• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sleeper service for the ECML.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travelmonkey

The only potential I could see is if we had a sleeper to mainland Europe although that would be geopolitical and logistical challenge especially if you need to call at St Pancras or one of the Kent Stations to get everyone up for pasport and document checks,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
The only potential I could see is if we had a sleeper to mainland Europe although that would be geopolitical and logistical challenge especially if you need to call at St Pancras or one of the Kent Stations to get everyone up for pasport and document checks,
Tbh if you were doing this you'd have 8/9pm departures from the ECML given the travel times, Hour needed at St Pancras/Stratford, and need to clear HS1 before overnight maintenance shutdown.

Travelmonkey

Tbh if you were doing this you'd have 8/9pm departures from the ECML given the travel times, Hour needed at St Pancras/Stratford, and need to clear HS1 before overnight maintenance shutdown.
Something akin to Amtracks multi-day trains would be cool although definitely not practical going to bed in Edinburgh and waking and alighting by the Mediterranean would definitely be clasier than ryanair, although a sleeper doesn't have to be tied to HS1, more a Railtour concept than a regular journey such as the Night Rivera or Cally sleeper,

syorksdeano

Wasn't there a plan for this originally when the tunnel opened?

6Gman

Established Member
And more to the point what do they use it for? I'd imagine few buy a sleeping berth.

Arriving at Exeter at 3am in the seats is all very well if you have a home and bed to go to, but not much use for anything else.
Indeed. I can imagine that people might find it useful if they want to go to a London concert/ theatre then doze on the train, get to bed by four and sleep through to lunchtime. But a very small market which can add a little bit of income on a train that's running anyway, but certainly wouldn't justify adding a service.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Wasn't there a plan for this originally when the tunnel opened?
Something like that and HS2 was meant to link to HS1 at one stage,
Nightstar actually got as far as building trains, before low cost airlines killed the market. Also the breakup of British Rail had impacts. A link between HS1 and HS2 was explored in the early stages, and at least one report recommended it be built (although I'm not sure if that was a 'if you had to build it, this is the option' type answer, rather than 'building it is a good idea'). Needless to say, it was one of the earliest parts to be dropped from the design as it added vast costs for very little benefits given the completely different purposes of HS1 and HS2.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
if a 246 seat 5 car voyager can turn a profit for a trip why cant a 304 bed 16 car sleeper?

A 16 car sleeper has 204 beds, 9 of which can for two people. They are all used once each day.

A 246 5 car voyager will see each seat used multiple times each day.

A 16 car sleeper needs a lot more staff to operate, service and maintain it than a 5 car voyager.

And the 5 car voyager doesn’t make a profit either.

popeter45

A 16 car sleeper has 204 beds, 9 of which can for two people. They are all used once each day.

A 246 5 car voyager will see each seat used multiple times each day.

A 16 car sleeper needs a lot more staff to operate, service and maintain it than a 5 car voyager.

And the 5 car voyager doesn’t make a profit either.
yea seems i messed up the maths with beds but not the 220 beds with 60 seats is 280 so close and either way not the point i was making

and talking about multible trips a day doesnt cover the per-trip costs im talking about

i was highlighting just how inefficent the current setup is and how more should be done to cut costs and expand capcacity as there are similar capacity trips that have far less if any subsidys
what can be done to reduce the number of staff needed?, up capacity with stuff like couchette offerings rather than low density rooms and would have it made more sence to go with a bi-mode MU like a 80X or Flirt rather than loco haulled carriages so reduce costs assosiated with so many locomotives and locomotive changed?

couchettes alone would up a carriage from 20 max to 30-40 depending on density and replacing 4 sleepers per 8 car portion with them would up ridership from 280 to 360-440 passengers

Last edited:

deltic08

On Moderation
Split the Caley sleeper service into East and West coast. Combine the lowland and highland portions.

East Coast from Kings Cross.
This would convey Inverness, Aberdeen, Edinburgh Newcastle and Leeds portions.

