• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should Special Needs Adults Be Allowed A Disabled Rail Card Too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan1990

On Moderation
We all know that the Disabled Rail Card is meant for people in wheelchairs. I also know that they permit adults with special needs such as autism and leaning difficulties to hold the Disabled Rail Card. The Disabled Rail Card is more important in areas such as Yorkshire that don't have a local rail card like the Highland one I've heard about in Northern Scotland.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AnthonyRail

Established Member
What are you implying? Not every disability is visible. Don’t understand the need for original post.

Last edited:

JamesT

Established Member
We all know that the Disabled Rail Card is meant for people in wheelchairs. I also know that they permit adults with special needs such as autism and leaning difficulties to hold the Disabled Rail Card. The Disabled Rail Card is more important in areas such as Yorkshire that don't have a local rail card like the Highland one I've heard about in Northern Scotland.

As per https://www.disabledpersons-railcard.co.uk/are-you-eligible/ "The Disabled Persons Railcard is for people with a disability that makes travelling by train difficult."

As long as you're formally registered as being disabled, usually by receiving a related benefit, you're entitled to a railcard.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

another one of these threads eh?

The answer is yes.

Bromley boy

Established Member

Nope. As far as I knew, the disabled rail card is meant for people with disabilities.

I hope to god you aren’t implying that someone can only be disabled if they require a wheelchair.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
To be fair, some adults are disabled but don’t use wheelchairs. For instance, I saw a man board a train with a severely hunched back the other day.

Llanigraham

On Moderation

Sorry but that is totally incorrect.
The criteria for holding a Disabled Person's Rail Card is MUCH wider than your idea.
For example, I have one as I am partly deaf, my son as he an epileptic.
I suggest you look at the details on their web site:
https://www.disabledpersons-railcar...yONUKUh_NAwslXVcOyxoCOJgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

PeterC

Established Member
As I read the post the OP is suggesting that the card should be withdrawn from certain categories if disability. Leaving aside the morality of this it is also simple economics, there is no way that the railways can fund and manage their own medical reviews to determine which people already registered as disabled they regard as "deserving" and which as "undeserving".

DanNCL

Established Member
Not allowing people with certain hidden disabilities to hold a disabled persons railcard, but allowing those in wheelchairs or with crutches to have one would be discrimination. Not every disability is visible, therefore it isn't fair to assume that someone is not disabled just because "they don't look disabled".

There are two fair options that are available. The first one (in my opinion the better one) is keep the system as it is, and allow anyone with any disability to have a disabled persons railcard. The other (in my opinion not so good, but it would still be fair) would be to withdraw the disabled persons railcard altogether and charge people the same fare for the same journey whether they are disabled or not.

Veteran Member
As I read the post the OP is suggesting that the card should be withdrawn from certain categories if disability. Leaving aside the morality of this it is also simple economics, there is no way that the railways can fund and manage their own medical reviews to determine which people already registered as disabled they regard as "deserving" and which as "undeserving".
I didn't read it that way, although like AnthonyRail I don't see the point of the post.

Qwerty133

Established Member
Basically this. While the railway does seem to attract a number of people as regular travellers and enthuiasts who use their claimed 'disabilities' as an excuse to never work or do anything slightly useful for society it is neither desirable or probably even possible for the railway to determine who is disabled enough, although to be fair the deaf criteria does seem rather relaxed and it could be argued that this should be tightened in line with other criteria.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
We all know that the Disabled Rail Card is meant for people in wheelchairs.
You what?
Jonathan1990 said:
I also know that they permit adults with special needs such as autism and leaning difficulties to hold the Disabled Rail Card. The Disabled Rail Card is more important in areas such as Yorkshire that don't have a local rail card like the Highland one I've heard about in Northern Scotland.
I’m not quite sure where you’re going with this.

Is this meant to be a question or a statement?

Either way, it’s a rather disjointed post that, with respect, doesn’t appear to be well thought through.

Perhaps you could clarify what you are suggesting?

