Shred`s UK trips.

shredder1

Established Member
Yes D3 is the one really, calcium take sparingly though, its an easy one to over does with, I use Zinc with has similar properties for the bone.

I love the night trains across Europe and Ive done many over the years, Sofia, Bulgaria to Istanbul is a good one apart from being woke up at the Turkish border in the middle of the night, having to get dressed and leave your first class sleeper car, and then hang around on the platform while they sort out a visa out for you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shredder1

Established Member
Manchester, Scarborough and York. Saturday 9th October 2021.

I must admit to missing my night trains in the UK. When the Arriva Club 55 tickets were available, Id often have an all night run from Manchester Piccadilly to Carmarthen with an early hours change to the Fishguard Harbour boat train to meet the Irish ferry, which usually got me back into Swansea for around 03.30, but even that ones not possible now.

So, my option for an early train from Manchester Piccadilly was the 02.42 to York. I`d finished work on the Friday afternoon at 16.00 hours, gone to the gym for a workout and back in the hour for around 18.00, grabbed some tea and went to bed early, not that I slept much, I was up from 00.30, and after having a very early breakfast I drove into Manchester and entered a very quiet Manchester Piccadilly station for around 02.00. I’m not used to seeing the station at this time in the morning and although a few bodies were dotted around in a semi state of consciousness on available station benches, only one train was stood in a platform, a pair of the new 195 units.

I made my way down to platform 14 and a Transpennine class 185 was waiting. It was timed for a two-and-a-half-hour journey to York, with a stop at Huddersfield for 30 minutes, (reminiscent of the old parcel trains). My train arrived in York for 05.00 and after a quick recce around the station, two Transpennine cats parked up in the platforms, 60026 “Enterprise” and 68023 “Achilles”. I caught a 30-minute delayed, Class 185 to Scarborough arriving for 07.30. Scarborough station was also very quiet with only the train I have arrived on in the station.

I next made my way over to the Lord Rosebery, a Wetherspoons pub, and I was in time for breakfast, a full English, but confident that I could burn these extra calories off, I didn’t feel too guilty about the diet. After breakfast I walked down the hill into the town to the harbour, it was a glorious morning for a walked so I walked right around the Castle Hill and onto the North Bay and the North Bay Railway, a 20-inch gauge operation at just under 1 mile in length, with both steam and diesel locomotives, a railway I’ve visited before. I caught the first train of the day, a Hudswell and Clarke diesel locomotive named “Robin Hood” and designed to look like a steam locomotive. The first run around the North Bay, from Peasholme Park, the main operations base to Scalby Mills at the end of the line.

After my visit I walked back through Peasholme Park and up the hill to the Scarborough’s mainline station. On arrival at the station, I was rewarded with two class 37`s parked in the platforms on a rail treatment train, 37401 “Mary Queen of Scots”, and 37402 “Stephen Middlemore” and perfect for a few photographs, while also sat under the roof was Transpennine Cat 68032 “Destroyer” and later to arrive was another Nova 2, 68030 “Black Douglas”, which appeared to only be operating between York to Scarborough. In fact, I caught 68032 “Destroyer” back into York and it just returned to Scarborough, and later while I was at York, 68030 “Black Douglas”, did the same trip. On a Scarborough to Sheffield via Hull service was a Northern class 170.

I spent the next few hours on the platforms of York, the main stay these days are the LNER Azuma`s of course, but the Sprinter class 155 are still operating on the Hull services. Plenty of class 195`s coming in and out and class 170`s now on the Harrogate line. I was hoping to see one of the new class 803 Lumo`s, but none showed up. I left York at 15.55 on a later running Manchester Airport class 185 and had a pleasant journey back into Manchester Piccadilly to collect the car and drive home, and thus had a very satisfying trip out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Bay_Railway#:~:text=North Bay Railway (NBR) is,Bay area of the town.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds like a fun trip, fair play. I need to do that little railway in Scarborough, it's been on the list to do since 2005 and I've still not got around to allocating time to it. Still, I have got to head that way some time to do the ride to Whitby, so I will hopefully combine the two.

