• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Class 313 withdrawal/storage/scrapping updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Probably a bit premature for a "313 withdrawal thread" but with further reductions in the Southern timetable (from 15th May), e.g. withdrawal of the Brighton - West Worthing stoppers and Hove/Lewes shuttles, will units be placed into warm store or just rotated to keep them serviceable?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

railwaytrack

Probably a bit premature for a "313 withdrawal thread" but with further reductions in the Southern timetable (from 15th May), e.g. withdrawal of the Brighton - West Worthing stoppers and Hove/Lewes shuttles, will units be placed into warm store or just rotated to keep them serviceable?
Considering that all of the 455s are withdrawn from the timetable change i think they will need all of the 313s in service even more than now so that more of the 377s are available to replace the 455s in the Greater London area. Once the 377/5 from SE and 387/1 from GN start coming to Southern than they can start thinking about withdrawing the 313s from service. But i think until then all of the 313s will be needed.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
But i think until then all of the 313s will be needed.
Why? From the new timetable, they only work hourly Brighton to Portsmouth (3 diagrams), the Littlehampton to Bognor / Portsmouth cycle (4 diagrams) and Brighton to Seaford (3 diagrams). They aren't being put on anything else to release 377s and there are 19 units.

Removing the Hove shuttle, Lewes shuttle and West Worthing services saves 5 diagrams.

Last edited:

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
Why? From the new timetable, they only work hourly Brighton to Portsmouth (3 diagrams), the Littlehampton to Bognor / Portsmouth cycle (4 diagrams) and Brighton to Seaford (3 diagrams). They aren't being put on anything else to release 377s and there are 19 units.

Removing the Hove shuttle, Lewes shuttle and West Worthing services saves 5 diagrams.
Exactly, hence my query as 5 units could possibly be stood down or used as Christmas tree spares

trainmania100

Established Member
I had a nice day Saturday, plenty of 6 car 313 action. However on the Sunday there was a 4/377 on the seafords, so one must have broken.
I recon they'll keep marching on for a while longer, used wherever they can

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
However on the Sunday there was a 4/377 on the seafords, so one must have broken.
I recon they'll keep marching on for a while longer, used wherever they can
Does one of the diagrams carry over from Saturdays? On Saturday, both Seaford diagrams were 4 car 377s.

bramling

Veteran Member

It is quite chilling just how much has been removed from the Coastway timetables. This is hardly prime commuter or business traveller territory, so one would have thought travel would have bounced back. Of course, it may have done so but DFT are content to tolerate overcrowding.

railwaytrack

It is quite chilling just how much has been removed from the Coastway timetables. This is hardly prime commuter or business traveller territory, so one would have thought travel would have bounced back. Of course, it may have done so but DFT are content to tolerate overcrowding.
Yes i agree. The Brighton to Lewes services in particular really need to be returned to six trains per hour in each direction (every ten minutes in each direction) like it was before the corona virus. This line is always packed. As the stations of Falmer and Moulsecoomb are both located next to large university sites so get very busy. Most trains on this line these days are full and standing.

trainmania100

Established Member
Usually 377 when Brighton play at home supplemented by 6-car 313
If the diagrams carry over then that would explain it.
Although Saturday surprised me - no 8 car 377s on seafords - I thought that was usually what happened for football matches. Perhaps the 455 reduction is already taking its toll

Bishopstone

Established Member
i think you will see a few class 313 back on the Brighton/Hastings. This will free up more class 377's.

I hope not.

Brighton-Hastings is only 1tph (was 2tph pre-Covid) for most of the day, and needs far more capacity than a 313 provides.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
i think you will see a few class 313 back on the Brighton/Hastings. This will free up more class 377's.
Brighton guards don't sign to Hastings according to the guard route knowledge thread. While Eastbourne guards could work the services if 313s were used to Hastings are Southern really going to roster an increase in guard working to allow 313s to cover this?

All services from Brighton to Hastings remain advertised as having first and second class.

Class 466

Established Member
There's enough 377s without the need to use 313s on anything extra. The clock is ticking for them and they'll almost certainly have a dedicated thread by the end of this year. 377163/164 return to Southern on Saturday 14th from Southeastern. They're currently paired up in Ashford Down Sidings.

KJCross1983

From what I have been told 313's will be gone by the end of this December, With a number of options available. They will either be replaced with 377/5's or 375's. The last option is to reduce the service even more and not replace them.

Class 466

Established Member
From what I have been told 313's will be gone by the end of this December, With a number of options available. They will either be replaced with 377/5's or 375's. The last option is to reduce the service even more and not replace them.
It'll be 377s. Southeastern wouldn't be getting rid of 375s over the subleased 377/5s.

Bishopstone

Established Member
It will be interesting to see whether the 377/5s come directly to the coast, or whether they free-up some 377/3s from the metro area to rotate down, such that 3-car replaces 3-car.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
377/5s are fully DOO capable, 375s require a guard. Say no more...
375s run DOO inside the Southeastern metro area but don't have body mounted cameras to run DOO everywhere.

However, I don't really understand why 375s are being mentioned in this thread at all.

It will be interesting to see whether the 377/5s come directly to the coast, or whether they free-up some 377/3s from the metro area to rotate down, such that 3-car replaces 3-car.
That presumably depends on where the 3-car units are deemed to be most useful. If 10-car railway in the metro area is a thing of the past the 377/3s might as well be on the coast.

physics34

Established Member
A reminder that its all but official that 12x 377/5s are coming to southern late august, for 'application of southern branding' (no idea what that is gonna entail) ready for mid September.

miklcct

On Moderation
Any idea what's the chance of getting onto a 313 on a Southampton - Eastbourne round-trip on a Saturday, assuming I always get on the first train which travels in the direction I want, changing when necessary?

Class 466

Established Member
Any idea what's the chance of getting onto a 313 on a Southampton - Eastbourne round-trip on a Saturday, assuming I always get on the first train which travels in the direction I want, changing when necessary?
Impossible. 313s don’t go to either Southampton or Eastbourne

LA50041

Established Member
zero chance at Southampton or Eastbourne if you take direct trains.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Impossible. 313s don’t go to either Southampton or Eastbourne
They're not booked to. They have done before, and were booked on limited Hastings diagrams pre-COVID, in fact, but the chance is slim to zero of it happening again.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
Nearest you'll get to Eastbourne on a 313 is Lewes

Nearest you'll get to Southampton on a 313 is Bedhampton and Portsmouth

railwaytrack

313s have been to, Southampton, Eastleigh, Hastings, Ore, Eastbourne, in the past. But that was before DOO came in so there were plenty of Guards that signed both the 313s and these routes. These days the Guards for the 313s at Brighton and Barnham no longer sign the route between Bedhampton and Southampton so it would not be possible. I believe the Guards based at Eastbourne sign 313s and Brighton to Seaford and Eastbourne to Ashford but they do not sign between Lewes and Hampden Park any more so that prevents 313s from going there. So unfortunately they are only used on Brighton to Seaford and Brighton to Portsmouth and the Bognor Regis and Littlehampton branches currently.

Class 466

Established Member
They're not booked to. They have done before, and were booked on limited Hastings diagrams pre-COVID, in fact, but the chance is slim to zero of it happening again.
There was one working to Hastings a day that went long before COVID. Southampton was during engineering works when every train on SN was Guard operated. Use of 313s is limited to pretty much booked diagrams now and as soon as there's any engineering works it's far easier (and better for passengers) to use a spare 377.

Status
Not open for further replies.