• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

AS1990

What kind of research would I be looking into please

Regarding the assessments, there is plenty info on the forums from past which is still relevant. There was a Group Bourdon tool on here (not sure if it’s still around) which was good. Alternatively you can download and print off sheets to help you practice.

Regarding the DMI, Research Scotrail as a whole. Routes, Tractions of the depot you are applying for. Take a trip down to your local station and try and catch a driver and ask a few questions about the role (This is something management want to see you doing).

Good Luck.

Hi folks,

New to the forum, probably like a few on here. I applied for the March 2024 intake, passed the application sift and online OPC tests, email on 24th April confirming this.

I have spoken to someone i know who has recently been through the process, can anyone who has passed recently confirm if the assessmemt centre test are as follows or if any have changed?

-Group bourdon test
-High tones and low tones, note how many you hear
-High tones and low tones, whilst using a mock phone book to find a given contact and record the high and low tones
-Dials and numbers and matching the numbers to the dials or similar
-Passage about something like a train engine or some random traim function and then having to fill in the missing words.

If successful a competency based interview on a different day and if successful at this stage, a further assessment day with 3 tests

- joy stick and keeping a ball on a track?
- grey box, click when black dot/mark/area appears and this is for a 30 minute period
-a hazard perception test, similar to drivinf theory test

Any tips would be appreciated and grateful, likewise if i can get anything else from my contact i will share.

Well done to those who havd already passed or are going through the process, and best of luck!
Yea this is the format. My advice is concentrate on one bit at a time. Don’t start worrying about your DMI, and doing research when you haven’t sat your first assessments yet.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

G_Scotland

Email today for assessments next week.

Nervy but going to spend the week practicing. The trainability for rules and procedures test is the one that I think has the potential to be tricky. Seems to be a test of your short term memory.

AaronDee1

Nervy but going to spend the week practicing. The trainability for rules and procedures test is the one that I think has the potential to be tricky. Seems to be a test of your short term memory.
What depot did you apply for

RossMc

You have plenty time to read the passage a couple of times. About 8 mins I think. I found it OK.

The audible tones whilst multi tasking I found the trickiest as your mind starts plating tricks on you as to whether you heard another tone or not. Ie was it 12 or 13 I need to write down.

ashttrain1

Thanks, yeah it was hard work but shouldn’t be long now. Got medical arranged for next week but still waiting for a start date.
At first assessment we were told the result is valid for 5 years, so would imagine if you passed with another TOC the result should still stand. Best of luck and hopefully you get an invite.
Basically if you pass the sift, it’s yours to lose. If you put in the work and research then it’s perfectly achievable.
Hi congrats! Can I ask how long it was between your first & second assessment days at the test centre? I have my first coming up but wondering what the gap was between first and second! Cheers

You have plenty time to read the passage a couple of times. About 8 mins I think. I found it OK.

The audible tones whilst multi tasking I found the trickiest as your mind starts plating tricks on you as to whether you heard another tone or not. Ie was it 12 or 13 I need to write down.
Hi mate. Have u sat ur second assessments? I have email for my first next week but wondering how long between the first & second assessments. Cheers

siweL

Afternoon, I’m currently waiting on my email for assessment date. Got the met the standard email May 25th. Anyone else applying for Aberdeen station? :)

Also for anyone who’s been and done the 1st assessment what would you focus on? I’ve been practicing the bourdoun testing a lot. Any hints or tips for the assessment day is greatly appreciated

ashttrain1

I have my second assessment date coming up. Just over a month apart from the first, with the DMI in between.
Sorry going to sound daft here what part is the DMI again? I’ve done both online assessments now to go to the centre in person for the first time next week. First time going through the process for me!

delboy84

Hi congrats! Can I ask how long it was between your first & second assessment days at the test centre? I have my first coming up but wondering what the gap was between first and second! Cheers

Hi mate. Have u sat ur second assessments? I have email for my first next week but wondering how long between the first & second assessments. Cheers
Thanks. First assessment was 19th March, and got the result next day. Waited 6 weeks for the DMI, then waited nearly a fortnight for the result. Then had 2nd assessment on 20th May and got the result on the day. Then move straight to MMI on the same day, and had to wait 3 days for the result of that. Now I’ve got medical this week and awaiting a start date. Every depot has different priority regarding requirement for trainees, so my timeline might not be the same as others. The waiting for results is brutal, but try to bear in mind no news is good news.

RossMc

Sorry going to sound daft here what part is the DMI again? I’ve done both online assessments now to go to the centre in person for the first time next week. First time going through the process for me!

If you first assessment day is successfull, you will then be invited to a panel interview at your local depot with a DTM (ie your potential new supervisor).

