• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

delboy84

Any word yet ?
No still nothing. Just checked my emails and I sent a chaser on 26th March which was nearly two weeks ago, with no reply. The email notifying me that I passed the assessment basically said “I will be in touch shortly” so I thought it would be fairly quick. I suppose they’ll be prioritising depots that need drivers urgently. When I was at Motherwell they said they’ve already got quite a lot of trainees started. It’s possible I could get another depot, but motherwell is the closest to me.

marcy

Hope there is room for more trainees !!!

No still nothing. Just checked my emails and I sent a chaser on 26th March which was nearly two weeks ago, with no reply. The email notifying me that I passed the assessment basically said “I will be in touch shortly” so I thought it would be fairly quick. I suppose they’ll be prioritising depots that need drivers urgently. When I was at Motherwell they said they’ve already got quite a lot of trainees started. It’s possible I could get another depot, but motherwell is the closest to me.
Still no date ?

Last edited:

marcy

Still no date You heard anything? Are you hoping for Motherwell too?
That’s 4 weeks now. I’ve spoken to the couple of people I know who work for ScotRail, and both said nothing happens quickly. Just need to wait it out.
Nothing yet , was hoping something a bit closer than Motherwell , as you say just need to wait

delboy84

I went Yoker today and hope to visit Motherwell soon!
I’m hoping for a visit to Yoker too, but my contact said best wait until I’ve got a date for interview first because they’re inundated right now.
If I was a betting man I would estimate they’ve got enough lined up for training right now, and probably won’t need any more at least until the next classroom-based training course has finished. However, I still would have expected to be interviewed and subsequently sit the 2nd assessment to effectively pass into the talent pool awaiting a start. I wouldn’t mind having a date for interview months in advance if that’s how long it’s going to take. It’s just frustrating not knowing anything but keen as mustard to jump ship.

RossMc

I’m hoping for a visit to Yoker too, but my contact said best wait until I’ve got a date for interview first because they’re inundated right now.
If I was a betting man I would estimate they’ve got enough lined up for training right now, and probably won’t need any more at least until the next classroom-based training course has finished. However, I still would have expected to be interviewed and subsequently sit the 2nd assessment to effectively pass into the talent pool awaiting a start. I wouldn’t mind having a date for interview months in advance if that’s how long it’s going to take. It’s just frustrating not knowing anything but keen as mustard to jump ship.

100%. I was told I am scheduled to have my first assessment mid/end April. Still not heard anything else despite it being the 19th. Frustrating is an understatement.

gogendantes

Hi everyone, been a while since I was last on here. So, I failed the DMI back in December and, after many attempts to get any sort of response from the recruitment team, I was advised I would be able to redo the DMI in June. That's fast approaching but I'm wondering what on earth I can do to prepare, as the policy is to give no feedback. How do I improve when I don't know where to improve? I've spoken to drivers, so I have a good level of basic knowledge about the role. Part of me feels like this has all been part of the assessment to see if I'm committed enough to go through with it (due to my circumstances, the interview manager admitted that was his main concern). I mentioned this to a friend who had a similar experience with another organisation and they said that if the company aren't sure about a candidate they'll do that to make sure they have the dedication to the role before taking them further. However, another part of me feels this is wishful thinking!
My original DMI was a little bit...different to what was advertised too, so I'm feeling a little bit lost/confused aver the whole thing!
Any advice appreciated.

Samsanbor

You stated this:

"Part of me feels like this has all been part of the assessment to see if I'm committed enough to go through with it (due to my circumstances, the interview manager admitted that was his main concern)."

Despite you haven't received a post-interview feedback seems to me you have been clearly told from the manager on the day about his "main" concern about your suitability to the role.

Ask yourself where this concern can come from, this can be a valuable feedback.

Remember the DMI is also your chance to sell yourself to a new company; even if you think to be a good fit, don't make that interview to sound like all the others.
Try to be unique and be yourself at the same time.

Best of luck for your next attempt when it comes.

gogendantes

You stated this:

"Part of me feels like this has all been part of the assessment to see if I'm committed enough to go through with it (due to my circumstances, the interview manager admitted that was his main concern)."

Despite you haven't received a post-interview feedback seems to me you have been clearly told from the manager on the day about his "main" concern about your suitability to the role.

Ask yourself where this concern can come from, this can be a valuable feedback.

Remember the DMI is also your chance to sell yourself to a new company; even if you think to be a good fit, don't make that interview to sound like all the others.
Try to be unique and be yourself at the same time.

Best of luck for your next attempt when it comes.
Thanks Samsanbor, that's very helpful. I thought it an odd comment at the time given the circumstances, but I'll give it some thought and will work on this for next time. Fingers crossed as I'm still very disappointed to miss out on the first time!