• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish Citylink

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

M803UYA

East Scotland..
Not just there, there's the Falcon coach service in the South West which is still using it's original 65 plate coaches, plus Oxford Tube which has had a fleet replacement in past couple of years. Evidently Stagecoach needs to make a larger (national) order for a number of operations. Time will tell if they do so.

PaulMc7

Established Member
How busy has the 902 been? I've been using Stagecoach via Dunfermline from Glasgow to go to Livingston and I'm considering a visit to Livingston soon just for somewhere different to shop, so it would be good to know how busy the bus is.

The 11-plate ex-Park's B13RT that Edinburgh Coach Lines has has just re-entered service with a new gearbox, despite panels being loose everywhere and in a state of disrepair. According to the driver it was only out because the allocated vehicle broke down, their Neoplan Tourliner.

Pictured is the aforementioned heap of a vehicle, OIG1543, a Volvo B13RT/Plaxton Panther 2 waiting at Stirling University for its return journey.

Attachments

• IMG20230506170408.jpg
    IMG20230506170408.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 115
The 11-plate ex-Park's B13RT that Edinburgh Coach Lines has has just re-entered service with a new gearbox, despite panels being loose everywhere and in a state of disrepair. According to the driver it was only out because the allocated vehicle broke down, their Neoplan Tourliner.

Pictured is the aforementioned heap of a vehicle, OIG1543, a Volvo B13RT/Plaxton Panther 2 waiting at Stirling University for its return journey.
Thought that was dead.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Stagecoach West Scotland have received a number of 63 plate Interdecks. These are supposedly due to be replacing some of the older Astromegas due to reliability issues.

Not just there, there's the Falcon coach service in the South West which is still using it's original 65 plate coaches, plus Oxford Tube which has had a fleet replacement in past couple of years. Evidently Stagecoach needs to make a larger (national) order for a number of operations. Time will tell if they do so.
If we're being honest it's not an issue unique to Fife, group wide the coach fleet is pretty ancient now. Staying on topic... It would be nice to see a new batch of Panoramas at West Scotland for the M9. I'm not really sure replacing the Astromegas with older Interdecks is the best of ideas, the five Interdecks at Aberdeen used on the M92 are in laughable condition when compared to the vehicles used by competing operators.

Stagecoach West Scotland have received a number of 63 plate Interdecks. These are supposedly due to be replacing some of the older Astromegas due to reliability issues.

If we're being honest it's not an issue unique to Fife, group wide the coach fleet is pretty ancient now. Staying on topic... It would be nice to see a new batch of Panoramas at West Scotland for the M9. I'm not really sure replacing the Astromegas with older Interdecks is the best of ideas, the five Interdecks at Aberdeen used on the M92 are in laughable condition when compared to the vehicles used by competing operators.
54212-17 Going To West and 54201/2/7/8 are going to Elgin.

More Panoramas would be great but its a shame they no longer make them.

Last edited:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
54212-17 Going To West and 54201/2/7/8 are going to Elgin.
I'll believe that when it happens. Elgin bus station isn't suitable for 15 metre coaches, there are also meant to be new coaches on order for the M96.
More Panoramas would be great but its a shame the no longer make them.
They do, just no one has bought them.

I'll believe that when it happens. Elgin bus station isn't suitable for 15 metre coaches, there are also new coaches on order for the M96.

They do, just no one has bought them.
My apologies was lead to believe they had stop making them And apparently there for the M96 but we will just need to wait and See.

Sirius

How busy has the 902 been? I've been using Stagecoach via Dunfermline from Glasgow to go to Livingston and I'm considering a visit to Livingston soon just for somewhere different to shop, so it would be good to know how busy the bus is.
Not particularly scientific but I’ve used it three times (once to the airport in the afternoon, and twice from the airport 1x afternoon, 1x evening) and it’s not very busy. The odd free bus pass journey from Livingston to Airdrie, or Airdrie to Coatbridge.

Nawm8

Driven that a few times. Doesn't half shift but that's the only thing going for it. Absolutely embarrassing pulling up anywhere with it.

route101

Established Member
I have used once. Glasgow to Livingston then for the hell of it I took the next service from Livingston to the airport. The final section to the airport was quiet but the first trip was quite busy.

overthewater

Established Member
Would it be useful if they Extended the 902 to Glasgow Airport? Which would give Livingston and the Monklands area direct bus service?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Would it be useful if they Extended the 902 to Glasgow Airport? Which would give Livingston and the Monklands area direct bus service?
I suspect the issue isn't that demand is not there but perhaps that demand is too inconsistent to make a relatively frequent service viable?

