• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Wales 'Metro' updates

markymark2000

On Moderation
Unfortunately, TfW have taken on a wealth of rather desperate Sword agency security. They're particularly prominent at Newport, brought in to make sure people do not try to enter the closed off areas where the roof is being repaired. However, they consider themselves to be more important than they are, and hassle passengers on the daily. The WHSmith clerk, a lovely older lady, was telling me how sick of them she was.

"They're clearly just bored and want to nag someone to pass the time," she said to me. I told her they're probably failed police applicants ;)
They are prominent all up the valley, wannabe bus coordinators. They are on every station up the Rhonnda and spend their day winding up bus drivers telling them to stop 10 metres forward or back even if that means parking on a pedestrian crossing or park closer to a certain point so that they don't have to walk as far. No care for where the actual bus stop is.

TFW doesn't want proper bus coordinators who know bus times and are trained to sort buses, they ask for Sword instead.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
They are prominent all up the valley, wannabe bus coordinators. They are on every station up the Rhonnda and spend their day winding up bus drivers telling them to stop 10 metres forward or back even if that means parking on a pedestrian crossing or park closer to a certain point so that they don't have to walk as far. No care for where the actual bus stop is.

TFW doesn't want proper bus coordinators who know bus times and are trained to sort buses, they ask for Sword instead.
They be told to f off by me if they tried that or better yet id be handbrake on bus in neutral then out the cab and yelling them.to bloody park it

Interesting; as of 1 July when I rode both lines on an Explorer ticket there were no wires up at all north of Pontypridd. The masts were complete at Abercynon but on the Merthyr branch many were no more than the basic pole, particularly on the single line sections. Work was more advanced on the Aberdare line overall though even there one pole was lying flat on the ground by the footbridge (which is no doubt the problem!) at the Up end of Penrhiwceiber station and the masts had not yet reached Aberdare itself. Energisation is due on 7th October but particularly after what happened between Llandaf and Radyr a few months back I would think they would have wanted to leave the wiring as late as possible because of the likelihood of theft.
Its gone up very quickly like ypu said oy a fortnight or so ago I saw the wires up on the line as it passed behind pontypridd bus station but nothing at Abercynon then last Sunday I pull up at the bus stop by the Abercynon shops looking directly at the station area and seeing all the wiring up

WelshBluebird

Established Member

Not that this is a defence for any of it, but I can't imagine it's a fun job! When we had the heat a month or two back I was back home and was talking to one of the staff whilst waiting for a replacement bus. They are expected to just stand there for their shift, no seat provided, no water or refreshments, and basically next to no information either.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Not that this is a defence for any of it, but I can't imagine it's a fun job! When we had the heat a month or two back I was back home and was talking to one of the staff whilst waiting for a replacement bus. They are expected to just stand there for their shift, no seat provided, no water or refreshments, and basically next to no information either.
Part of that is down to TFW though as they make it difficult for any of the contractors to use toilets. Like Radyr for example, contractors have to use publicly used and abused portaloos meanwhile there is a brick building sat there with a usable normal toilet, no contractors allowed as it's locked and no one will unlock it. How do I know there's a normal toilet in the ticket office block, because it's used about once every few months if the ticket office unlock it. Extremely rare though. I've seen flying pigs more than I've seen that toilet open.

As for the other points, they pick where they work (I've spoken to their staff many times) and so they know what they are in for. Be prepared. Fail to prepare, I have no sympathy. Bus coordinators manage it well, it's just Sword staff. It's mostly uni students who want easy extra money and what easier money than standing around all day doing nothing.

Lack of information is a TFW issue. If they employed bus staff rather than Sword, bus staff have all the information to do with the buses, or know where to get it.

There’s been an incident of theft with the wiring already?
Attempted theft,yes. Extract from the Branch Line Society's "Branch Line News": On 24 Feb the 05.13 ECS Canton to Aberdare hit something with a loud bang just north of Llandaf station and came to a stand at around 5m 00ch (32ch before Radyr) with cable wrapped around the front of the DMU and ripped into fibreglass bodywork sections with fuel leaking from beneath. The line was blocked and train crews had to be taxied to Pontypridd to work trains stabled there. Some services, particularly during the morning peak, were diverted via Ninian Park but most were cancelled throughout and the Coryton to Radyr 'City Line' service was also suspended until the late evening. [It doesn't take much.] Knock on effects were delays on the Rhymney, Penarth and Barry lines with some cancellations on the last two.
There was much slack cable and damaged OHLE registry arms; about 15 masts were affected. It could have been much worse; the fuel leak was limited to 3 to 4 litres and fortunately did not ignite or enter watercourses. Following removal of the loose cable, the line reopened with the 15.35 Cardiff Central to Treherbert. The cause was attempted cable theft.
The juice is now on south of Pontypridd - where OHLE actually exists of course :smile:; the planned switch on date was 20th May but I don't know whether that was met.

