• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail - Trainee Train Driver - Kyle of Lochalsh (22/07/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Val3ntine

In the event that they do allow a relocated person to assume the role, like many other TOCS, it may just be the case that the more local applicants did not meet the criteria they were looking for. Or lo and behold, they may not even have received any applications from anyone within 45mins, which may not be too hard to believe if it is such a small secluded village as been described. Unlikely to be the case for such a position, granted, but still can’t be excluded.

TOCs will always want the best applicant for the position as will any company who recruits. With train driver positions, even more strictly, no criteria will ever be sacrificed and will likely get someone in from the South East/West country/Anglia etc who can do a strong enough application and pass all the required stages to high enough levels rather than someone who lives a 5 min walk away who perhaps cannot.

Please can we keep any further discussions relevant only to the advertised job, and any discussions regarding jobs being reserved for locals/relocations can be given it’s own new thread.
Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Anyone who wishes to discuss drivers (or others!) moving to areas and potentially raising house prices please continue to discuss in this thread

Otherwise please can we keep the discussion to the vacancy - relocating or not.

ER158715

For those interested, there are currently 6 drivers in Kyle and a seventh in training. The depot has two jobs- early shift works the 0611 to Inverness, PNB then 1056 back to Kyle. Backshift takes the 1208 to Inverness and back with 1754. No Sundays during the winter- from memory they work Sundays from May till Sept/Oct. Traction is 158 only and they only sign to Inverness and that’s it. As others have said, beautiful in the summer but not huge amounts to do in the winter and yes, it can be stormy! Personally, no way I could drive it as my only route- I prefer the variety but each to their own.

PudseyBearHST

For those interested, there are currently 6 drivers in Kyle and a seventh in training. The depot has two jobs- early shift works the 0611 to Inverness, PNB then 1056 back to Kyle. Backshift takes the 1208 to Inverness and back with 1754. No Sundays during the winter- from memory they work Sundays from May till Sept/Oct. Traction is 158 only and they only sign to Inverness and that’s it. As others have said, beautiful in the summer but not huge amounts to do in the winter and yes, it can be stormy! Personally, no way I could drive it as my only route- I prefer the variety but each to their own.
Do they usually only recruit from trainees at these small depots- Kyle/Fort William/Oban/Mallaig? Or do they recruit for Qualified drivers as well?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Do they usually only recruit from trainees at these small depots- Kyle/Fort William/Oban/Mallaig? Or do they recruit for Qualified drivers as well?
In the last couple of years I've seen adverts for both at the small depots but that's the first time I'd seen any sort of advert for them in years

That said, I wasn't really looking and it's only what I saw posted on this forum!

I bet they’d get plenty of qualified drivers apply for that if advertised.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I bet they’d get plenty of qualified drivers apply for that if advertised.
Really?
One route, one traction, doing the same train day in day out. Can't see that appealing to that many qualified drivers with even a slightly varied route cars

ER158715

If you want variety up here, Inverness is the depot for that. Four routes (down to Perth, Over to Aberdeen, West to Kyle and North to Lairg/Wick- link depending) and 158/170/HST traction wise.

Really?
One route, one traction, doing the same train day in day out. Can't see that appealing to that many qualified drivers with even a slightly varied route cars
It depends on their outlook. To many a train is a train, no matter where they take it, it all becomes a bit samey given time. Some would prefer fewer routes and traction. There are certainly many worse shifts than those and the routine it would give would be difficult to find elsewhere. No early early shifts and no late finishes. Horses for courses, but I’d imagine it would appeal to a good few, although I might be wrong.

craigybagel

Established Member
If you want variety up here, Inverness is the depot for that. Four routes (down to Perth, Over to Aberdeen, West to Kyle and North to Lairg/Wick- link depending) and 158/170/HST traction wise.
Doesn't everybody go to Wick then? I'll need to update the driver route card page....