87electric

That's a great trip you did there and incorporating a 68 is always a bonus. There has always been something magical about travelling by train overnight for me, whatever country.

shredder1

Established Member
Yes its a nice little railway the North Bay, well run and a good tourist attraction for the area. The last time I was in Scarborough I went to do a piece on the Funiculars, Scarborough had 5 at one time, sadly only one is presently operating, the Spar cliff Funicular, (the oldest in Britain), is closed until further notice, and St Nicolas has been converted into a cafe. Only the Central Funicular is operating at present. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarborough_funiculars

shredder1

Established Member
That's a great trip you did there and incorporating a 68 is always a bonus. There has always been something magical about travelling by train overnight for me, whatever country.
Yes its so magical at night, something about the atmosphere is railway stations at night that`s always attracted me and to board a sleeper service is electric.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yes its a nice little railway the North Bay, well run and a good tourist attraction for the area. The last time I was in Scarborough I went to do a piece on the Funiculars, Scarborough had 5 at one time, sadly only one is presently operating, the Spar cliff Funicular, (the oldest in Britain), is closed until further notice, and St Nicolas has been converted into a cafe. Only the Central Funicular is operating at present. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarborough_funiculars

Ah yes I remember seeing the funicular when I went many years ago. I think it was 2006, whenever it was TPX was all or mostly all 158s still, that was a long time ago! I didn't do it at the time, for reasons I don't remember. Maybe next time!

shredder1

Established Member
Ah yes I remember seeing the funicular when I went many years ago. I think it was 2006, whenever it was TPX was all or mostly all 158s still, that was a long time ago! I didn't do it at the time, for reasons I don't remember. Maybe next time!
i Like the old funiculars, theres not really that many in the UK really.

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancs Railway, Autumn Steam Gala. Saturday 16th October 2021.

Playing at home this weekend, it was the good old East Lancs Railway Autumn Steam Gala. The first stop was a short drive up to Ramsbottom Sidings, but after the first two trains passed through, a security guard came up the sidings and asked us to leave, in some 50 years of supporting the railway, Ive never come across anything like it on the East Lancs, so I guess the Railway is changing, and in fairness if an accident happened to someone while lineside, the railway could be held liable and we all have a duty to protect our preserved railways whenever we can. A few of the lads in the sidings were current volunteers for the railway, and later two police men came up the sidings to make sure every one had left, but they gave the impression that they were wasting their time, it was hardly an emergency. I guess we have to protect our preserved railways and all good things come to an end I suppose, although it does seem a little strange stopping working members from going lineside now, especially since a couple of those members had been asked to patrol the tracks while the railway was closed due to Covid.

After being evicted from the sidings, I made my way to Ramsbottom station and later onto Burrs Country Park in the fields. There was plenty of action all day with some very interesting freight arrangements, so some great planning involved. Two advertised locos sadly failed, A4 60009 “Union of South Africa” and a LMS Jinty 47298. A nice touch by the railway was to have A4 60009 “Union of South Africa” on display in Bury Bolton Street station. The usual excellent selection of stalls for railway books, models and other related railwayania. Overall a great event, a big well done to all involved on the East Lancs Railway, another winning event.

Operating locomotives,

LMS Ivatt Class 2 2-6-2T 41312 visiting from the Mid-Hants Railway, GWR 7800 Class 7820 ‘Dinmore Manor’ visiting from the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway, GWR 5600 Class – 5643, L&Y Saddletank – 752/51456, L&Y Class 27 – 52322, Southern, West Country Class – 34092 ‘City of Wells’, Standard 4 – 80097 (Friday/Saturday only), Sentinel Works – 7232 ‘Ann’ (Saturday only shunting wagons around Bury)

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancs Railway, Autumn Steam Gala. Sunday 17th October 2021.