Southbound
Start from Inverness with Aberdeen and seating cars arriving Aberdeen at time current sleeper leaves and current times to Edinburgh. Attach Edinburgh portion. Leave for Newcastle. Attach one sleeper coach and depart for Leeds. At Leeds detach one Inverness/Aberdeen/Dundee-Leeds sleeper coach and attach one Leeds-London sleeper coach. Continue to London setting down at Peterborough and Stevenage.

Northbound
Pickup at Stevenage and possibly Peterborough if not too late. At Leeds, detach London-Leeds sleeper and attach Leeds-Aberdeen/Inverness sleeper. At Newcastle detach London-Newcastle sleeper. At Edinburgh detach London-Edinburgh sleepers and continue to Aberdeen/Inverness with the same class 93 that left London.

Inverness, Craigentiny?, Heaton, Neville Hill and Wembley would service coaches.
Shunting/ ETH locos needed at Edinburgh, Newcastle, Leeds and KX.
There are plenty of redundant 86s and 90s at Freightliner and DB for slow speed shunting moves a la 83/82s at Euston in 1990s.

West Coast from Euston
This would convey Inverness, Fort William and Glasgow portions.

Drop off Glasgow portion in Glasgow, reverse and now diesel hauled to Stirling where the Fort William portion is detached and diesel hauled there as now and continue to Inverness.
Reverse order southbound

If class 93 hauled from London, detach Glasgow and Inverness portion at Carstairs, continue on electric towards Helensburgh and diesel on to Fort William.
Diesel haul Inverness portion and electric haul Glasgow portion from Carstairs.

The likes of Bald Rick and the Planner will probably shoot it down as not enough capacity on only two trains when there are currently four. I do not know current loadings.
It is only Speculative.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
And more to the point what do they use it for? I'd imagine few buy a sleeping berth.

Arriving at Exeter at 3am in the seats is all very well if you have a home and bed to go to, but not much use for anything else.
That's what I have been proposing, have a couple seating carriages for these stations.

And how many people use it?
Obviously someone does.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
That's what I have been proposing, have a couple seating carriages for these stations.
Yes, and what has been said back is that providing some seats at intermediate stations doesn't justify diversion of the train away from its existing route and primary purpose.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Split the Caley sleeper service into East and West coast. Combine the lowland and highland portions.

East Coast from Kings Cross.
This would convey Inverness, Aberdeen, Edinburgh Newcastle and Leeds portions.

Southbound
Start from Inverness with Aberdeen and seating cars arriving Aberdeen at time current sleeper leaves and current times to Edinburgh. Attach Edinburgh portion. Leave for Newcastle. Attach one sleeper coach and depart for Leeds. At Leeds detach one Inverness/Aberdeen/Dundee-Leeds sleeper coach and attach one Leeds-London sleeper coach. Continue to London setting down at Peterborough and Stevenage.

Northbound
Pickup at Stevenage and possibly Peterborough if not too late. At Leeds, detach London-Leeds sleeper and attach Leeds-Aberdeen/Inverness sleeper. At Newcastle detach London-Newcastle sleeper. At Edinburgh detach London-Edinburgh sleepers and continue to Aberdeen/Inverness with the same class 93 that left London.

Inverness, Craigentiny?, Heaton, Neville Hill and Wembley would service coaches.
Shunting/ ETH locos needed at Edinburgh, Newcastle, Leeds and KX.
There are plenty of redundant 86s and 90s at Freightliner and DB for slow speed shunting moves a la 83/82s at Euston in 1990s.

West Coast from Euston
This would convey Inverness, Fort William and Glasgow portions.

Drop off Glasgow portion in Glasgow, reverse and now diesel hauled to Stirling where the Fort William portion is detached and diesel hauled there as now and continue to Inverness.
Reverse order southbound

If class 93 hauled from London, detach Glasgow and Inverness portion at Carstairs, continue on electric towards Helensburgh and diesel on to Fort William.
Diesel haul Inverness portion and electric haul Glasgow portion from Carstairs.