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Doesn't everybody go to Wick then? I'll need to update the driver route card page....
I think, in fairness, if you went back through and qualified every "link dependent" route you'd be still doing it this time next year!

craigybagel

Established Member
I think, in fairness, if you went back through and qualified every "link dependent" route you'd be still doing it this time next year!
Fair point! But I do try and include links as much as possible - if only to give prospective trainees and qualifieds transferring in an idea of what to expect, and indeed to manage expectations if there's a certain route they want to do (like how there's no point a new starter at LNER Newcastle expecting to be going to Inverness for many many years!).

Elwyn

In my opinion the employer must choose applicants on the basis of who has the best skills. They aren’t interested in where you were born or where you live (except insofar as it affects your ability to get to your place of work). Are you the best candidate, based on your technical and other skills is really the simple issue. There are systems for verifying identity and any right of residence in the UK etc, as well as medical and other aspects but they are separate to the interview process. I really wouldn’t worry about potentially affecting “locals” right to jobs. Reserving jobs for locals (whatever that means) is illegal. The UK population is changing dramatically. An enormous percentage of the Scottish population today were born outside Scotland (something that probably has affected the SNP’s hopes of independence). What does being a local mean? Define that. It’s nonsense. Anyway it’s not something an employer will take into account.

Highlandspring

Established Member
I really wouldn’t worry about potentially affecting “locals” right to jobs. Reserving jobs for locals (whatever that means) is illegal. The UK population is changing dramatically. An enormous percentage of the Scottish population today were born outside Scotland (something that probably has affected the SNP’s hopes of independence). What does being a local mean? Define that. It’s nonsense. Anyway it’s not something an employer will take into account.
We’ve already been asked nicely to discuss this in a seperate thread but, briefly, the plight of young people growing up in Scotland’s rural communities with the dearth of stable (i.e. not seasonal) well paid jobs and chronic lack of affordable housing, either because of relatively wealthy incomers or the Air B&B apocalypse, is a massive talking point in Scotland at the moment.

It has absolutely nothing to do with either side the independence debate and bringing that up as a point just shows that you don’t grasp the real problem, which is that crap employment prospects and no chance of ever buying or renting a house add up to young people having to leave the places their homes and families never to return. The same issue is affecting rural communities in Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and parts of Wales and Ireland; it’s not a uniquely Scottish phenomenon.

Anyway, rant over.

John Bishop

Really?

I don’t see much of a difference from an LNER KX driver who only signs Azumas and only drives the same route to Newcastle everyday.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I don’t see much of a difference from an LNER KX driver who only signs Azumas and only drives the same route to Newcastle everyday.
Do they not also sign Leeds? And a depot? Differing stopping patterns?
It's variety, however minimal

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
It is a trainee post, say there are a thousand applications and a hundred are suitable, how could the 'winner' be selected? Many applicants could be rejected as over-qualified.

l think enjoying the landscape,weather, seasons from the cab would be wonderful, less fatiguing over many years than driving in London.

As for booking on to drive the 06:11 in winter: certainly beats finishing at 02:00 one day and starting at 03:00 a couple of days later, as mentioned by drivers elsewhere.

ER158715

That’s correct about Inverness links. Only link 1 and a couple of volunteers from link 3 (the same link that sign the 08) sign Wick. All of Link 2 and remainder of 3 only sign as far as Lairg.

craigybagel

Established Member
That’s correct about Inverness links. Only link 1 and a couple of volunteers from link 3 (the same link that sign the 08) sign Wick. All of Link 2 and remainder of 3 only sign as far as Lairg.
Cheers, I've updated the drivers route card thread accordingly.

Having spent over a year driving only one route due to Covid restrictions, I recently learnt a second. It's only a fraction the length of the first, and it only features two stations, but it's been a breath of fresh air all the same. It might not be the same for everyone, but I suspect for a lot of drivers some variety helps in the job.

And as mentioned above, KX do have some degree of variety. Leeds and Newcastle, also Lincoln, plus some diversion routes as well. And there's a degree of bringing trains on and off the depot, which might not seem the midst exciting but it can make a nice change from going out on the mainline, and involves using different skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.