• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish Citylink

Is there a price for a walk up single ticket on the 900 between Glasgow and Edinburgh? Don't really fancy using the outdated Citylink website to book.
The website shows £8.50 for buying online which I believe is the same price you'd pay on the bus. It's definitely somewhere between £7 and £9 anyway (for a single; return is £10).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Is there a price for a walk up single ticket on the 900 between Glasgow and Edinburgh? Don't really fancy using the outdated Citylink website to book.
It's £10 return walk up price. Single is a bit less. You can book on megabus.com but it's an advance ticket valid on service you book for. I always buy £10 return, more flexible.

Citylink's website is very poor not changed for years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
It continues to amaze me how poor the website is. It hasn't actually been updated for over 13 years since at least 2008.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Thanks all, the walk up single was £8.50

Was also able to see one of the ex Oxford Astromegas, which look very smart in their new colours.7FF8F875-5BC2-47E9-A648-8636A744B400.jpeg

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
I think the Panthers are slowly being ousted. There are also old NX Caetanos on the same routes.
Latest fleetcard shows only 2 Panthers left in service at Perth - 54124 and 54129.

50261 is based at Cowdenbeath, and does one run on the M90 to Edinburgh in AM, and one in PM, and acts as a spare vehicle in Edinburgh in between.

50262-50266 (Vanhools) and 50445-50454 (Panoramas) are based out of Perth and are used on the M8/M9/M90/M92/909. However, some 3 stay overnight in Inverness and 2 stay overnight in Aberdeen.

The ex-NX Caetanos are Parks of Hamilton vehicles.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Latest fleetcard shows only 2 Panthers left in service at Perth - 54124 and 54129.

50261 is based at Cowdenbeath, and does one run on the M90 to Edinburgh in AM, and one in PM, and acts as a spare vehicle in Edinburgh in between.

50262-50266 (Vanhools) and 50445-50454 (Panoramas) are based out of Perth and are used on the M8/M9/M90/M92/909. However, some 3 stay overnight in Inverness and 2 stay overnight in Aberdeen.

Thanks for clearing that one up! It is remarkable how the coaches actually get around during the day. Also is it me or are Citylink and Megabus doing a lot more joint work as of late? The Six Cities livery has a small Megabus logo on the doors.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Thanks for clearing that one up! It is remarkable how the coaches actually get around during the day. Also is it me or are Citylink and Megabus doing a lot more joint work as of late? The Six Cities livery has a small Megabus logo on the doors.
Citylink and Megabus are basically the same thing in Scotland - although I'm sure someone can clear up the legalities of it (if they haven't been done to death in this thread already). They all (should) operate under the Scottish Citylink brand, bar the Parks of Hamilton journeys which are specifically contracted to/operated by them.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Citylink and Megabus are basically the same thing in Scotland - although I'm sure someone can clear up the legalities of it (if they haven't been done to death in this thread already). They all (should) operate under the Scottish Citylink brand, bar the Parks of Hamilton journeys which are specifically contracted to/operated by them.

The funny part is, to the common traveller they don't realize that Citylink and Megabus are practically owned by the same company.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Also is it me or are Citylink and Megabus doing a lot more joint work as of late? The Six Cities livery has a small Megabus logo on the doors.
Megabus don't operate anything wholly within Scotland, the only routes in Scotland they have are those that operate down to London (M11 & M20). The likes of the M8, M9, M90, M91 & M92 are entirely Citylink routes and nothing to do with Megabus, the only reason for the M series number was to simplify things and to highly the fact they could be booked through the Megabus website.
The funny part is, to the common traveller they don't realize that Citylink and Megabus are practically owned by the same company.
They're not. Megabus is entirely Stagecoach whereas Citylink is a joint venture between ComfortDelGro and Stagecoach. Stagecoach only have 35% ownership of Citylink, whereas ComfortDelGro have 65%.

overthewater

Established Member
Just to point out Technically Parks of Hamilton journeys are legally owned by Parks and are not specifically contracted to them.