The likes of Bald Rick and the Planner will probably shoot it down as not enough capacity on only two trains when there are currently four. I do not know current loadings.
It is only Speculative.
I will shoot it down due to the amount of operational, performace risk and massive increase in staff and facilities to run it. We are back to who is subsidising all this for a handful of passengers at Newcastle and Leeds.

The Prisoner

I very much doubt there will be any changes to CS in the foreseeable future.

Having caught the highland service from Crewe to Fort William I was very surprised how many people got on there - platform was pretty full.

Crewe is accessible for this service from the West and East Midlands, north west and north wales coast (I had arrived from Chester) and south wales.

Preston as next stop was a little less busy, but is the logical joining point from Manchester and Liverpool.

Newcastle is the logical joining point only for the north east. Doesn’t make as much sense.

Newcastle and Yorkshire also have direct daytime services to Inverness and Aberdeen to dilute the market - no similar WCML service.

I’d posted in this forum as to why we can’t seem to make sleeper services work in the uk when Europe is seeing a renaissance of such services. Personally think a rethink/redesign of rolling stock to allow a greater volume (couchette style) is the only answer to make such services an attractively priced option requiring less staff, but that’s a different conversation.

paul1609

Established Member
I think an overnight/sleeper service of the cross country route calling at major locations such as Bristol, Birmingham, Leeds, Newcastle and Edinburgh would I think have some merit.

Particularly calling at Birmingham which as been often suggested as a calling point for the WCML sleeper.
Birmingham to Scotland is about 5 hours during the day. I can imagine an overnight/sleeper could be designed to add an hour or so to make it a more acceptable sleep
Im old enough to have been sent on the Plymouth to Edinburgh Sleeper several times when I first joined the Navy. It was a real party train but non MOD useage was close to zero. The route was closed within 6 months of Rosyth closing as a Naval Base. I believe it has been revived once since with a portion to Poole thrown in for one season. Carried air around plus a few train enthusiasts and then was withdrawn again.

Veteran Member
I’d posted in this forum as to why we can’t seem to make sleeper services work in the uk when Europe is seeing a renaissance of such services. Personally think a rethink/redesign of rolling stock to allow a greater volume (couchette style) is the only answer to make such services an attractively priced option requiring less staff, but that’s a different conversation.
I would explore the idea of NJ pods in the UK - but would give them a couple of years to prove themselves.
I would next see if you could make the idea work in a Mk5 bodyshell (Mk5 for capacity and because there might be a few going spare, but height might be an issue), and then wait till the time comes for the GW Mk3s to be withdrawn.
At that moment you slim down the CS fleet to provide cars for the Riviera and introduce your pod cars to provide a mix of accommodation on CS (at a guess, on the Lowland not the Highland).

This is of course speculation, but perhaps less unlikely than ForumRail plc operating an Open Access Anglo-Scottish sleeper or CS deciding to run a third train.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
This is of course speculation, but perhaps less unlikely than ForumRail plc operating an Open Access Anglo-Scottish sleeper or CS deciding to run a third train.
I do like the idea of ForumRail plc… :D A possible motto, “To boldly go where even Ian Yeowart wouldn’t bother”…

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Yes, and what has been said back is that providing some seats at intermediate stations doesn't justify diversion of the train away from its existing route and primary purpose.
Not if the service was running through the station, say an ECML sleeper could stop at Newcastle or York as it runs through.

cle

Established Member
We have services to the two only locations which are 1) far enough and 2) appealing enough. And I don’t even rate Cornwall especially but I know others do.

We are both small and an island, after all. And we are small in mind, hence the political issues in not utilising the incredible asset that is the Channel Tunnel, in this context. That would be one way to expand.

Another might be X to Scotland or Y to Cornwall, eg, Cardiff / Bristol / Birmingham then non-stop to Scotland overnight. But they can all get to Crewe. Or Edinburgh / Newcastle / York / Leeds / Sheffield, then non-stop to Plymouth etc…

Europe is a continent with variety in every direction, and many more long journeys possible.

