• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should I be expecting a letter having paid the penalty fare on-the-spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geo97

I was recently stopped without a valid ticket after getting off the DLR. I had been distracted at my station of origin (saying goodbye to family and friends) and didn't swipe my card in at the terminal before getting on the train (my fault entirely, no excuse just context). I was asked to give my name, address and DOB, then I was given a penalty fare of £40 which I paid on-the-spot. This is the first time this has happened to me. Having read up on fare evasion and the hard-line approach TfL take on fare-dodgers, I am worried about what may happen next. Should I be expecting further correspondence or is the matter settled as I paid the penalty?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
No further action will be taken as you paid the penalty. Be aware that your name will now be on TfL’s database should a further occurrence occur so they may seek to prosecute rather than deal with the matter by a penalty fare.

Geo97

Thanks for your quick response. I'll be sure not to be as irresponsible in the future. Thanks again.

Geo97

Hey, just a follow up question: what happens if they thought I was lying? Initially the RPI said he thought I was lying to him, though I stood my ground and said I just made a mistake. He then gave me the penalty fare.

I think maybe he was just trying to scare me, which worked, as I am, now, scared. Other then the accusation, however, he was kind and patient, and ultimately just doing his job, so I have no complaints.

This whole experience has really shaken me, I'm quite a timid person and being confronted and called a liar by an authoritative figure is intimidating. Is it all going to be okay?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
No further action will be taken as you paid the penalty. Be aware that your name will now be on TfL’s database should a further occurrence occur so they may seek to prosecute rather than deal with the matter by a penalty fare.
The bold part is the important part.

Geo97

Haha, thanks for your response. I shall try to keep my anxieties at bay. Thank you.

Stigy

Established Member
Hey, just a follow up question: what happens if they thought I was lying? Initially the RPI said he thought I was lying to him, though I stood my ground and said I just made a mistake. He then gave me the penalty fare.

I think maybe he was just trying to scare me, which worked, as I am, now, scared. Other then the accusation, however, he was kind and patient, and ultimately just doing his job, so I have no complaints.

This whole experience has really shaken me, I'm quite a timid person and being confronted and called a liar by an authoritative figure is intimidating. Is it all going to be okay?

Hi geo,

If he believed you were actually lying, he probably would have reported you at the time, meaning you’d potentially go to court. He didn’t do this at the time so you now have nothing to worry about. Sometimes staff emphasise the fact that one can be prosecuted for these offences before making their decision, this in my view is an effective way of getting across that a Penalty fare is actually a deterrent, and in issuing this the RPI is in fact being more understanding than going straight down the court route. I see all too often RPIs straight away saying “that’s £20/£80 penalty Fare” before actually knowing all the facts, and this method straight away (usually) gets peoples’ backs up as they see it as criminalising them, because they’ve not had the system explained to them as they should.

Status
Not open for further replies.