WesternBiker

I'm glad you agree. One of these delightful chaps, after taking some time to get to me due to struggling to fit in the aisle of the 170, approached me when I took a picture of one of TfW's 170205 seats (with a XC seat cover, that's why) sternly told me I was not allowed to take photos on board a train. I'm sure this nonsense made him feel very important, I'm sure.
Ugh. This sort of thing really gets my goat. It takes no effort to be decent to people - which includes not making up rules off the top of their heads. And it reflects poorly on TfW management that they are not aware of their contractors' behaviour.

AdamWW

Established Member
Ugh. This sort of thing really gets my goat. It takes no effort to be decent to people - which includes not making up rules off the top of their heads. And it reflects poorly on TfW management that they are not aware of their contractors' behaviour.

Sounds like the contractor on the Rhymney loco-hauleds who wouldn't let people go to the loo in case it was a ruse and they were actually about to leap towards the door and stick their head out of the window.

56xx

A landslip is being reported near Troedyrhiw this morning. Not sure how bad this is?
Checked this out this afternoon. It's not a landslip. It's a collapsed section of an old retaining wall just south of Troedyrhiw Station.
Could be a relatively prompt temporary repair with a long term permanent solution to follow. Quite a significant presence on site.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Checked this out this afternoon. It's not a landslip. It's a collapsed section of an old retaining wall just south of Troedyrhiw Station.
Could be a relatively prompt temporary repair with a long term permanent solution to follow. Quite a significant presence on site.
Similar happened on the Rhymney line about 10 years back. for full repair will take months

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just a gentle reminder that this thread is to provide South Wales Metro Updates

BBC Wales running a story today regarding TfW reviewing future timetable plans, and cutting escalating project costs, including the metro.

This is being discussed here:

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but there's some talk on Twitter about the class 231's may be introduced on some of the Core Valley Lines whilst they await the 398's. No idea how accurate that is but the account that its coming from (SW_MetroUpdates) seems pretty on the ball about things so.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but there's some talk on Twitter about the class 231's may be introduced on some of the Core Valley Lines whilst they await the 398's. No idea how accurate that is but the account that its coming from (SW_MetroUpdates) seems pretty on the ball about things so.
756s I think :)
To allow 231s to go to Ebbw Vale, Maesteg and Cheltenham while the Rhymney awaits electrification. 150s would then service the Rhymney Valley, who draws the temporary short straw.

About time I had something better from Cathays station ;)

To allow 231s to go to Ebbw Vale, Maesteg and Cheltenham while the Rhymney awaits electrification. 150s would then service the Rhymney Valley, who draws the temporary short straw.

It's already happened - the current use of 231s on the Rhymney line is temporary as a result of TfW losing patience with the 769s.

Anonymous10

Established Member

Oh the joys I'll do Haverfordwest to tir Phil on a 150 I'm gonna love that. Looking forward to metro being completed. It'll be a real boost

Markdvdman

Well it was a 150 on the service to Carmarthen to arrive at Llanelli for 4:02pm. It was 21 mins late and absolutely rammed beyond belief! Anyway, will the 231s (756s) be cleared to run on Merthyr and Aberdare?

Last Hurrah

Well it was a 150 on the service to Carmarthen to arrive at Llanelli for 4:02pm. It was 21 mins late and absolutely rammed beyond belief! Anyway, will the 231s (756s) be cleared to run on Merthyr and Aberdare ?

231’s should be ok as far as Pontypridd . .

Some of the fault free running was done between Barry & Pontypridd via City line (Grangetown to Ninian Park direct link)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Well it was a 150 on the service to Carmarthen to arrive at Llanelli for 4:02pm. It was 21 mins late and absolutely rammed beyond belief! Anyway, will the 231s (756s) be cleared to run on Merthyr and Aberdare?
Worth noting a FLIRT has been to Aberdare before.

And it would be 756s not 231s.

231’s should be ok as far as Pontypridd . .

Some of the fault free running was done between Barry & Pontypridd via City line (Grangetown to Ninian Park direct link)
Again, pernickety I know, but it would be 756s not 231s.

snowball

Established Member
In the August Modern Railways, the Trackwatch column includes the equivalent of a whole page (end of 106 and most of 107) to changes in Wales, mostly Core Valley Lines but also Port Talbot resignalling and a bit on the Ebbw Vale line.

