• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signalling Codes

Trainguy34

Is there anyway to find a list of random signalling codes that pop up on the likes of traksy?

Note to Mods: Feel free to move if not in right place.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
No list would be comprehensive, because as you say they're random. There have definitely been threads on it before but I can't find them on a quick search.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
I presume you mean the figures and letters Signallers put in the berths? They're not codes as such, they're just reminders for the Signallers, and also to help other staff who may be looking at train describers, such as control staff

If there’s something specific, one of us fellow signallers might be able to interpret it for you, but even in the same signal box different people use different abbreviations for the same things!

Trainguy34

I presume you mean the figures and letters Signallers put in the berths? They're not codes as such, they're just reminders for the Signallers, and also to help other staff who may be looking at train describers, such as control staff
Pretty much, especially *X**

zwk500

Veteran Member
Pretty much, especially *X**
That one specifically is the generic code the system generates if it detects the section as occupied (e.g. a train appears or a track circuit fails) but hasn't been told what TID to assign to it. Some areas use **** instead.

Trainguy34

That one specifically is the generic code the system generates if it detects the section as occupied (e.g. a train appears or a track circuit fails) but hasn't been told what TID to assign to it. Some areas use **** instead.
Ty

BrummieBobby

Some that I have used in the past:

BLOC - Line Blockage
*153 - T3, the number is the item number from the WON
*S5* - This signal will need to be passed at danger (Refers to module S5 from the rule book)
EXAM - Next train to examine the line
TRES and PASS - Trespassers reported in section
OBST - Obstruction Danger

I have seen countless others from other signallers.

Annetts key

Established Member
And some systems auto generate “ * “ (thats blank * blank blank). Sometimes described by signallers as snow or snowing…
Some TD “berths” actually show routing information rather than a train description. This is so that the signaller in an adjacent area knows which route had been set in he other signal box/panel/signalling centre.

HEAT may mean that the line is closed due to hot weather affecting the rails.
RUST may mean that the rail head is rusty and therefore the track circuit(s) cannot be relied on to work correctly (rust is an insulator, so the track circuit fails to detect the presence of a train).

Last edited:

Trainguy34

One I've just saw on Traksy when delving around New St, if you want to see it it's New St - Full Station then scroll right

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230930_140437_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230930_140437_com.android.chrome.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 523

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
One I've just saw on Traksy when delving around New St, if you want to see it it's New St - Full Station then scroll right
That will have been the last output from the old New St PSB's berths.

Annetts key

Established Member
That line, the carriage line (between Bedmister and GPL 6728), and the former washer line (Between GPL 6731 and GPL 6730) only has a small number of GPL signals. The normal problem in autumn, is leaves clogging up 786 points.

Network Rail cleared a lot of the lineside vegetation around two to three years ago. But they can’t do a lot about the large trees in that area that are not on their property.

IMG_7177.jpeg

Three-Nine

I've seen "COW" a couple of times, which obviously indicates an animal on or near the line, and on one occasion I've seen "OOF" - no, I don't know either, but I hope the poor train was okay!

alxndr

Established Member
I've spotted my name in a couple of times when I've had a line blockage, helps having a 4 letter name sometimes!

Bill57p9

I have seen RUST several times.
Out of interest, could someone advise what the procedure is for using a RUSTy track? Speed restriction? Driver briefing?

Somewhere

Out of interest, could someone advise what the procedure is for using a RUSTy track? Speed restriction? Driver briefing?
Just don't expect track circuits to operate correctly i.e. expect the track circuit to show clear when there is a train there

The Puddock

For sections of line that are known to have rust contamination the procedure is given in Rule Book module TS11, section 15, clause 15.3:

IMG_7404.jpeg

(Image above shows the said clause)

Drviers aren‘t expected to know about this or do anything special, other than the signaller will sometimes ask them to confirm when their train has arrived complete at a particular location to enable them to comply with the above rules.

rower40

"KRS" (with a leading or trailing puctuation mark of some sort - a hyphen or star) appears now and again during snow or hot weather. It stands for "Key Route Strategy" - certain loops are placed "out-of-use" to minimise the risk of point failure. (Snow being caught in the blades, or the points failing to detect when heat causes the point mechanisms to deform) The points are kept "normal" (set for straight-on running) and so trains can't go into or out of those loops.

LAX54

Established Member
"KRS" (with a leading or trailing puctuation mark of some sort - a hyphen or star) appears now and again during snow or hot weather. It stands for "Key Route Strategy" - certain loops are placed "out-of-use" to minimise the risk of point failure. (Snow being caught in the blades, or the points failing to detect when heat causes the point mechanisms to deform) The points are kept "normal" (set for straight-on running) and so trains can't go into or out of those loops.
I can remember when that 'rule' used to be the other way, that all points were to be opereated at least every hour or less, to stop routes being unavailable, but, of course we had more PWay staff then too, so had enough close by if you clould not get detection.
Still have PWay on snowing duties, but spread further apart now, which will only get worse with the reductions planned.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I've just seen one that's puzzling me...

ALEX in a siding just outside Brighton right now? Screenshot below... I'm guessing it is not 73 101...!!!

1704203197820.png

Stampy

Best one I've ever seen was a flooding somewhere, and the 2 signalling blocks at it showed GLUG GLUG.....

That might happen again today, at some point......

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Most likely someone called Alex has a sidings possession there. I've seen the same when I've taken line blockages before.
Thank you.

In this instance, then, it's so that any other signaller on duty in the centre will know immediately which person to contact with any queries before it's released?

alxndr

Established Member
Thank you.

In this instance, then, it's so that any other signaller on duty in the centre will know immediately which person to contact with any queries before it's released?
It's just a general aide memoir to the signaller, they can use anything they find useful, or nothing at all. Most of the time they'll use something along the lines of "-LB-" for a line blockage or "-T4-" for a sidings possession (a T4 being the older name for that type of possession). Sometimes they decide to just put in a name if it's a simple 4 letter one, I've also seen "Dave" when one of my colleagues has had a blockage.

The location where I saw Dave and my names was a loop where we'd commonly have blockages that would last for most of the day, which, although I don't know the area, might be the case in your example. I suspect there it might have been a little easier to forget who had it on as we could go for hours without needing to contact the signaller about it. Of course, the appropriate paperwork would always be the true source of information before making any contact or giving back the line for trains rather than any informal notes.