• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rocky1807

Called them yesterday. Said they are still waiting on the feedback from some of the interviewers and because of the commonwealth games things are slower than normal so can be another couple of weeks but they will email all applicants this time rather than phone.

Darrenmtb

I tried to phone yesterday, but couldn't get through, so I emailed them and I got an e-mail back, saying that my application is currently under review, and they will contact me when they are able to move the vacancy forward.

bigal27

hey all I applied for Edinburgh and after my interview I got told in a couple of days my result. I understand that it is busy with the games etc, so that my take it a little longer for all that applied for Glasgow. My result wasn't what I wanted but could off been worse, passed the interview but due to how many people that did and how many jobs on offer I have been put into a reserve list/on hold. So be aware that even if you pass the interview you may not get the job.. good luck to everyone that applied in Glasgow.

scotraildriver

Established Member
Called them yesterday. Said they are still waiting on the feedback from some of the interviewers and because of the commonwealth games things are slower than normal so can be another couple of weeks but they will email all applicants this time rather than phone.

The HR recruitment team have been working at Dalmarnock station all week hence the hold ups. No need to worry!

Senshi

Got an email back, passed my dm interview but due to the amount of successful candidates I've been put on hold for upto 6 months until another vacancy arises, so it may not have happened this time but its going to happen and I'm chuffed to bits! Good luck to everyone else and good luck to those who got a start this time round!

Gee Gee

That's great news senshi, congrats buddy! I got my start date through last week so I'll let you know how the training is! Give you an idea of what to expect!!!!

Senshi

Cheers gee gee! Aye keep me posted, bit gutted I never got a place this intake but I can't really grumble considering I passed it all first attempt! So just hoping a place comes up soon :) enjoy your training ;)

Darrenmtb

Same here, sensei, not successful this time, and application on hold. Quite gutted really.

Darrenmtb

Cheers Skinny Dave, maybe I have misunderstood the "application on hold" trying to do some research into it now.

bigal27

Well done lads. It's good to no I'm not the only one that got that email. Let's just hope they take another intake soon.

Senshi

Listen, don't be disheartened, as skinnydave said there wouldve been literally thousands of applicants for the positions available, and we were lucky enough to make it through, eventhough we are on hold it can only be a good thing! Don't really know how it works from here, think there will be a chance of another trainee intake within 6 months or will I have to re-apply after the 6 months deadline?..and if so I'm presumming I won't have to resit the tests and interview as I've just passed them? If anyone could shed light on this situation then that would be appreciated!

DanTheMan

I've too been told my application is on hold and it sounds like I got the same email as some of you guys. I'm not getting too excited whatsoever as that is a standard type response when not successful upon application of a post. Really don't get your hopes up guys, I'm not.

DanTheMan

And Skinnydave, way I see it if we were successful then we wouldn't be put on hold. Not trying to be a pessimist, just trying to think rationally. I hope I'm wrong :o)

SkinnyDave

Established Member
You won't need to sit tests again Scotrail results are valid for 3 years unless changed

Gee Gee

I'm with senshi on this, anyone that can get to the interview stage have done amazing, to get told you were successful in the interview with the volume of applicants is something you should be very proud about! Hopefully it won't be long before you guys get the call and can get stuck into the training!!!

Darrenmtb

Really appreciating the feedback and information, felt a wee bit disheartened when I read the e-mail this afternoon, but you guys are right, we have all done amazingly well to get all the way through, and its been a lot of hard work and effort. Fingers crossed for some positions to become available in the future :)

Senshi

And Skinnydave, way I see it if we were successful then we wouldn't be put on hold. Not trying to be a pessimist, just trying to think rationally. I hope I'm wrong :o)

If that's the way you think then your very naïve, think about it, there was roughly 3000 applications for 32 trainee positions with GLC and Edinburgh Waverley, to even get to the DM Interview let alone pass it is a great achievement, and ofcourse there's going to be more than 32 people that passed. Not everyone can get the job, I for one would rather have a 'successful and on hold' email than a 'sorry not this time' email. At least there's a chance that if a trainee course comes up then some of us might get it!! Then again I'm a glass half full kind of person!

bigal27

You have to look at it as a plus, also you need to understand that there was internal applicants that probably if passed the test were guaranteed a position which makes it harder for us coming from the outside. Only time will tell what the future hold for us all. Just have to think positive.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
your are not trying to be pessimistic but just are ok..

I stand by what I said and its better being in your position rather than at start of process

bigal27

I no I would rather be where I am now having passed everything there is to pass. The rail industry are not the only people that put folk on hold or into a pool for future jobs. you'll find the fire service do the same, I spoke to Hr regarding if it goes passed the 6 months and got told if a job comes up after that period they will let us know if we need to apply again, ( just the initial application that is) all test are on record for 3 years so no need to do that again also they would speak to the managers at the depot we applied to find out if we would require another interview or not!! Hope this is of help to all. We just need to sit back and buy our time.

Jydo

Well done to all the guys who passed - great achievement, particularly the young senshi.......just need to wait & see what happens in the future lads

Think there were one or two candidates who passed all the stages over a year ago who just got start date letters a few weeks ago for this intake - hopefully u guys will be in the same position next time round.......

Senshi

Cheers jydo, never thought I'd stand a chance at 22 but proves anyone can do it if they apply themselfs! Hopefully no too long till a job offer, just glad the results stand for 3 years!

hiall

If you are on hold have the HR can call at anytime. I was in Barcelona when I got the call on the Wednesday, medical on the Monday and training started the following Monday.

Good luck folks and there are plenty of younger drivers Senshi. Great wage to have at that age as well.

gazza8

Well done to all the guys who passed - great achievement, particularly the young senshi.......just need to wait & see what happens in the future lads

Think there were one or two candidates who passed all the stages over a year ago who just got start date letters a few weeks ago for this intake - hopefully u guys will be in the same position next time round.......

Well done to all who made this stage, as a driver for many years i have been following this thread and its great to see the keen-ness of people trying to get into driving.

You guys done great to get to this stage out of all the applicants, however all it means is you passed all criteria and are deemed suitable for employment it is however NOT A GUARANTEE OF A START, i know many people both internal and external, who have had the same email, passed all elements but are still not on the plate or reapplied and were deemed not suitable after the 6 months lapsed.

Don't get me wrong some of you will hopefully get in. It may sound harsh but there is no benefit of people telling you false information

bigal27

Hey gazza8.

Cheers for the inside knowledge but I for sure understand it doesn't say or guarantee a job.

I feel what it does is show we have what it takes and could possibly be a good candidate for future employment with the company. To get to the stage we are at isn't a easy feet and feel we have done well to get to this stage but I'm also fully aware on how hard it is for external candidates to get the chance in front of internal. Unfortunately for us external, internal will always get looked at ahead due to there knowledge of the rail industry and company.

All that are on hold just have to wait and see what happens in the future and if nothing under the 6 month we just try again. having passed everything the only thing we may need to do again is the DM interview this was told to me from HR.. and that is only if the DM feels we need the interview again. stay positive all our time will come.