• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

Calthrop

Established Member
The progressive educator A.S. Neill (1883 -- 1973) was born in Forfar. The majority of his career was spent in charge of Summerhill School at Leiston, Suffolk -- run along very enlightened lines -- founded by him in 1921, still going strong.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6130

Established Member
Leiston was the only intermediate station on the Great Eastern Railway's branch line from Saxmundham to Aldeburgh, which is still used to this day as far as Leiston for the transport of nuclear flasks to and from the nearby power station at Sizewell.

Last edited:
Garrett's of Leiston were major producers of traction engines and other mobile steam engines, as were Aveling & Porter, known particularly for road rollers, built at their works in the Medway town of Strood.

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Leiston was the only intermediate station on the Great Eastern Railway's branch line from Saxmundham to Aldeburgh, which is still used to this day as far as Leiston for the transport of nuclear flasks to and from the nearby power station at Sizewell.

Respectfully -- in this game, is it not the convention: that basically all and any associations are admissible, except those involving specifically railway-related material / lore?

D6130

Established Member
Respectfully -- in this game, is it not the convention: that basically all and any associations are admissible, except those involving specifically railway-related material / lore?
Apologies, I had forgotten that. I sometimes become confused by the rules of all the different games on the forum! May I suggest that @John Griffiths's previously redacted entry be reinstated and that we go forward from there?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Apologies, I had forgotten that. I sometimes become confused by the rules of all the different games on the forum! May I suggest that @John Griffiths's previously redacted entry be reinstated and that we go forward from there?
I have sent him a message to that effect as the strike-through needs removing in order for that to occur.

Can you please strike-through your posting # 21,092.

Calthrop

Established Member
Until recently, a speciality of Tonbridge was the manufacturing of cricket balls. At the present day -- the firm of Price, of Bath, are active in the manufacture of balls for all manner of games.

Springs Branch

Established Member
Chelsea's famous Royal Hospital is in fact a charitable almshouse (retirement and nursing home in modern language) catering for British Army veterans, rather than a medical facility.
In Ireland there is a similar institution in a district of Dublin - the Royal Hospital Kilmainham.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The Scottish physician and microbiologist Sir Alexander Fleming FRS FRSE FRCS was born on 6th August 1881 at Lochfield Farm near Darvel. He is best known for discovering the world's first broadly effective antibiotic substance, which he named penicillin. His discovery in 1928 was made at the St Mary's Hospital Medical School in Paddington, London.

341o2

Established Member
Port Sunlight on the Wirral was constructed to house the workforce at the Levers factory

Ford in Northumberland is another settlement without a pub, because of the teetotal convictions of a nineteenth-century landlord.

B'ville may have one now, I haven't checked, but it used to be dry.

Calthrop

Established Member
Cornhill-on-Tweed and Coldstream are adjoining towns, one on each side of an inter-country border. A similar pair -- if rather smaller settlements -- on another border: are Knighton and Garth.

Springs Branch

Established Member
Cornhill-on-Tweed is a small village in England just across the national border from a larger town (Coldstream) in Scotland.
Staunton in Gloucestershire* is another small English village, this time just across a national border from the larger Welsh town of Monmouth.

* - There are two Stauntons in Gloucestershire. This association is the Staunton near Coleford, not the one near Gloucester.

That was a coincidence! Let's continue from Knighton.

Calthrop

Established Member
Cornhill-on-Tweed is a small village in England just across the national border from a larger town (Coldstream) in Scotland.
Staunton in Gloucestershire* is another small English village, this time just across a national border from the larger Welsh town of Monmouth.

* - There are two Stauntons in Gloucestershire. This association is the Staunton near Coleford, not the one near Gloucester.

That was a coincidence! Let's continue from Knighton.

Great minds -- we know what they do...

Rhuallt in Denbighshire also lies on the line of the long-distance footpath known as the Offa's Dyke Path.

Luton also has a pub called the White House.

Calthrop

Established Member
Hermitage (Scottish Borders) is also associated with a folklore villain of considerable infamy. With Nottingham, it is of course Robin Hood's adversary the Sheriff; re the Scottish community -- Hermitage Castle, to which it is the nearest settlement, was the seat of Earl William de Soulis: an extremely unpleasant chap.

Just pipped at the post !

Calthrop

Established Member
Tavistock in Devon also hosts a Goose Fair.

William Browne (1590 -- 1645), pastoral poet, was born in Tavistock; was educated at Exeter College, Oxford. (Had never heard of this gentleman before Googling some minutes ago, looking for inspiration concerning Tavistock -- seeing the name, my first thought was of Richmal Crompton's schoolboy "agent of chaos".)