Bromley boy

Established Member
There are two fair options that are available. The first one (in my opinion the better one) is keep the system as it is, and allow anyone with any disability to have a disabled persons railcard. The other (in my opinion not so good, but it would still be fair) would be to withdraw the disabled persons railcard altogether and charge people the same fare for the same journey whether they are disabled or not.

Your second option, as I understand it, would simply align the treatment of disabled travellers with those who aren’t disabled. This would certainly be consistent but I’m not sure it would be fair given that they aren’t starting from a level playing field. The disabled (whatever their disability) generally have a much tougher time of it in day to day life generally.

As a civilised society, im sure you’ll agree we should be helping those with disabilities where possible. Boosting their ability to live independently and have access to education and jobs via discounted travel is a key part of this.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
We all know that the Disabled Rail Card is meant for people in wheelchairs. ...
...and people with hearing aids, epilepsy and.... well, the list is very long.

I am unsure why you only mentioned wheelchairs? Is there a misunderstanding here?

DanNCL

Established Member
Your second option, as I understand it, would simply align the treatment of disabled travellers with those who aren’t disabled. I’m not sure this would be “fair” given that they aren’t starting from a level playing field. The disabled (whatever their disability) generally have a much tougher time of it in day to day life generally.

As a civilised society, im sure you’ll agree we should be helping those with disabilities where possible. Boosting their ability to live independently and have access to education and jobs via discounted travel is a key part of this.
It would be fair in the sense that everyone would be paying the same fare to use the same train service for the same journey, though I did mention in my earlier post on this thread that I would much rather keep the system for disabled persons fares that is already in use!

I couldn't agree more with you on the second paragraph; there does need to be more help for disabled people to get around and be independent

Jonathan1990

On Moderation
This is because I have actually got a Disabled Railcard through having special needs. One thing I'm always forgetting to do is sign on the back. Conductors never notice and bother with this issue.

Bromley boy

Established Member
It would be fair in the sense that everyone would be paying the same fare to use the same train service for the same journey, though I did mention in my earlier post on this thread that I would much rather keep the system for disabled persons fares that is already in use!

I couldn't agree more with you on the second paragraph; there does need to be more help for disabled people to get around and be independent

Yes, apologies, I edited my previous post while you were replying. I’d suggest consistency and fairness aren’t the same thing, for these purposes.

Anyhow, forget the minor details. Generally, we are in agreement.

On the other hand, this is a very worrying thread...

Last edited:

Bromley boy

Established Member
This is because I have actually got a Disabled Railcard through having special needs. One thing I'm always forgetting to do is sign on the back. Conductors never notice and bother with this issue.

I must admit I’m struggling to relate this comment to the original thread title. Are you saying you do or don’t use a wheelchair personally? Is your complaint that conductors never check your railcard?

Either way, you appear to be questioning why those with hidden disabilities (e.g. autistic people) who most likely don’t require a wheelchair, but are still very much disabled, are entitled to a railcard?

Please can you clarify?

Llanigraham

On Moderation

What has that got to do with your opening post and people in wheelchairs?
I, and others, really do not understand what you are trying to get at. Perhaps you could explain?

Jonathan1990

On Moderation
I only wanted to know if I should be having one with the fact that I hold a Disabled Rail Card for having special needs as they did accept one for me.

gray1404

Established Member
If you have been issued with a disabled persons railcard it will be because you meet the criteria by fulfilling one of the conditions, set out on their website.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Could someone with autism,aspergers or down syndrome have difficulty travelling by train?
Autism:Noise.sensory overload changes to routine caused by travel disruption? So yes
Aspergers:Crowds requirement for some social interaction ? So yes
Down syndrome: difficulty regulating bidy temperature difficulty communicating finds disruptions to routine caused by travel.disruption. So yes

All the major learning difficulties seem to fit the characteristic of holding a disabled persons railcard perfectly. I would argue those with severe dyslexia and dyspraxia could find navigating the rail system difficult too.Many of these learning difficulties would also have challenges driving which also narrows their transport choices.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
As the OP's actual query has been addressed, I think it is best this thread is locked before it heads down an unintended direction and/or arguments.

Eligibility for the Railcard is available from their website. If you were issued with one then it is valid until expiry. No need to worry about whether you should have been issued one. Life is too short for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.