G_Scotland

Yeah this sounds tricky as well. There is a bit of the fear of the unknown with this as there is no real way of practicing.

The example they have sent out involves circling a specific symbol while someone else reads a passage to you and you are listening for a certain word so not quite the same thing.

Will just need to practice that and hope for the best!

KelvinM

Regarding the assessments, there is plenty info on the forums from past which is still relevant. There was a Group Bourdon tool on here (not sure if it’s still around) which was good. Alternatively you can download and print off sheets to help you practice.

Regarding the DMI, Research Scotrail as a whole. Routes, Tractions of the depot you are applying for. Take a trip down to your local station and try and catch a driver and ask a few questions about the role (This is something management want to see you doing).

Good Luck.

Yea this is the format. My advice is concentrate on one bit at a time. Don’t start worrying about your DMI, and doing research when you haven’t sat your first assessments yet.
Thanks alot, i just wanted a general ide of each stage, as you have said, one stage at a time.

I have contacted recruitment about timescalea, however they respondes that 1500 are through to the asseasment centre stage.

Dmcb

Thanks, yeah it was hard work but shouldn’t be long now. Got medical arranged for next week but still waiting for a start date.
At first assessment we were told the result is valid for 5 years, so would imagine if you passed with another TOC the result should still stand. Best of luck and hopefully you get an invite.
Basically if you pass the sift, it’s yours to lose. If you put in the work and research then it’s perfectly achievable.
I've been practicing the stage 1 material I have from the previous TOC just incase! Good luck for your medical and be sure to keep us posted on how the journey goes!

Got my your through to the next stage email but nothing further yet hoping soon though
What depot did you apply for yourself mate?

RossMc

Thanks alot, i just wanted a general ide of each stage, as you have said, one stage at a time.

I have contacted recruitment about timescalea, however they respondes that 1500 are through to the asseasment centre stage.

I applied in a dec 22 and have only just passed my DMI. Ie best prepare for the long run!

AaronDee1

I've been practicing the stage 1 material I have from the previous TOC just incase! Good luck for your medical and be sure to keep us posted on how the journey goes!

If I’m truly honest I’m not to sure it only asked me which train station was closest too me which is Lenzie so I assume Glasgow then?

delboy84

Passed medical yesterday, although the result of the drugs/alcohol test takes 7-10 days to come back. No concerns, just need to wait for it. Then hopefully I’ll get a start date and can finally give notice to my current employer, and watch all hell break loose!

AaronDee1

Passed medical yesterday, although the result of the drugs/alcohol test takes 7-10 days to come back. No concerns, just need to wait for it. Then hopefully I’ll get a start date and can finally give notice to my current employer, and watch all hell break loose!
Congrats man, I’m hoping I can be on the same boat as you hand the notice in and watch the place burn to the ground lol

DavidAtkin

Congratulations pal. That’s great news, may I ask why the alcohol/drug test takes so long? Anytime I’ve had 1s done with my current employer which is at least 5 a year it’s an instant result

Baz79

Well done mate
Congratulations you must be so happy

Congratulations pal. That’s great news, may I ask why the alcohol/drug test takes so long? Anytime I’ve had 1s done with my current employer which is at least 5 a year it’s an instant result
They might send there tests to labs
I’ve work at a place before that the urine test
Comes up clear straight away then
Goes to lab to be double checked .
Probably just the way they do it .

delboy84

The samples are sent away for analysis. They told me that in reality it should be quicker than that, however knowing how long each stage has taken it will probably be a couple of weeks unfortunately. I’ve got zero concerns about the result, just need to wait now until I get a start date.

DavidAtkin

The samples are sent away for analysis. They told me that in reality it should be quicker than that, however knowing how long each stage has taken it will probably be a couple of weeks unfortunately. I’ve got zero concerns about the result, just need to wait now until I get a start date.
Yeah well done bud. Waited this long so another couple of weeks won’t hurt. Congratulations again hopefully you get your start date soon

Yeah well done bud. Waited this long so another couple of weeks won’t hurt. Congratulations again hopefully you get your start date soon
Still waiting on first assessment date myself. Got the met the standard email about 3 weeks ago.

Jabbaheed

Hi mate, what did the medical consist of?

RossMc

I’ve been and spoke to drivers at my local station but the dtm was unavailable, still got loads of information from the drivers

I'd go back along if i was you. I think it's kind of expected and they WILL ask you what research you have done. Plus the DTM will likely give you some clues as to what you might want to be studying, show you the notice boards, explain the current campaigns, show you how the drivers complete their worksheets for the day and how to prevents errors etc. I visited two different DTMs and two depots and their input really helped me when I had the interview.