Perhaps a service to the Airport via Motherwell/Hamilton would do better?

overthewater

Established Member
I suspect the issue isn't that demand is not there but perhaps that demand is too inconsistent to make a relatively frequent service viable?

Perhaps a service to the Airport via Motherwell/Hamilton would do better?

Im surprised Citylink haven't tried a few more routes into Glasgow Airport. Edinburgh seems to get all the attention. Mind you Mcgills don't seem to like the Airport either.

Flying Snail

Established Member
Im surprised Citylink haven't tried a few more routes into Glasgow Airport. Edinburgh seems to get all the attention. Mind you Mcgills don't seem to like the Airport either.
How much do each Airport charge the bus operators?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
In terms of passenger numbers Edinburgh Airport is a lot busier than Glasgow Airport, they're not really on the same level in that regard. Another thing to factor in is that most main Citylink services come in to Glasgow city centre from the North East or East and the Airport is to the west, so connecting with the 500 at the bus station isn't really any slower than extending a Citylink service such as the M8 or 902 would be. In contrast in Edinburgh Citylink services entirely enter from the west and the Airport is to the west, so there is a lot more value to having a direct service rather than relying on a through connection, and of course Edinburgh as mentioned above is significantly busier in terms of passenger numbers so demand is a lot higher.

BobbyBKinross

I might be completely wrong here but, since it's a Fife based coach and it's owned by Stagecoach East Scotland, could it be getting used on the 913 since they've sold off all the Panther's that were previously used on it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The timetable for the new M96 (Aberdeen - Inverness) is now on Bustimes.
Apparently there is a newcomer to the Citylink fleet; 54360 has been repainted in to Citylink colours.
Might be completely wrong here but since it's a Fife based coach and it's owned by Stagecoach East Scotland, Could it be getting used on the 913 since they've sold off all the Panther's that were previously used on it.
From what I have heard it is going to be based at Rennies (Cowdenbeath), which would align with it being potentially intended for the 913 as they have operated it in past years.

From what I have heard it is going to be based at Rennies (Cowdenbeath), which would align with it being potentially intended for the 913 as they have operated it in past years.
Is indeed what its for.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Is indeed what its for.
Seems a logical decision. A new bus needed for the 913 and this was a bus that was due for repaint anyway.

I assume this was freed up at Glenrothes by the return of 54358?

route101

Established Member
The summer timetables have started a bit later this year or is it just me? A late start for the 913.

In terms of passenger numbers Edinburgh Airport is a lot busier than Glasgow Airport, they're not really on the same level in that regard. Another thing to factor in is that most main Citylink services come in to Glasgow city centre from the North East or East and the Airport is to the west, so connecting with the 500 at the bus station isn't really any slower than extending a Citylink service such as the M8 or 902 would be. In contrast in Edinburgh Citylink services entirely enter from the west and the Airport is to the west, so there is a lot more value to having a direct service rather than relying on a through connection, and of course Edinburgh as mentioned above is significantly busier in terms of passenger numbers so demand is a lot higher.
If i remember correctly the X24 service which ran to Glasgow Airport was quiet. There is more demand to Edinburgh Airport now.

PG

Established Member
Interestingly it appears that only the southbound journeys will use Great Northern road in Aberdeen, with the northbound journeys running via the six roads roundabout and North Anderson drive.
Imagepipe_4.jpg
Image shows map of M96 route within Aberdeen City.

Spsf3232

Interestingly it appears that only the southbound journeys will use Great Northern road in Aberdeen, with the northbound journeys running via the six roads roundabout and North Anderson drive.
View attachment 135762
Image shows map of M96 route within Aberdeen City.
It will go what ever way the driver seems appropriate at the time between stops. This is just a computer generated directions between stops which just so happen to give both options for each way nothing else.

cf111

Established Member
Had a very short trip between Portree and Uig on the new Citylink Irizar-i6(?)s doing some of the 915/916 services. Very nice interior and they have kept the foot rests under the seats which is appreciated. I much prefer these news coaches to the Mercedes Tourismos which do some journeys between Glasgow and Portree/Uig. They don't have as much legroom.

route101

Established Member
Had a very short trip between Portree and Uig on the new Citylink Irizar-i6(?)s doing some of the 915/916 services. Very nice interior and they have kept the foot rests under the seats which is appreciated. I much prefer these news coaches to the Mercedes Tourismos which do some journeys between Glasgow and Portree/Uig. They don't have as much legroom.
Not sampled the Merc Tourismos that Citylink have, they appear to start up North in the Morning.

Mwanesh

Oxford has had investment. Their Panoramas are only 2 years old. Falcon may be due replacements soon