SynthD

We are both small and an island, after all. And we are small in mind, hence the political issues in not utilising the incredible asset that is the Channel Tunnel, in this context. That would be one way to expand.
Invent a service that makes using the tunnel an easy next step. A sleeper from Fishguard via Cardiff and Bristol Parkway or Glasgow via Edinburgh and Newcastle, to Folkestone. In the morning everyone goes through the customs and the tunnel on a coach to Calais-Frethurn in time for a Paris bound LGV. I still don’t think that would be popular.

paul1609

Established Member
4) the market for overnight travel to and from these places is small. It appears there are three coaches most nights from Newcastle to London, and one of those arrives at Victoria coach station after the first three morning trains have arrived at Kings Cross. These coaches stop en route from Scotland to London, and carry passengers from (variously) Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Leeds and Nottingham to London. I‘d be surprised if there are more than 40 passengers a night from Tyneside / Teeside / Yorkshire (and the same the other way)
Ive done the overnight coach to/from the north east for football on several occasions.
Of the three coaches, Flixbus service is an intermediate stop on its "stopping service" to Edinburgh.
Megabus is primarily for students (the last call before Newcastle is Durham University).
National Express is the termination of a service that calls at Doncaster, Darlington, Stockton, Sunderland.
When ive done it usually on a Friday night its maybe 70% full leaving London with maybe 10 people arriving at Newcastle (not all will have travelled from London).
Its definantly a "nothing to see here" situation as far as the potential for a rail service.

The Prisoner

We have services to the two only locations which are 1) far enough and 2) appealing enough. And I don’t even rate Cornwall especially but I know others do.

Another might be X to Scotland or Y to Cornwall, eg, Cardiff / Bristol / Birmingham then non-stop to Scotland overnight. But they can all get to Crewe. Or Edinburgh / Newcastle / York / Leeds / Sheffield, then non-stop to Plymouth etc…

Europe is a continent with variety in every direction, and many more long journeys possible.
The size of the UK being an issue was the conclusion I think we all came to in a thread I started at the start of the year (here if anyone wants to read it)

I do feel a Scotland/North/Midlands/South West has some legs, but suspect the overnight UK rail market is too small/niche to support profitable year round sleeper services without subsidy.

As @cle mentions a UK - Europe sleeper service (let's assume there us a way to check people in with passport control at one or two key stations) would be worth a business case I feel - higher density couchette style would be needed to bring competitive pricing, but trying to fill a route with relatively moderate demand with premium compartments I'm going to guess won't stack (such as Midnight Trains' Edinburgh to Paris idea). Routes would doubtlessly have to be very well chosen with Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague and Barcelona the obvious destinations.

Maybe one of the new Channel Tunnel operators can finally connect Europe with Manchester, Birmingham etc - day or night. Surely Manchester to Amsterdam in 6 hours or Paris in 4.5 would get some custom?!

cle

Established Member
It would still be weighted to London/SE demand. It's closest to Europe in journey times, in affinity (second homes, EU citizens, business travel) - and frankly, it has higher income levels.

If there were sleeper services to e.g. Bordeaux, Marseille, Barcelona - to name three, they would live and die on London demand. And they still be relatively seasonal! Paris/Amsterdam are too close. Geneva is interesting, with a mix of business, VFR, and year-round leisure - and mid-distance. Milan and Berlin seem in that sweet spot too, potentially. Barcelona has a similar mix, but is much further.

Also let's not be too self-centric - it goes two ways; inbound demand from Europeans to London specifically. Same for Scots - they aren't going to Sheffield or Leeds in droves, nothing there they don't have - they need London, hence the service.

The exile

Established Member
The only ECML destinations that are far enough from London to need the sleeper are probably Durham and points north (sorry Darlington!). Presumably it would be possible to serve them via Edinburgh….

Status
Not open for further replies.