I’m usually on band practice Sunday these days, but my second guitarist was busy, so after an early session in the gym and then a roast dinner at a village pub, I was on my way to the East Lancs railway again, but just staying on Bury Bolton Street on this day, which gave me time to visit all the stalls and catch up with a few friends.

I managed to capture everything that was running again apart from the Great Western tank loco, 5643, I also managed a few shots of the “City of Wells” leading the diner service rushing through the station. I also succumbed to buying a mint condition Hornby 00 Gauge Drummond 700 Class 3F 0-6-0 30346 in late BR black livery for £60 from Rogers undercroft emporium, so can’t complain at that price and another nice model for the cabinets. However, the weather was poor, damp and dull, still a few punters around though, and lots on the trains, so hope the railway did well over the event and a big well done again to all involved.

Operating locomotives,

LMS Ivatt Class 2 2-6-2T 41312 visiting from the Mid-Hants Railway, GWR 7800 Class 7820 ‘Dinmore Manor’ visiting from the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway, GWR 5600 Class – 5643, L&Y Saddletank – 752/51456, L&Y Class 27 – 52322, Southern, West Country Class – 34092 ‘City of Wells’, Standard 4 – 80097,

YorkyLad

East Lancs Railway, Autumn Steam Gala. Saturday 16th October 2021.

Playing at home this weekend, it was the good old East Lancs Railway Autumn Steam Gala. The first stop was a short drive up to Ramsbottom Sidings, but after the first two trains passed through, a security guard came up the sidings and asked us to leave, in some 50 years of supporting the railway, Ive never come across anything like it on the East Lancs, so I guess the Railway is changing, and in fairness if an accident happened to someone while lineside, the railway could be held liable and we all have a duty to protect our preserved railways whenever we can. A few of the lads in the sidings were current volunteers for the railway, and later two police men came up the sidings to make sure every one had left, but they gave the impression that they were wasting their time, it was hardly an emergency. I guess we have to protect our preserved railways and all good things come to an end I suppose, although it does seem a little strange stopping working members from going lineside now, especially since a couple of those members had been asked to patrol the tracks while the railway was closed due to Covid.

After being evicted from the sidings, I made my way to Ramsbottom station and later onto Burrs Country Park in the fields. There was plenty of action all day with some very interesting freight arrangements, so some great planning involved. Two advertised locos sadly failed, A4 60009 “Union of South Africa” and a LMS Jinty 47298. A nice touch by the railway was to have A4 60009 “Union of South Africa” on display in Bury Bolton Street station. The usual excellent selection of stalls for railway books, models and other related railwayania. Overall a great event, a big well done to all involved on the East Lancs Railway, another winning event.

Operating locomotives,

LMS Ivatt Class 2 2-6-2T 41312 visiting from the Mid-Hants Railway, GWR 7800 Class 7820 ‘Dinmore Manor’ visiting from the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway, GWR 5600 Class – 5643, L&Y Saddletank – 752/51456, L&Y Class 27 – 52322, Southern, West Country Class – 34092 ‘City of Wells’, Standard 4 – 80097 (Friday/Saturday only), Sentinel Works – 7232 ‘Ann’ (Saturday only shunting wagons around Bury)

I was amazed to see your security guard friend on Ramsbottom Station, stopping people from accessing the station. Why did the ELR feel the need to pay for a security guard at Ramsbottom station checking tickets - when in the past either obtaining a Platform Ticket or dropping a few coins in the milk churn was sufficient if you weren't travelling? It is hardly a hot bed for aggro?! Not sure what the arrangements were at Bury, bit it seems a bit over the top for me and certainly didn't look very 'heritage'. Great pics by the way!

shredder1

Established Member
I was amazed to see your security guard friend on Ramsbottom Station, stopping people from accessing the station. Why did the ELR feel the need to pay for a security guard at Ramsbottom station checking tickets - when in the past either obtaining a Platform Ticket or dropping a few coins in the milk churn was sufficient if you weren't travelling? It is hardly a hot bed for aggro?! Not sure what the arrangements were at Bury, bit it seems a bit over the top for me and certainly didn't look very 'heritage'. Great pics by the way!