Envoy

Established Member
The full planning application for land east of Cardiff Bay station has now appeared on the Cardiff Council Planning Portal. No provision appears to have been made to set aside land for a Metro route connecting Cardiff Bay station with lines to Splott to the east - the so called ‘Cardiff Cross Rail’. Presumably this means that they intend for the tram-trains to take to the streets in this area? That being so, then surely they could be delayed by all the pedestrians and other traffic? If delays took place, then that could screw up the whole system where they take to the present rails at Cardiff Central to cross the Taff bridge?

Those interested might like to click the following link to the Cardiff Council Planning Portal and insert 23/01705/VAR in the search box. Having done that, I suggest you then click ‘documents’ and ‘People Movement Strategy’. https://www.cardiffidoxcloud.wales/publicaccess/

The full planning application for land east of Cardiff Bay station has now appeared on the Cardiff Council Planning Portal. No provision appears to have been made to set aside land for a Metro route connecting Cardiff Bay station with lines to Splott to the east - the so called ‘Cardiff Cross Rail’. Presumably this means that they intend for the tram-trains to take to the streets in this area? That being so, then surely they could be delayed by all the pedestrians and other traffic? If delays took place, then that could screw up the whole system where they take to the present rails at Cardiff Central to cross the Taff bridge?

Those interested might like to click the following link to the Cardiff Council Planning Portal and insert 23/01705/VAR in the search box. Having done that, I suggest you then click ‘documents’ and ‘People Movement Strategy’. https://www.cardiffidoxcloud.wales/publicaccess/
The plan is for the trams to cross Lloyd George Avenue after Cardiff Bay station, run along the street then behind the multi storey car park, and end up at Pierhead Street. Presumably this will be a temporary terminus until the line gets extended towards Splott & Newport Road (or maybe if).

Envoy

Established Member
You Tube video of engineers testing the 398’s :>

I have posted this here but note that any other comments about the rolling stock should be in the Class 398 Tram-train discussion.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I have posted this here but note that any other comments about the rolling stock should be in the Class 398 Tram-train discussion.
Is that your call to make? I’m curious to know why you can post about 398s but decided on the staff team’s behalf that no one else can ;)

Genuinely think they look a fantastic upgrade despite the toilet moans, as long as one’s going to Central are regularly coupled. Would still really appreciate interim 756s on the line all the while it’s going to take so long to complete 398 testing.

I’m so disappointed that we’ve not seen any changes to local stations really though. Grangetown is an absolute state, Heath High Level’s former Arriva signs are so faded they’re almost not readable, Cathays still has a mixture of fonts on it nameboards (all Arriva) and no announcemenf speakers, etc. they all look so very run down and almost all still have white and green faded Helvetica Neue signage.

Cardiff Central as I’ve mentioned before also looks exceptionally shabby, with a third of the green paint on the roof gone.

Last edited:

Cathays147

Is it wishful thinking that the impeding Euro 2028 bid which will see Cardiff probably hold somewhere in the region of 6 games lead to lots of the inner city stations receiving upgrades and perhaps the speeding up of the development of Central?

takno

Established Member
Is it wishful thinking that the impeding Euro 2028 bid which will see Cardiff probably hold somewhere in the region of 6 games lead to lots of the inner city stations receiving upgrades and perhaps the speeding up of the development of Central?
The way bids for major sports competitions are looking at the moment they'll be lucky if they get enough investment to give the stadium a lick of paint.

Envoy

Established Member
Is that your call to make? I’m curious to know why you can post about 398s but decided on the staff team’s behalf that no one else can ;)
I thought I would mention the video from the engineers testing the 398 here because this is the main Metro thread. However, we know full well that if people continue writing about the rolling stock under this Infrastructure section that they will get a message from the moderators.
Genuinely think they look a fantastic upgrade despite the toilet moans, as long as one’s going to Central are regularly coupled. Would still really appreciate interim 756s on the line all the while it’s going to take so long to complete 398 testing.

I’m so disappointed that we’ve not seen any changes to local stations really though. Grangetown is an absolute state, Heath High Level’s former Arriva signs are so faded they’re almost not readable, Cathays still has a mixture of fonts on it nameboards (all Arriva) and no announcemenf speakers, etc. they all look so very run down and almost all still have white and green faded Helvetica Neue signage.

Cardiff Central as I’ve mentioned before also looks exceptionally shabby, with a third of the green paint on the roof gone.
Indeed, may stations look shabby in the Metro area. Penarth is still in Arriva turquoise.