• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Ruislip (general) has a Lido of some renown. The UK would seem to have more Lidos nowadays, than I'd imagined -- having perceived a sort of 1930s feel to the term. It appears that Britain's northernmost such, with the title considered applicable, is the outdoor swimming pool at Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire (which is, mercifully, heated to 29 degrees C).

Calthrop

Established Member
The Travellers Rest pub at Alpraham is on CAMRA's National Inventory of Historic Pub Interiors; as is the Hand and Heart pub in Peterborough.

Calthrop

Established Member
Lanark also gives its name to a type of cheese of a specified colour (Leicester -- red; Lanark -- blue).

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Lanark was historically the county town of Lanarkshire, though in modern times this title belongs to Hamilton.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The mausoleum at Milton was designed by Sir Robert Smirke (1780 – 1867) and built in 1831 / 1832, being intended as a tomb for the Duchess of Newcastle who died in 1822. Among the many other buildings designed by him was the County Gaol at Maidstone, built between 1817 and 1819.

Calthrop

Established Member
The River Len, coming in from the east, joins the River Medway at Maidstone. A few miles upstream from there, it runs though the village of Broomfield.

DerekC

Established Member
Leeds and Broomfield Cricket Club play at Leeds Castle. Arundel Castle Cricket Club also play at a castle. Both claim to have the most beautiful cricket ground in the world. (I wonder if they should have a match to settle the matter).

Calthrop

Established Member
Another of my favourite "go-to's" -- Bideford also has a namesake town in the U.S. State of Maine. However, since as we know, those silly people over there can't spell or pronounce properly: the Maine equivalent of the Devon town is spelt with a double "d"; and I gather that they say that of the Sussex one, as "A-run-dle".

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Bideford Black is a unique pigment which was mined for 200 years up until 1969 in Bideford and the surrounding area. The deposits were formed 350 million years ago during the Carboniferous period. It contains carbon, silica and alumina, with the black colouration created by the carbon. The seams containing it stretch from Hartland, underneath Bideford, and onto Umberleigh.

Calthrop

Established Member
The Finch Foundry at Sticklepath is a water-powered forge, preserved and on show museum-wise; its equipment is in working order and can be seen in action. Another example of preservation of times-past technology, is the restored and functioning windmill at Wilton, Wiltshire (this settlement near Great Bedwyn; not to be confused with the bigger Wilton near Salisbury).

Calthrop

Established Member
Belturbet (Co. Cavan) also gets an -- incidental, glancing, and indirect -- mention in a short story by Saki (H.H. Munro).

Calthrop

Established Member
Ballyshannon in County Donegal also lies on the line of the River Erne.

The above-bolded name features -- tangentially -- in one of the Bab Ballads by W.S. Gilbert (of "...& Sullivan"). I love the Ballads -- for me, on the whole more fun than the operettas: here, Gilbert isn't trying to be topical / satirical -- he just scribbles down in verse, whatever nonsense happens to come into his head -- much of it, nonsensical to the nth degree. One of my favourite Bab Ballads is -- for its sheer barminess -- Ellen M'Jones Aberdeen: in which the named lady plays no part whatsoever, except for her name coming at the end of every verse.

Calthrop

Established Member
Kenilworth in Warwickshire also has a church that is dedicated to St Nicholas.

Wiki is endlessly educational -- I learn that a Samuel Butler of some fame, was born in Kenilworth in 1774: I'd hitherto known that name only as belonging to the poet and satirist, dates 1613 -- 80, author of Hudibras; and the much later author / thinker (grandson, I learn, of the Kenilworth-born chap), who wrote Erewhon. "Him born in K. 1774" was a classical scholar, latterly bishop, and schoolmaster; most renowned for his headmastership of Shrewsbury School.

D6130

Established Member
Wiki is endlessly educational -- I learn that a Samuel Butler of some fame, was born in Kenilworth in 1774: I'd hitherto known that name only as belonging to the poet and satirist, dates 1613 -- 80, author of Hudibras; and the much later author / thinker (grandson, I learn, of the Kenilworth-born chap), who wrote Erewhon. "Him born in K. 1774" was a classical scholar, latterly bishop, and schoolmaster; most renowned for his headmastership of Shrewsbury School.
Bridgnorth is also on the River Severn.