• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern, Thameslink & Great Northern 'Not On Strike' Details

dk1

Veteran Member
I don't think it was even running today. It wasn't showing in a journey planner or RealTimeTrains for CBG to ELY either. Nor is it tomorrow.

Several alterations/cancellations whilst working to rule continues for the next couple of weeks. Could be the reason.

I’m not too sure of the alterations on WA or GE routes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWM

Established Member
I don't think it was even running today. It wasn't showing in a journey planner or RealTimeTrains for CBG to ELY either. Nor is it tomorrow.

It seems to appear here for me:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:L13730/2023-08-01/detailed

There was a 720 in platform 3 when I arrived at Ely just before 7, which I assume was that. I didn't realise until just now that it then goes ECS all the way back to Liverpool Street, seems a bit of a waste.

Anyhow, at least the Cambridge to Kings Lynn shuttle was extremely quiet when I finally got it. Probably because it is due to leave Cambridge a few minutes *before* the Thameslink semi-fast from London arrives, which doesn't seem to be the best bit of planning ever, but that's GN for you.

infobleep

Veteran Member
we are all going to take the train from London/ East Croydon to Uckfield on Saturday and the 29 bus is running from there to Brighton 3 times an hour, taking around 50 minutes for two quid. only problem the last train back is at 830pm so I think we will miss Britney Spears
I wonder if that will be dangerous or is it only dangerous at the station because of the third rail, which I fully accept is very dangerous?

I was actually looking at going to Britghton with someone else but not surprisingly couldn't find anywhere in a price range they were happy with to stay. Even the campsites are of course fully booked.

Last edited:

Magdalen Road

And this morning there's a track circuit failure at Downham Market, so yet more problems with the King's Lynn line!

richardderby

I wonder if that will be dangerous or is it only dangerous at the station because of the third rail, which I fully accept is very dangerous?

I was actually looking at going to Britghton with someone else but not surprisingly couldn't find anywhere in a price range they were happy with to stay. Even the campsites are of course fully booked.
there is no third rail at Uckfield, it is class 170 territory and not electrified from Hurst Green. The closest the trains are running to Brighton on Saturday, and connects with B & H 29 bus service (now 3 per hour) to Lewes and Brighton...

infobleep

Veteran Member
there is no third rail at Uckfield, it is class 170 territory and not electrified from Hurst Green. The closest the trains are running to Brighton on Saturday, and connects with B & H 29 bus service (now 3 per hour) to Lewes and Brighton...
I was thinking more buses in general terms third rail.

MikeWM

Established Member
And this morning there's a track circuit failure at Downham Market, so yet more problems with the King's Lynn line!

It's cursed, it appears! Looking at the delays, seems like (yet) another good day to be working from home, which fortunately I can.

0614 from Ely to KGX - 86 minutes late.
0714 - 97 (!) minutes late.
0816 - cancelled
0916 - 'just' 28 late
1018 - 50 late

with of course the usual trains between these cancelled anyway due to 'not on strike' reductions. Ouch.

Magdalen Road

The 0518 was cancelled too. It looked like every other early morning train was cancelled (in addition to the overtime ban "temporary timetable" aka delay repay claims not allowed, cancelled trains).
Thankfully I have a day off today. Tomorrow however.....
Once again I wonder whether GTR should give compensation for annual season ticket holders.

MikeWM

Established Member
The 0518 was cancelled too. It looked like every other early morning train was cancelled (in addition to the overtime ban "temporary timetable" aka delay repay claims not allowed, cancelled trains).

It appear to be fixed now, but given GN's inability to ever recover properly from any disruption, I'd imagine it won't be very happy-looking for the rest of the day.

Once again I wonder whether GTR should give compensation for annual season ticket holders.

I don't think there is much argument against the idea that they *should*, the number of problems over the last 12-18 months has been incredible, but somehow I doubt they will.

infobleep

Veteran Member
There's quite a detailed FAQ on Southern's website on the arrangements for Brighton Pride on 5 Aug, explaining the reasons for closing Brighton station.
There is indeed but far less info on all the other stations closing unless you look at a map.

I was at Haywards Heath Monday and Tuesday evening and heard no announcement about the station being closed this Saturday.

