• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

RossMc

Are you allowed to write it down?
Write what down? Each time you hear a tone? No idea. You will be too busy scanning the sheet for the other info and marking that, without time to take a note of tones I'd imagine. You could prob use your fingers I suppose.

I cant really remember exactly how it went, but i know I found it the hardest of all the assessments on that day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Slow Seline

I’ve been invited along next Thursday, and was wondering what the vibe is like in the assessment centre. Do they have staff who chat away to you, taking notes, etc, or is it just a conveyer belt of people doing the assessments - and they only care about the results at this stage?

Scotrail84

Established Member
You will be asked to wait in the main reception area along with all the other candidates who are doing the assessment with you. Theres up to 15-20 people per assessment. You will then be taken into a more private waiting area by the assessor where you can relax and get water and use the W/C facilities if need be. Your group will then be taken into the 'classroom' area and you'll be asked to take seat wherever you want and then the assessor will explain everything thats going to happen that day. You will have all your ID documents checked and then after the assessor has taken you through the fire alarm stuff etc you'll get right into the assessments. Everything is explained on the day, just make sure you're paying attention. If you are not sure of anything at all then just ask, the assessors are happy to help or give a more detailed explanation if required.

Good luck.

Slow Seline

You will be asked to wait in the main reception area along with all the other candidates who are doing the assessment with you. Theres up to 15-20 people per assessment. You will then be taken into a more private waiting area by the assessor where you can relax and get water and use the W/C facilities if need be. Your group will then be taken into the 'classroom' area and you'll be asked to take seat wherever you want and then the assessor will explain everything thats going to happen that day. You will have all your ID documents checked and then after the assessor has taken you through the fire alarm stuff etc you'll get right into the assessments. Everything is explained on the day, just make sure you're paying attention. If you are not sure of anything at all then just ask, the assessors are happy to help or give a more detailed explanation if required.

Good luck.
Thanks. Much appreciated.

optimist21

Has anyone from Perth that applied this year had an e mail asking them to do the practical tests yet?. I’ve had an e mail saying that I met the required standard etc. this was a while ago now. Thanks
You had your success email well before mine but I'm in the same boat, no contact since for the assessments. I do know that there are no spare links at Perth at the moment, so it's probably lower in the priority order of getting assessments done. I imagine they will focus on the depots with vacancies first

Slow Seline

Has anyone been given an assessment/MMI/DMI date for the position of Scotrail Trainee Driver, and had to contact them as they can’t make the date?

Are they understanding towards this and quickly provide a replacement date, or do you end up at the back of the list and waiting months for another chance?

Class2ldn

Established Member
If they've got other dates they may try to fit you in but if not you'll more then likely have to reapply when another position comes up so it's important you do your best to make the date given as there's no guarantee you'll be given any others

RossMc

Has anyone been given an assessment/MMI/DMI date for the position of Scotrail Trainee Driver, and had to contact them as they can’t make the date?

Are they understanding towards this and quickly provide a replacement date, or do you end up at the back of the list and waiting months for another chance?

I know someone who couldn't make it, and was given a date a week later.

If you can't make it you cant make it. Not much you can do other than ask and hope.

kieran214

Hi, has anyone from the falkirk area had their dates yet I got the congratulations email on the 25th of April but haven't heard since

Scottt

Got my met the standard email about 6 weeks ago and still not received anything since. Anyone else on the same boat?
Hi David, I got my met the standards email about the same time as you and I'm still waiting. its more the fear of missing it in case it ends up in junk.

Baz79

Hi, My name is Liam.

I sat my DMI at perth station 9 weeks ago and havent heard a thing since. I was told at interview that i would hear back within 2 to 4 weeks.

I have tried contacting recruitment but no luck so far. Anyone else waited this long?

Thanks
Hi
Did you hear back yet ?
Cheers

BRIO MW

Thanks for the info. How many assessments did they do with you?

These one’s
What tests will I take?

- Group Bourdon
- Trainability for Rules and Procedures Parts 1 and 2
- Test of Everyday Attention (Tea-Occ

Kuksoolgirl

Thanks for the info. How many assessments did they do with you?

These one’s
What tests will I take?

- Group Bourdon
- Trainability for Rules and Procedures Parts 1 and 2
- Test of Everyday Attention (Tea-Occ
Yep, those 4. If you practise it's a great help. You can buy, download and print the group bourdon tests £12 ish. Trainability with dials pretty straightforward, and TEA OCC pretty straightforward. As I mentioned, getting technical details and trying to memorise, with that kind of multiple choice that throws you a bit, is probably the most worrying imo.

You get a few practice questions so you understand whats required, and can ask questions (before the test starts)

BRIO MW

Yep, those 4. If you practise it's a great help. You can buy, download and print the group bourdon tests £12 ish. Trainability with dials pretty straightforward, and TEA OCC pretty straightforward. As I mentioned, getting technical details and trying to memorise, with that kind of multiple choice that throws you a bit, is probably the most worrying imo.

You get a few practice questions so you understand whats required, and can ask questions (before the test starts)
Thank you for the information, much appreciated.

Sorry to bother you again. Which group bourdon tests for practicing on did you purchase?

Last edited:

Kuksoolgirl

Thank you for the information, much appreciated.

Sorry to bother you again. Which group bourdon tests for practicing on did you purchase?

This is the one I downloaded.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240626_220028_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240626_220028_Chrome.jpg
    562.7 KB · Views: 5

mlammie21

Had my DMI today. Last part of the process as I have passed both assessment days. Feel like it went OK. Was told I will hear within 2 weeks so just a nervous wait now to hear either way

garto123

The second assessments were very different to the first, all computer-based. Reaction test was quite easy because all you’ve got to do is stare at the screen for half an hour and react to a grey square turning black. Memory test I found hard because a photo flashes up for literally a second, and you’ve got to answer what you see in the photo. Then the test for keeping the balls in the lines is hard. The joysticks are really sensitive. I thought I had failed that one, but thankfully passed them.

MMI I thought was more relaxed and informal than the DMI, and because I was being questioned on my own answers to 6 situational questions I didn’t feel under too much pressure.
Most stressful part was when they said “you’ll receive an email this afternoon with the result” but then had to wait 3 days to hear! Got the email last night to say I’ve passed. Over the moon.
What were the first lot of tests like?. Is that the dots and dials?. Well done in passing mate, I can only imagine how happy you are

hepburn40

I had my DMI over 2 weeks ago but haven't heard anything since. I know they can take a while issuing assessment dates but has anyone not head back after doing the DMI interview?

I was told at the interview I'd hear within 2 weeks and to contact HR if I didn't. I emailed HR on Monday, no reply. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

BRIO MW