Thanks very much friend, yes a bit of a waste of money it would seem, but I think they had a staffing issues, a lack of volunteers at Ramsbottom, Bury was fine, we had our own staff manning the station.

shredder1

Established Member
Dean Forest Railway. 50th Anniversary. Saturday 23rd October 2021.

It had been quite a few years since I last visited the Dean Forest Railway and I had been meaning to get back to it for some time, but was looking for a suitable gala day in which to visit. So, when I noted the 50th Anniversary gala coming up, I’d put it in my diary.

Another early start and a drive down to Manchester Piccadilly for the 05.11 Bournemouth Cross Country Voyager down to Birmingham New Street followed by a walk across the bridges to platform 12B for the Cross Country Nottingham to Cardiff class 170 to Gloucester. Nice to see a former Chilterns Turbostar coupled up to e West Midlands train` class 170 for a bit of livery variety.

At Gloucester I boarded a TfW Turbostar class 170 for the last part of the journey to Lydney, arriving by 09.30 so a four and a half hour journey. The Severn Tunnel was closed for maintenance, so plenty of diverted IET`s passing through Gloucester and Lydney.

I made the short walk around to Lydney Junction for the Dean Forest Railway and awaited the first train down the line, although the first one out was at 10.40, it might have been better had the railway arranged an earlier train from the junction, if only for visitors to spend money on a breakfast in the Café at Norchard.

The first train in was an ex GWR small Prairie Tank 4451, this was followed by a second train behind ex BR class 14 D9521, both services were operating the full length of the line from Lydney Junction to Parkend, with a third locomotive, former Longmoor Military Railway Austerity tank 75008 “Swiftsure”, joining later in the day, while the class 14 went on driver experience for visitors. A DMU service was also operating at various times of the day between Norchard Low Level station and Lydney Junction calling at Lydney Town station. In addition to this, a visiting locomotive Pecket 1722, “Rocket” from the Telford Steam Railway was giving guards van rides around Parkend throughout the day, so some very intensive operations on a railway that is just under 5 miles in length, but feels much longer.

My first trip of the day was a ride up to Parkend behind the small Prairie Tank 4451, I returned as far as Norchard behind class 14 D9521. A much welcome coffee at Norchard along with a visit to the shop, museum, bookshops and workshops, plenty to do and see and a further £16 worth of station totem fridge magnets added to the collection. My next move was a ride on the DMU service back into Lydney Junction, returning to Norchard, I next returned to Parkend, this time behind Austerity tank 75008 “Swiftsure”, I spent some time at Parkend on my second visit of the day and took a guard’s van ride behind the Pecket 1722, “Rocket”, before returning to Norchard behind small Prairie Tank 4451, and finally another train, behind LMR Austerity 75008 “Swiftsure”, back to Lydney Junction.

It was an intensive gala with very frequent trains, so a really big well done to the Dean Forest Railway and its volunteers for a fantastic effort, well done guys. It was nice to catch up with a few old friends and meet a few new ones too.

I caught the 17.55 train from Lydney to Gloucester and was rewarded with EWS liveried class 66176 stopped at the signals as my train arrived, so it gave me the opportunity of a few photographs, after it continued on its journey a class 60 passed through at speed on a large tanker train, but far too fast for any night time photography. A thirty-minute wait for the Birmingham Train at Gloucester, but a great connection on a Cross Country Voyager from New Street to Manchester Piccadilly although it was 20 minutes down by the time it arrived at 21.40, but after a short drive home I was in the house for just after 22.00, a great trip.