• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

C999

If that’s the case I would just wait it out. I was 15 months from applying until first assessment, so best settle in for a long wait. The online SJT seems to be just another method for screening the applications, after the initial sift. Unfortunately they don’t fill you in with timescales at any stage. Everyone keeps telling me nothing happens quickly in the railway!
Hi mate. I had my interview at Motherwell 6 weeks ago and got an email the following morning stating I had been successful. I have heard nothing since. I have emailed recruitment a couple of times and had no reply. How long did you have to wait from interview date to word of your second set of tests?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Has anyone from Perth that applied this year had an e mail asking them to do the practical tests yet?. I’ve had an e mail saying that I met the required standard etc. this was a while ago now. Thanks

jmccallion93

Has anyone from Perth that applied this year had an e mail asking them to do the practical tests yet?. I’ve had an e mail saying that I met the required standard etc. this was a while ago now. Thanks
In the same situation but Edinburgh based, expecting a long wait given that some people on here have only just received emails advising they have met the standard.

delboy84

Hi mate. I had my interview at Motherwell 6 weeks ago and got an email the following morning stating I had been successful. I have heard nothing since. I have emailed recruitment a couple of times and had no reply. How long did you have to wait from interview date to word of your second set of tests?

Thanks.

That’s great that you’ve passed the DMI. I had my DMI on 2nd May, took nearly 2 weeks to get the result, then had my 2nd assessment & MMI on 20th May. Took a couple of days after that to get the result. I’ve heard that motherwell is now at capacity, so they might have eased off with recruitment for motherwell for now. If that’s the cause I would imagine it’ll just be a delay, rather than a full stop. I’ve heard from various people that it’s taking forever for them to get back to people, so you’re definitely not the only one. It sounds like a massive recruitment drive being sat on the shoulders of a small team.

Kuksoolgirl

Hi, I've just received an email tonight for 1st set of tests at Atrium Court next Monday. Sat SJT by 31st March. Inverness based.

C999

That’s great that you’ve passed the DMI. I had my DMI on 2nd May, took nearly 2 weeks to get the result, then had my 2nd assessment & MMI on 20th May. Took a couple of days after that to get the result. I’ve heard that motherwell is now at capacity, so they might have eased off with recruitment for motherwell for now. If that’s the cause I would imagine it’ll just be a delay, rather than a full stop. I’ve heard from various people that it’s taking forever for them to get back to people, so you’re definitely not the only one. It sounds like a massive recruitment drive being sat on the shoulders of a small team.
Thanks for the reply mate. Any chance you can send me a PM. Thanks

mlammie21

It was with a relative of my other half who happens to be a DTM.

The other visit I literally just turned up and asked if it was possible to speak to a DTM. They were very accommodating and helped a lot.

Nice one. Did you apply previously?

The name rings a bell as my kids do Kuk Sool too. :o)
thanks ross!

ppp99

Thanks for the reply! Can I ask how you pre arranged the second visit?
I’m just back from central station, I just turned up and asked to speak to someone. Managed to speak with a lovely DTM who gave hints/tips and explained the process and role of a train driver.

mlammie21

I’m just back from central station, I just turned up and asked to speak to someone. Managed to speak with a lovely DTM who gave hints/tips and explained the process and role of a train driver.
Amazing! I am going to go this week to one of my local depot and see if someone would be able to speak to me. Still not heard anything about an interview date but just want to be prepared as they only gave me two days notice for second assessment date!

ppp99

Amazing! I am going to go this week to one of my local depot and see if someone would be able to speak to me. Still not heard anything about an interview date but just want to be prepared as they only gave me two days notice for second assessment date!
All the drivers have bright orange bags aswell so I spoke with a few that were in the station! My interview is on Thursday, originally they gave me less than 24 hours notice so I had to say no as couldn’t get the time off work, they easily rearranged so a good idea to be prepared just in case.

mlammie21

All the drivers have bright orange bags aswell so I spoke with a few that were in the station! My interview is on Thursday, originally they gave me less than 24 hours notice so I had to say no as couldn’t get the time off work, they easily rearranged so a good idea to be prepared just in case.
Oh good luck for Thursday! Is it central you are going to?

