRat

Pretty much this but you'll also be invited for a medical. You'll likely get a conditional offer first, subject to your medical results.

station id

I'm the same. Completed the first online assessment and now been asked to do the situational awareness online assessment. I think the deadline is Tuesday.

LoogaBarooga

They're obviously doing things totally different this time. I did the situational judgement thing on the same day I did my second set of assessments and MMI.

A few internals I have spoken to have their DMI first before doing any of the tests.