4 February 2008

Citylink confirms partial divestment of intercity coach services
Scottish Citylink Coaches Limited, a joint venture between international transport group ComfortDelGro and Stagecoach, today (4 February 2008) confirmed it has completed the divestment of a proportion of its inter-citycoach services in Scotland.

A number of Saltire Cross services - which link Aberdeen, Glasgow,Inverness and Edinburgh - have been sold to Parks of Hamilton (CoachHirers) Limited.

The divestment follows the Competition Commission's confirmation in May 2007 of its earlier ruling in October 2006 that some services on the Saltire Cross network should be divested.

Scottish Citylink is the leading provider of express coach services in Scotland, linking around 200 towns and cities and carrying more than 3 million passengers a year.

Stagecoach owns 35% of the share capital of Scottish Citylink Coaches Limited and ComfortDelGro owns the remaining 65%.

Tom Wileman , Managing Director of Scottish Citylink Coaches Ltd, said:"We are pleased that the agreement allows customers to access and book the full range of Scottish inter-city coach services through the citylink.co.uk and megabus.com websites and to benefit from an integrated timetable.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Just to point out Technically Parks of Hamilton journeys are legally owned by Parks and are not specifically contracted to them.

Unrelated, but that Citylink Gold advert at the side still refers to it being new... thats kinda funny.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

They're not. Megabus is entirely Stagecoach whereas Citylink is a joint venture between ComfortDelGro and Stagecoach. Stagecoach only have 35% ownership of Citylink, whereas ComfortDelGro have 65%.

The key word that @Scotrail314209 uses is practically. While Stagecoach only has a 35% stake in Citylink, I think it's fair to say that the integration between it and Megabus, and the fact that vehicles in either livery can turn up, would lead the average punter to believe that they are wholly owned by the same organisation. Let's not be splitting hairs here!

What time is the Cowdenbeath working please?

MotCO

Established Member
I'm curious to know - what's the reason that the new Citylink Gold livery is now half blue and yellow and half gold at the front with largely blue interiors compared to the photos of the previous Gold coaches I've seen?

Is that on Stagecoach vehicles? If so, are they the Panoramas ordered for the Oxford Tube routes, but some of which are now being used in Scotland?

route101

Established Member
I also have noticed 21 plate Panoramas, in normal livery

Is that on Stagecoach vehicles? If so, are they the Panoramas ordered for the Oxford Tube routes, but some of which are now being used in Scotland?
I thought the gold on the Panoramas denotes its a gold bus. When the gold services restart they will move onto them routes.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Is there a date for the G routes to start again?

Prior to this lockdown, they were still running the G routes but with no refreshments. I'd hope they'd restart in Summer.

I'm curious to know - what's the reason that the new Citylink Gold livery is now half blue and yellow and half gold at the front with largely blue interiors compared to the photos of the previous Gold coaches I've seen?

I think Citylink opted for a standard interior on their Plaxton Panoramas, the only difference with the Gold vehicles is a small kitchen and extra tables on the upper deck.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Is there a date for the G routes to start again?
Prior to this lockdown, they were still running the G routes but with no refreshments. I'd hope they'd restart in Summer.
The G routes still run, just with a M prefix instead. That is, with the exception of all "G9" journeys and the 1825 "G92" from Edinburgh to Aberdeen, and 1845 "G92" from Aberdeen to Edinburgh, which are not running presently

overthewater

Established Member
Don't they have to reemploy staff, if they wish to re-instate the refreshments?

Last edited by a moderator:

route101

Established Member
The G routes still run, just with a M prefix instead. That is, with the exception of all "G9" journeys and the 1825 "G92" from Edinburgh to Aberdeen, and 1845 "G92" from Aberdeen to Edinburgh, which are not running presently
Yes, I noticed more M10 services from Glasgow, prior to Covid there was only one or two M10 a day.