They did say there was no Eastcoast, Westcoast services and none to Brighton but what about people going towards London and how many people know trains through Lewes are on the Eastcoast even though the place isn't on the coast?

ctrh136

One oddity of this timetable is that the East Grinstead line is getting a better off-peak service every half hour rather than the usual hourly one. Though why they don't use that resource to improve peak time Redhill services is beyond me...

infobleep

Veteran Member
One oddity of this timetable is that the East Grinstead line is getting a better off-peak service every half hour rather than the usual hourly one. Though why they don't use that resource to improve peak time Redhill services is beyond me...
I can only assume they have no resources available to change it. After all, why would East Grinstead only need an improved service when staff don't wish to work any overtime?

BPN2022

you do have to think whether this reduced timetable is a test from the DFT to see how passenger numbers cope on GTRs reduced service before making permanent cuts? Reducing the need for overtime completely?

Sonic1234

If it is such a test, it has failed.
Hopefully. But I can imagine if the dispute continues GTR making this the permanent timetable. It may even be more efficient - off peak the impression you get is that each service has 2 trains worth of customers on one. For London, people will arrange things around the timetable due to the lack of options. Elsewhere, either people will do the same or if they don't find the timetable acceptable they will fund the Government via fuel taxes and parking charges. You can see it might be tempting for GTR/DfT.

BPN2022

Hopefully. But I can imagine if the dispute continues GTR making this the permanent timetable. It may even be more efficient - off peak the impression you get is that each service has 2 trains worth of customers on one. For London, people will arrange things around the timetable due to the lack of options. Elsewhere, either people will do the same or if they don't find the timetable acceptable they will fund the Government via fuel taxes and parking charges. You can see it might be tempting for GTR/DfT.
That’s my thoughts too. Could go half hourly on duplicated routes off peak such as Bedford. Half hourly is still enough and if doesn’t cost the government overtime to run it..

jon0844

Veteran Member
387s have been full and standing regularly all week, and as a consequence of 1tph and some cancellations, the inners have at times been full and standing also.

With school holidays, there's a lot more leisure travel so the trains aren't only busy in the peaks either.

PGAT

Established Member
Then the next strike in June 2024 comes along and slashes the timetable in half again...

MikeWM

Established Member
387s have been full and standing regularly all week, and as a consequence of 1tph and some cancellations, the inners have at times been full and standing also.

With school holidays, there's a lot more leisure travel so the trains aren't only busy in the peaks either.

Yes - the 1018 off Ely (ex-Kings Lynn) this morning was almost all full on arrival at Ely, and standing-room only on departure, with lots more waiting to get on at Cambridge North (patronage there has increased quite dramatically in the last 18 months or so). It is usually a busy train, but this was unusual. Good job the trains are 8 carriages now, else people would have been left behind.

PGAT

Established Member
Most Southern mainline trains have been running 12 coaches and they're all very well used off-peak, especially the Brighton trains which would be picking up air if it were operated by Gatwick Express

Minstral25

Established Member

Seriously annoying Redhill customers that there 6 trains per hour service has been cut to an effective 1 an hour service, yet East Grinstead and Caterham get more or less normal service.

GTR really hate Redhill.

OliverH68

Seriously annoying Redhill customers that there 6 trains per hour service has been cut to an effective 1 an hour service, yet East Grinstead and Caterham get more or less normal service.

GTR really hate Redhill.
They also really hate anyone going from Purley to stations north of London Bridge. The 0758 is always very cosy in the ASOS plan as that's the last through one until mid-afternoon. Nothing back home until 1644 from Blackfriars too!!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
That’s my thoughts too. Could go half hourly on duplicated routes off peak such as Bedford. Half hourly is still enough and if doesn’t cost the government overtime to run it..

My observations and experience too - busy but not stupid. Especially with 12 car Bedfords. You can see the DfT taking note of this service level.

PGAT

Established Member
Southern literally wrote on their Industrial Action page that "It’s likely you will need to queue and you may not be able to board your chosen service". There's no way they can intentionally bring such a bad timetable into permanent use.

especially the Brighton trains which would be picking up air if it were operated by Gatwick Express
It's almost as if its because there is only 1tph to each Coastway and no BTN - CBG Thameslinks and as such they're taking the brunt, not to mention the capacity failings in the Gatwick - Victoria / Croydon - Clapham portions.

Sussex Ben

Southern literally wrote on their Industrial Action page that "It’s likely you will need to queue and you may not be able to board your chosen service". There's no way they can intentionally bring such a bad timetable into permanent use.
Of course, it would help if they could at least maximise the length of all their services. Having peak Victoria to Brighton services only booked as 8-cars strikes me as really poor planning, especially as they’ve also gained Clapham Jn and East Croydon stops.