Kuksoolgirl

I applied Aug 19,
It was with a relative of my other half who happens to be a DTM.

The other visit I literally just turned up and asked if it was possible to speak to a DTM. They were very accommodating and helped a lot.

Nice one. Did you apply previously?

The name rings a bell as my kids do Kuk Sool too. :o)
Passed DMI and in reserve pool, covid happened, and they did extend reserve pool but obviously out of date now.

Kuk sool is amazing. Unfortunately due to work circumstances not been for a long time!!

ppp99

Oh good luck for Thursday! Is it central you are going to?
Yeh central station for the interview as that is my local so would be based there. It was in Edinburgh originally but they had to change it as I wouldn’t be based there

SNR

Can anyone confirm the order of the assessments/interviews? I read earlier on in the thread that someone had received an email saying that it had changed. Personally, I have only had the met the required standard and will be in touch email. If anyone could help clarify this, thanks.

G_Scotland

Hi everyone, I appreciate these things probably done to death but a couple of questions.

I sat my first assessments in Glasgow and was told I’d met the standard today and they’d been in touch for the next stage, which I believe is the DMI interview.

Looking to hit the ground running and get to a depot to try and speak to a driver.

When I applied the application form just asked me what my closest station was (Lanark), not the depot.

I had assumed my dmi would be at Motherwell but reading here they might have filled all those vacancies there so I wondered with that in mind which depot the dmi was likely to be at and which one I should aim to visit? I’m within 45 minute travel time from Airdie, Bathgate, shields as well as Motherwell. Do they tend to use one depot more than others for the dmi interview?

I’ve sat tonight and wrote some questions out that I’d ask but was wondering if there was any specific questions I definitely should be asking.

Last edited:

RossMc

Hi everyone, I appreciate these things probably done to death but a couple of questions.

I sat my first assessments in Glasgow and was told I’d met the standard today and they’d been in touch for the next stage, which I believe is the DMI interview.

Looking to hit the ground running and get to a depot to try and speak to a driver.

When I applied the application form just asked me what my closest station was (Lanark), not the depot.

I had assumed my dmi would be at Motherwell but reading here they might have filled all they vacancies there so I wondered with that in mind which depot the dmi was likely to be at and which one I should aim to visit? I’m within 45 minute travel time from Airdie, Bathgate, shields as well as Motherwell. Do they tend to use one depot more than others for the dmi interview?

I’ve sat tonight and wrote some questions out that I’d ask but was wondering if there was any specific questions I definitely should be asking.

I had my 2nd stage assessment and MMI a couple of weeks ago and we were told at that point that Motherwell was at capacity (for the time being).

Airdrie was suggested to a guy who had his hopes on Motherwell. Unfortunately he didn't pass the assessment.

There was 9 vacancies at Bathgate at that time.

Feel free to PM me if you wish.

G_Scotland

I had my 2nd stage assessment and MMI a couple of weeks ago and we were told at that point that Motherwell was at capacity (for the time being).

Airdrie was suggested to a guy who had his hopes on Motherwell. Unfortunately he didn't pass the assessment.

Thank you, I’ll drop you a PM.

siweL

This will be random as it’s slightly further north than those stations, but you wouldn’t know the vacancies at Dundee and Aberdeen do you mate?

ASL

Got my met the standard email about 6 weeks ago and still not received anything since. Anyone else on the same boat?
Yes, patience is a virtue though.
But I, like so many others, will be checking my emails daily waiting for that email.

KGD1994

Thanks alot, i just wanted a general ide of each stage, as you have said, one stage at a time.

I have contacted recruitment about timescalea, however they respondes that 1500 are through to the asseasment centre stage.
Do you have the email address bud? I sent an email and got radio silence.

Chaz15

Can anyone confirm if the new Leven station is a depot? just curious as I'd be just about within the 45 mins from it

Jabbaheed

Got my first assessment day coming up next week.

Does anyone have any tips for practicing the tone while reading a phone book? Think I’m going to struggle with that

RossMc

Got my first assessment day coming up next week.

Does anyone have any tips for practicing the tone while reading a phone book? Think I’m going to struggle with that

That was the trickiest bit for me. Mind plays tricks on you. Ie was if 12 or 13 tones I need to write down.